ForumsPopular MediaFavorite Video Game Music

41 15474
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

I believe that everyone reading this has most likely played a video game at some point in his/her lifetime. A very integral part of the video game experience nowadays is the music and songs that are incorporated into the game play. The way it is implemented into the games can sometimes make or break a cut scene or a boss battle. I'd like for this thread to be used for the discussion of our favorite video game song tracks. If there's ever been a video game song that you can youtube and have it send shivers down your spine after having not played the actual game for a long time, then share it here!

I have one with which I'd like to start off the thread. It's a track from the game Shadow of the Colossus. It's entitled "The Opened Way." I haven't played the game for years, but hearing this song brings me back mentally to epic battles against giant behemoths. It's actually a really good musical piece in itself. If anyone else would happen to know of anything similar to that, then I'd be most grateful if you'd tell me about it.

http://www.themoderndaypirates.com/pirates/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Shadow_of_the_colossus.jpg (courtesy of a google image search... I doubt the person who I got it from actually owned it, but there's a signature on there so I'm assuming it belongs to that person)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbOnvj9wZKc

The next song is a fan made song for SotC. It's title is "Wander on the Offensive." It's a lot different from the normal SotC musical pieces, but I think it's been done really well. I think the video has a link to the owners of the song... along with a free owner endorsed download if you happen to like it. I really enjoy the violin or whatever instrument they used to fake the violin in this piece. If anyone happens to know of any other songs that incorporate similar instrumental work (the violin!!! ;D) I'd be grateful for that too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ha320edRi8

I have more songs that I really enjoy that I'll gladly share if this thread gets off the ground.

• 41 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Okay, let's start this thread up
I like some of the music from Black Ops Zombies and MW2 campaign. Also, some of the mini-music things from Left 4 Dead (the first one) are pretty cool and add to the scary feel. Branching off of that, the second game isn't as scary in my opinion. It has more features, but is more of a fun campaign rather than terrifying.

Hobbed_it
Hobbed_it
32 posts
Blacksmith

I remember that stage 5 in the original Castlevania had good music.

Call me old school, but I still like it.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't really pay attention to music in games when I'm playing, but I absolutely loved listening to the music in the Dynasty Warriors games when I was playing them. It made playing the game better because it matched the fighting style of it and situations. Here's a playlist with 21 songs.

darkengy
darkengy
205 posts
Nomad

Assassin's Creed series OST, Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy OST are the best music I've heard so far

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I don't know if this is allowed as Game Music for what you intended SonataVarius, but I'm actually very fond of the music used in the game "Rebuild"!

That music fits the game and it's scenery fantastically! =D

(Game Music Credits: Music by Julio Kladniew, Dominik Hauser, Bjorn Lynne, Jason Livesay and Alexander Khaskin by way of 'shockwave-sound.com'.)

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I don't like any game music, which is why I play games on mute. They do nothing for me to add to the game, unless the game is a music game of sorts. Usually I turn it off so I can listen to the sound effects. The exception might be Grand Theft Auto, just because I can change the stations and listen to actual music.

NarutoAwesomeness28
NarutoAwesomeness28
187 posts
Nomad

I like the music in Halo.. especially when you're driving throughout the land in your Warthog

AvengedSevenfold11
AvengedSevenfold11
529 posts
Nomad

Mw3 has cool music. But Skyrim is the best!

Justinian2012
Justinian2012
25 posts
Nomad

The Uncharted Theme Song all the way. Skyrim's "Dovakiin" is also really cool. Um....Let's see what else. A ton of Nintendo tracks are also cool, like Zelda, Mario, and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

LordofAges
LordofAges
21 posts
Shepherd

I love pretty much all of the Halo music, just because it makes everything so epic, but I've recently fallen in love with Bastion; half of that being because of the music.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

Sorry for my being busy with school, but I have a few more songs that I'd like to share with everyone. The two songs I'm about to mention come from games that are some of my all time favorites.

First off...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100612200541/streetfighter/images/3/34/Guile-t3.jpg

That's right... It's Guile's Theme. If you didn't already know, the song pretty much goes with anything (It's a meme!:3). One of my first video games as a kid was Street Fighter II Turbo for the SNES. Alongside Ryu, Guile was one of my favorite characters then and is one of my favorite characters now. If you search the youtubes you'll find that there are several variations of Guile's theme song, and they're all pretty great. The one I've posted is my favorite version at the moment.

My second song for this post comes from another video game that stole 100s of hours of my childhood away.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/8/83321/1370794-sonic_adventure_2_battle_title_screen_super.jpg

That's right, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the gamecube is one of my favorite games of all times. I really do wish they'd bring back the chaos for some of the newer consoles ;_;. Now, the song from this game that I really liked was the song that played during the final boss fight... Live and Learn

Back in the day, that song coupled with super saiyan hedgehogs made the game beyond fun. I replayed that level so many times just because of that song it's ridiculous.

Jugg_Commando
Jugg_Commando
96 posts
Nomad

Goldeneye007 n64 and COD black ops have good music. I could listen to the cradle theme and firesale all day.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Well to go with one of my favorite games:
Hollow Bastion

The music here is great. I could listen to it all day. It is intense but not in the fighting sort of way. It just seems to be telling you that something big is coming.

Cherezig
Cherezig
58 posts
Nomad

Health contributed some nice music to Max Payne 3.

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

Okay, computer game. I love the msic from symphony. The game is on armorgames if you wanna check it out.

Showing 1-15 of 41