ForumsThe TavernDoes anyone else have this hobby?

20 5500
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

I make friendship bracelets.

I know it sounds funny but I've seen a surprising number of guys, real teenage guys, making bracelets for their friends! I was wondering if any of you AGers make them as a hobby or know anyone who does.

Before I started making them I thought it sounded really lame, but it's actually so addictive :P I've even tried making my own patterns here.

• 20 Replies
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

I can make really simple ones, but have never tried any complicated ones. I wouldn't call it a hobby of mine, though.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Collecting stamps, money and coins and old antiques. but my most collection for stamps, money and coins is almost 250 plus plus some rare ones.

Way to completely not read the OP.

What's the appeal for these? And what are they generally made out of?
kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

never tried to make one. might try

Xavierthe9
Xavierthe9
155 posts
Farmer

no. but, i might see one every now and then.

loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

Well I am training to be a open water diver so I guess that counts

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Weren't they those things that were linked to protsitution...? No. Here's the link anyways.

But naw, never did, I know people in the school did but that fad passed.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Oh! Nice one there jezz! Excellent hobby! =D

Did you think of making a legitimate business in the future, or are you making them for friends only, kind of like a unique one-of-a-kind friend present? Just curious... =)

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

I was just about to complain about this thread getting locked -.-'

:O Oo! I like those!

Sweet! I didn't think I'd actually find anyone who liked them here.

Well I am training to be a open water diver so I guess that counts

Counts as what? It's not like you go around knotting bracelets underwater is it.

Weren't they those things that were linked to protsitution...?

No, but I know what you mean. I used to wear those plastic bracelets to school until a classmate told me she heard they were worn for a reason, not for fashion.. :S

I'm talking about the bracelets made out of embroidery string or floss, where you knot it together. It takes quite a bit of time if you're doing a complex pattern.

Did you think of making a legitimate business in the future, or are you making them for friends only, kind of like a unique one-of-a-kind friend present? Just curious... =)

Well actually, yes. I was thinking that if I was good enough at making them by this summer I would try selling them to people over a hand-made craft site such as Etsy.com. I'd try letting people request patterns/colours and such, because I know how frustrating it is to want a certain design for a friend but not being able to find the right one in stores.
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

Counts as what? It's not like you go around knotting bracelets underwater is it.

I may have misread the OP and the title, it was late and no I don't do that hobby
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Well actually, yes. I was thinking that if I was good enough at making them by this summer I would try selling them to people over a hand-made craft site such as Etsy.com.

Good for you! I'm sure that there's a market for this type of wanna-have gadgets and 'jewelry'! =)
And I'm not trying to tell you how to run things, but I think you should definitely make sure to first make a well thought out plan before executing it completely!

I'd try letting people request patterns/colours and such, because I know how frustrating it is to want a certain design for a friend but not being able to find the right one in stores.

True, good point there, but... be aware that what you suggest here could become a bigger job than you might expect. Of course it's wonderful if it takes off, no doubt about that! But what I'm worried for (in your place) might be the problems of getting difficult patterns you might not be able to get right and all the equivalent comments on that... but this could very well be my worry-ing soul talking here, so take this very lightly or even disregard it, ok?
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

i made once one with these scooby doo beads. i still have it, but i never tried it with these beads.

dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

I made one before, I forgot what it was because I lost it a month after when I completed...Sometimes, I find them frustrating, but when I completed, I am like *YES!!!*

awesomeplayer312
awesomeplayer312
187 posts
Nomad

Its a weird hobby, but it can be really fun.I like dumping a whole bunch of beads on a table and looking at all the colors.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

One of my friends has a lot of bracelets. He is a bit different (vegetarian highschooler with a full-grown beard(That's why the cross country team calls him 'he-man'), but really nice and outgoing. I don't know if he made any of these, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

No I don't have this hobby. I am not good at making them too. But I know people who do make these.

Showing 1-15 of 20