ForumsThe TavernMy Top 10 freeware programs

2 1378
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Here are my Top 10 Freeware programs:

10. Weather Channel Desktop--Useful weather info; maps; customizable skins and various other features
9. Skype--Live video chat; easy to use and a good way to keep in touch with family and friends
8. Piriform CCleaner--Cleans registry errors and system malfunctions
7. Piriform Defraggler--Defragments your hard drive; much more in-depth and analytics than the pre-installed defragmenter
6. Pinnacle Video Spin--Good video editor; many functions not available in Windows Movie Maker (although I frequently use both to make one movie with effects from both); advance codecs are available for purchase (although I'm sure there is a way to download codecs for free)
5. CNET Tech Tracker--Note: you must have a CNET account to use this program; the tech tracker will automatically check for updates to software that is available to download on their website for updates. Also, when new updates are available, a notification will pop up on your desktop.
4. iTunes--Even if you don't download anything from the store, iTunes is a popular media library and internet radio application
3. Real Player--Download videos from youtube; reads and plays a variety of media formats
2. My lockbox--Free version will hide and password protect one folder (you can have as many subfolders as you want though); custom skins; great functionality
1. Google Chrome--An alternative web browser; easy-to-use; nice apps available for download

Well, that's my list, feel free to post your lists

• 2 Replies
brunitxo
brunitxo
58 posts
Nomad

I recommend most of the softwares listed above, mainly for those ***** are on the process of installing useful things on your their computers. However, as a more complete substitute for Real Player, I'd suggest KMPlayer, it's truly amazing, and WinRar should also be on that list. Many people use that kind of file, so it's kind of a must-have software (although it's not free, you don't have to buy it to use most of its options). JDownloader is an useful download accelerator. There's also BitTorrent.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

^I also have KMPlayer (the Beta) and it's nice, but a little more difficult to use if you aren't familiar with it than Real Player. Also, Real Player has the youtube downloader and file converter built in, so you can download videos off youtube and convert them to "iPod format" and have the videos on your iPod. I have also heard that WinRar is very good. While I am not aware of all the capabilities of WinRar, I believe that 7-Zip has many of the same capabilities available. As far as torrenting, I'm not really into that a whole lot, but will check it out sometime (my other nerdy friend tells me it's the best thing for downloading things).

Showing 1-2 of 2