ForumsGamesThings you hate in a game

189 30669
greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Plain and simple.What do you hate in a game.

• 189 Replies
Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

(with exception to assassins creed series, love the cliff hangers)

You won't be saying that after AC III...
Bobthebest
Bobthebest
28 posts
Shepherd

I agree with Loptice and ImTheMostManlyMan with the terrible voice acting. I also hate when you can't put on subtitles so you can mute the TV so that you don't have to listen to the voice acting.

Bobthebest
Bobthebest
28 posts
Shepherd

And I agree with Vague shade. After AC III you are going to HATE cliffhangers.

kirks011
kirks011
178 posts
Farmer

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE when a game makes u go through a tutorial everytime u play even if you have played before. After the first time it should be completely optional from the settings or something.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Assassin's Creed III had quite a few historical inaccuracies, mainly concerning th Templars. Example: Pitcairn was never killed by a Native American.

I don't know about you, but I do not use the AC series as historical reference.

I hate worthless characters. As in, characters with very little development who are still crucial to the game. Dishonored tried to get rid of this with the Heart and littered notes, but I think you should be able to optionally talk to people and learn about them, a bit like Skyrim/
jackfrost5555
jackfrost5555
2 posts
Farmer

Any game that makes you kill a certain number of things to keep going with the game.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Ok, but get this. What if the character already has a voice actor?

What I mean is that the character talks during the cinematic cutscenes that you have to watch at times, yet doesn't talk during the missions (or gameplay).

HINT: One example is Battlefield 3.

To be honest...I've never played Battlefield 3..but the only thing I can ask is during the gameplay, are there times when it would make sense for him to talk? (like, someone talking to him or something thereof)

If there are times like that...then yeah..I don't get why they wouldn't go ahead and use the resource they have, even if it'd be for just a few lines
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I think I have a few.

Lag, bad set camera angels that cannot be changed, bad voice acting, an easy game even though it's on insane mode, bad art, bad humor, with adventure games the short stories are annoying especially if they are games where you end it and then all you can do is start over. Tedious games.

Man I have so many things I hate in games, this is why I'm such a critique when it comes to games in general, any game, whatever it may be, I judge it on every freaking detail no matter what.

For example CoD.. You know that stupid game? Yes stupid.. But not because I jumped on the bandwagon.. It's only that they have so much to work on in that game, they can do so much instead of just adding useless crap into it that just makes no sense. Also, I'm not only talking about multiplayer I am also talking about campaign, zombies, spec ops, etc. I don't know how else to explain it.. Instead of going for an amazing game that takes 3-5 years, they go for a 8-12 month game that in the end is only worthwhile for the multiplayer(and zombies if you count for Treyarch).

Anyways I've said so much about just one franchise, but whatever. Basically what I meant with the whole CoD thing is that there are these amazing developers, that can innovate so much into gameplay, make new things and expand on games but instead they end up doing the minimal job possible. This doesn't only apply to CoD but a lot of other games too.

Cristinatron
Cristinatron
138 posts
Peasant

What ruins a game for me is horrible camera angles and not being able to adjust or change them. Even if I really love the game and everything about it is great, not being able to see what I'm doing really annoys me and I can't make myself continue playing.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

To be honest...I've never played Battlefield 3..but the only thing I can ask is during the gameplay, are there times when it would make sense for him to talk? (like, someone talking to him or something thereof)

If there are times like that...then yeah..I don't get why they wouldn't go ahead and use the resource they have, even if it'd be for just a few lines

Well, that's alright if you haven't played Battlefield 3. This problem applies to other first person shooters these days.

With my example, there are many times the main character should talk, but doesn't. For example, in one mission (called "Night Shift&quot, two US Marines named Blackburn (the main character in the mission) and Campo (the squad leader) are regrouping with the rest of the US Marines near a mall in Tehran, Iran (there's a war in Iran in the game). Campo starts to talk about how their platoon leader (Cole) is a "gloryhound" who wants to be promoted to Major even though he's been Captain for a few years. Blackburn doesn't provide any input as to whether he agrees or disagrees with Campo on the matter, which makes him less interesting to know about.

One more example would be in the mission "Kaffarov", where Blackburn runs into a Russian secret agent named Dima. Dima tells Blackburn about what the Iranians are planning to do and how they stole nukes from Russia. Blackburn is just dead silent during that moment and doesn't question what Dima is saying, meaning Blackburn is just another playable character that does what he's told and always takes a leap of faith instead of preparing himself for various conflicts and scenarios in the game.

The worst example of my problem has to belong to "Homefront". In that game, you're playing as a helicopter pilot named Jacobs. In the game, just about every second asks for Jacobs to talk yet he doesn't. He doesn't talk smack to the North Koreans when they capture him. He doesn't tell his teammates (Connor and Rianna) to stop arguing when they do. He doesn't talk to any non-playable characters when you press the action button to talk to them. (All you get is them talking to you, while you're just dead silent.)

I'm sorry to have to say this about Call of Duty, but its latest games are actually getting it right (BLOPS1 onward) when it comes to input from playable characters, making them have an actual personality instead of just being brain-dead characters that are just there to advance the story.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I'm sorry to have to say this about Call of Duty, but its latest games are actually getting it right (BLOPS1 onward) when it comes to input from playable characters, making them have an actual personality instead of just being brain-dead characters that are just there to advance the story.

Yeah they are getting that right with the campaigns especially with BO2, they did a good job on that, but it's mostly just in cut scenes where they do that the most.
SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

Saifur does not like lag either.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I hate it when some games with 2 or more players in it doesn't have a story for the multiplayer at all, you know the ones like "kill this many number of bad guys." I mean that's just stupid I want a story with the multiplayer not some random junk.

Maximagination
Maximagination
9 posts
Peasant

-Games that force you through a storyline
-Games that force you to do the tutorials (Kind of like 1, except they can be at any time)
-Games where you can't speed up the dialogue
-Games with jump scares
-Games with unbeatable scores

Yeah... the list goes on :|

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Yeah they are getting that right with the campaigns especially with BO2, they did a good job on that, but it's mostly just in cut scenes where they do that the most.

But still, I can't imagine any of those CoD games that don't have that function in their campaigns. Especially Black Ops, the game's campaign might have been less gritty if you weren't able to experience the interrogation scenes through Mason's point of view if cutscenes were implemented instead.
Showing 151-165 of 189