ForumsGamesThings you hate in a game

189 30642
greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Plain and simple.What do you hate in a game.

• 189 Replies
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Here are the things I hate:

Silent Protagonists: Now there are a few exceptions to this point, but I'm just going to ignore them for now. Basically, if you're playing as a hero who is mute or cannot talk, you don't seem to care much about him/her. If the story decides not to show you information on the main character, then you'd expect him/her to talk so you know their personalities and such. There are times when you want the hero to talk instead of staying silent for the whole time, like near the beginning of Dishonored where you want the main character to stand up for himself and say he didn't kill the leader of the people but instead he stays silent and then becomes a fugitive.

Client-Side Hit Detection: The opposite of Server-Side Hit Detection. Basically, if your internet connection is garbage then you can easily beat everyone who has a good internet connection. One example is Battlefield 3, which uses that type of hit detection. This means a guy from Brazil or Saudi Arabia can go into a North American server and kill players like no tomorrow which pisses off everyone from North America playing there because they can't hit that player from Brazil or any other country and by the time they do they're dead.

Spawn Protection: Spawn Protection allows players that have just spawned into the match to not take any damage right away. That's good to prevent spawn camping, but bad when the player can kill other players during the spawn protection. Spawn Protection can give players an unfair advantage over players that spawned a long time ago when they can do whatever they want during the protection period.

Horrible Artificial Intelligence (AI): Horrible AI can ruin the singleplayer or co-op of games completely. If the enemy AI sucks, then the game can become too easy. If the friendly AI sucks, then the game can become too hard. If both AI suck, then the game sucks. Homefront had horrible friendly AI. So horrible, that when I saw how the US Army soldiers were fighting in the singleplayer I was like "No wonder North Korea took over America..."

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Silent Protagonists

Question..do you mean silent like Jak from Jak and Daxter where he doesn't talk at all...or like Fallout/Skyrim where you get choices on what to say, but the person just doesn't speak 'em?
AllportHD
AllportHD
34 posts
Nomad

A really bad ending.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Question..do you mean silent like Jak from Jak and Daxter where he doesn't talk at all...or like Fallout/Skyrim where you get choices on what to say, but the person just doesn't speak 'em?

I did say there were exemptions from this quota, such as Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life games and Jak from the first Jak & Daxter game.

Basically, I don't like it when there are times that the character should talk, such as in Fallout and such other games.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Basically, I don't like it when there are times that the character should talk, such as in Fallout and such other games.

In their defense..that mean having to hire another voice actor (or more) and maybe even add in some of that extra data stuff that I don't care to learn haha

also..the big one...it would take out that huge RPG element..the idea that you are the character you are playing. If the character has a voice..it is as if it is some random person you are playing as, and not yourself living the adventure
MrStealth
MrStealth
151 posts
Peasant

i hate hackers

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Just thought of another one...a game that randomly throws you into combat un-expectantly.

Like..if there is a cutscene that has a build-up to there being a fight right after..that is ok. What Ihad in mind is during GTA: Vice City Stories..when defending Phil Collins, as you are forced to watch his performance..it just randomly goes back to you and there are multiple people to fight

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

SIDE QUESTS THAT AREN'T OPTIONAL. *throws controller at the wall*

No! I don't want to get 10,000 feathers by killing chickens for some random dude so that I can finish the main story.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

No! I don't want to get 10,000 feathers by killing chickens for some random dude so that I can finish the main story.

But! If you don't get 'em then you can't make the almighty feather sword!
ArmorPenetrator
ArmorPenetrator
23 posts
Farmer

a game that randomly throws you into combat un-expectantly.

Maybe you should expect combat anytime?
The_username
The_username
93 posts
Farmer

I hate it when you can't figure out what to do on a level. It doesn't give any hints, arrows pointing to where you need to go, or a map/radar to point out where you need to go. So you're going in circles on a level and it's time consuming.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I agree. And you make fair points pang, but I'm just not the kind of guy who really puts them self into a character and believes that they are a character. I want to see a story unfold, but I do overlook it when the game is awesome.

I also don't like it when my character doesn't have a name. It just makes conversations awkward. But again, I overlook it.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Assassin's Creed III had quite a few historical inaccuracies, mainly concerning th Templars. Example: Pitcairn was never killed by a Native American.

Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

In their defense..that mean having to hire another voice actor (or more) and maybe even add in some of that extra data stuff that I don't care to learn haha

also..the big one...it would take out that huge RPG element..the idea that you are the character you are playing. If the character has a voice..it is as if it is some random person you are playing as, and not yourself living the adventure

Ok, but get this. What if the character already has a voice actor?

What I mean is that the character talks during the cinematic cutscenes that you have to watch at times, yet doesn't talk during the missions (or gameplay).

HINT: One example is Battlefield 3.
chuncster
chuncster
12 posts
Nomad

Things i hate in a game? Endings. Always so anti-climatic (with exception to assassins creed series, love the cliff hangers)

I also hate how you buy a game with multiplayer enabled, within 5minutes of the game being released you have people that are absolutely amazing at it, it just ruins the fun...

Chunc

Showing 136-150 of 189