ForumsGamesThings you hate in a game

189 30654
greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Plain and simple.What do you hate in a game.

• 189 Replies
psychoraven
psychoraven
311 posts
Peasant

Hate it when you don't know what to do in the beginning cause the game is poorly explained

gnosiphile
gnosiphile
58 posts
Nomad

Forced cutscenes, which I think we're mostly in agreement on.
Unmoveable camera angles.
Board edges that stop you for no apparent reason. Build a cliff or a wall, for god's sake!
Prepurchase bonuses that aren't available with work on the game already.
Games that require a connection for single player.
Endings that have little to no work put into them, either being too generic (Yay, you won, winners don't do drugs) or pointing out the all-too-obvious opening for a sequel.
The press x or die mechanic, in pretty much any form.
In sandbox games, enemies that are -always- level appropriate. There should be easy and hard areas, and low level players -should- get their butts kicked for straying too far into midbie or highbie zones.
RPGs that appear to give the choice of accepting a new party member in the dialogue, but then force them to join no matter what you pick.
A lack of variation in "ranked" computer opponents in chess games. For me, no matter how many supposed opponents there are to choose from, there are only two settings: I always win, and I always lose.
Online chess games that allow humans to break a connection from the game after reaching an untenable position and not take the loss, or at least give me the win. This isn't -as- big an issue in timed games, but it's still a problem. Must I really sit at an immobile game for an hour to get the points?
Any MMO. (I'm still hooked on MUDs!)

miniphu
miniphu
72 posts
Nomad

I am fine with average graphics, but shoddy dialogue and/or voice acting really gets on my nerves. Also I really despise characters with unrealistic motivations and behaviors. It's a LOT better when the final boss has a reason/goal for his actions. I guess I hold (most) games to book-like standards. Exceptions include sandboxes.

My biggest pet peeve is a bad ending to a game. If it's cheesy, overdramatic/drawn out, or too predictable I feel the ending failed in its job. Bittersweet endings are among my favorites because that's how life works. Yes, you stopped the unconquerable evil, but it cost you in many ways. You EARNED the title of "hero" through some sacrifice. Thus, bittersweet endings.

Digobr23
Digobr23
125 posts
Shepherd

Linear games, annoying cameras (you must agree with me in this point), confusing controls, short campaigns and crappy multiplayer.

D_Gui
D_Gui
3 posts
Farmer

I hate games with bad storyline, it's essential to me that the game is immersive.

I also hate games with too much loading screens.. -_- It kills me..

BlasterKyubey210
BlasterKyubey210
2 posts
Nomad

I am fine with average graphics, but shoddy dialogue and/or voice acting really gets on my nerves. Also I really despise characters with unrealistic motivations and behaviors. It's a LOT better when the final boss has a reason/goal for his actions. I guess I hold (most) games to book-like standards. Exceptions include sandboxes.

My biggest pet peeve is a bad ending to a game. If it's cheesy, overdramatic/drawn out, or too predictable I feel the ending failed in its job. Bittersweet endings are among my favorites because that's how life works. Yes, you stopped the unconquerable evil, but it cost you in many ways. You EARNED the title of "hero" through some sacrifice. Thus, bittersweet endings.

The funny thing is, I don't exactly like Happy endings to games... I tend to prefer the more "Bleaker" endings, even those that say "All your work was for nothing..."

I don't like games with endless strings of Loading screens... I have moments where I can simply snap and someone or hurt them even for it.
Veksing
Veksing
1,676 posts
Peasant

What do you hate in a game?

I hate when... actually, I don't hate anything. I hate it when people complain about the games. If you don't like certain qualities in a game, tough diddles. Not every game will be perfect. Fact. People like different things in games. Why don't you create your own games if you feel like the games you currently play need better things?
rivercrab01
rivercrab01
1,242 posts
Nomad

I hate it when people complain about the games. If you don't like certain qualities in a game, tough diddles.

If I spend £40+ on a game, I expect it to be good quality. I don't want to spend money on something that completely wastes my time, or even goes as far as to actually make me think I could be having more fun if I just stay in my room staring at the blank screen. It's the game developers job to make sure that the consumers are happy with their product.
Loptice
Loptice
242 posts
Peasant

One of things I cannot stand is loads of paid DLCs ( which may be necessary to complete SP or to be good at MP) and crap like that.

stinkyjim
stinkyjim
470 posts
Shepherd

Bad AI. I think Empire: Total War was the game I found that had the worst AI ever; Both on the campaign map where the enemy don't even try to use strategy and disregard diplomacy completely, and on the battle map. The enemy would either run head first into my army and get obliterated when I flanked them, or create a massive circle around the flag and just stand there while I shoot them.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

I hate when... actually, I don't hate anything. I hate it when people complain about the games. If you don't like certain qualities in a game, tough diddles. Not every game will be perfect. Fact. People like different things in games. Why don't you create your own games if you feel like the games you currently play need better things?

I don't know if it's just me, but I personally love it when I hear somebody complain and rage about me killing them with a certain gun.
devilchild9725
devilchild9725
14 posts
Nomad

Glitches that make it imposable to finish, Subscription fees, Games that release and then almost immediately after put out DLC that should have been included in the full retail game.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

I hate it when people complain about the games. If you don't like certain qualities in a game, tough diddles. Not every game will be perfect.

..."Tough diddles"?

Anyway, I have a right to complain about a product I purchased. It is only through my complaints that the developers will understand what doesn't work in their games and force them to innovate in newer ways. A fantastic example is the transition between AC1 and AC2. One was a step in the right direction, the other was a journey in the greatest direction.

-Chillz
Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

two words, bad endings (or endings that i think are just bad in the game).

Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

noobs

Showing 61-75 of 189