ForumsWEPRMedia?/MP3, Xbox, Wii, TV

12 2848
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

What are your thoughts on media? TV, mp3 players, xbox 360, whatever you want. I do not see anything wrong with these, but I think too much can negatively influence your life. Sure, TV is fun, but it teaches us virtual reality. All of life's problems are solved in 30 minutes or less on TV. Post your thoughts here, but keep to the rules, please.

• 12 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

All of life's problems are solved in 30 minutes or less on TV.

I've had issue with this statement as we often see much more time compressed into a 30 minute or so segment. So while the show itself may take only 30 minutes or less to air, from the perspective of the characters days, even weeks can go by in that 30 minute time frame.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I also disagree with the statement as such.
I don't watch a lot of TV to be honest. But when i do it's more a family activity. I enjoy it for the simple fact i'm spending time with my family. The TV shows i watch on my own are just fun and obviously fiction. The only other thing i watch a good bit on TV is documentaries so it's a bit of education.

MP3 players i don't see as a problem or anything? They play music. Big Whoop. Suppose one could go into the piracy debate.

However Xbox 360 will be the death of me. It's so addictive. To the extent i'd rather game than sleep. Kind of messes up my abilities to stay awake in college ;o

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

The TV shows i watch on my own are just fun and obviously fiction.

True, but some people believe anything on TV is true. I watch some reality show, and it's really not reality, and most of those things I see don't happen in everyday life, but some people believe it.Some people think they know everything about life because of TV. now some things on TV may be true , but most aren't.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I think as more advanced gaming consoles are coming, lesser attention is being given to the story of the games.
Yes, games have better graphics, sound etc, but story is what they lack.
I still remember RE3,Dino crisis 2,GTA San andreas.
But I forget the that games I play today, a week later.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

try "the darkness" and then "the darkness 2" (in this order)
the story is real great and well... very dark =P
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

What I have always been doing is just taking my time with the few games that I play, play them half way (I'm funny like that, I have at least 20 games that I half finished) then search for a while for a new one, doing research on the games and everything until I find another really good game to play, although 2/3 recent games I found really weren't as good as the hype was around them (they were FEAR and Fallout3, FEAR was cool and everything, but the lack of variety in enimies and the fact that the game mostly focuses on scaring you but I didn't get scared from it so it was very slow going, Fallout 3 was bad because it REALLY took a while for me to actualy get up enough money to be able to afford actualy buying bullets and had to resort to finding dogs to kill with my bat so that took hours just to actualy get started)
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Some people think they know everything about life because of TV.

Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. TV creates a false sense of knowledge and reality. I'm still not saying TV is bad, I'm just saying too much of it is bad, and most of the things on it are bad.

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Fallout 3 was bad because it REALLY took a while for me to actualy get up enough money to be able to afford actualy buying bullets and had to resort to finding dogs to kill with my bat so that took hours just to actualy get started)

Not a problem for me, if you know whats left and right you can find good guns and ammo quite easily. I get caps quick too. The only problem I have with that game is that I can't get to lvl 30, it just stops at 20. How am I supposed to get those final acheivements I may never know.

TV creates a false sense of knowledge and reality. I'm still not saying TV is bad, I'm just saying too much of it is bad, and most of the things on it are bad.

Wow! Just wow! Let me say that hollywood has made more rated R and TV 14 movies than family movies. Some of those movies I can watch if it doesn't have any sex in it or anything as inapropriate as that.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Some of those movies I can watch if it doesn't have any sex in it or anything as inapropriate as that.

This could be going a bit off topic, but I am getting quite annoyed at how many movies are including sexual references now, if I wanted that I would watch a romance, but I didn't.

I also never liked how at presidential debates they include a crowd, rason why is the debate takes twice as long because you have clapping or cheering and this is quite a serious topic so sometimes you could miss things because the crowd will start clapping and cheering.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

True, but some people believe anything on TV is true. I watch some reality show, and it's really not reality, and most of those things I see don't happen in everyday life, but some people believe it.Some people think they know everything about life because of TV. now some things on TV may be true , but most aren't.

But sometimes i think the real things have a good impact on people.
I mean, CSI, although "fiction" have to add in a disclaimer because some of the plots are so similar to real life cases. I think this helps people be aware of situations. Maybe not as much as the likes of law and order SVU. I mean that show just made me be super safe.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I mean, CSI, although "fiction" have to add in a disclaimer because some of the plots are so similar to real life cases.

I've seen one too many episodes where they find gloves with no fingerprints. This is BS, because the fingerprints will be in the inside of the glove.

I mean that show just made me be super safe.

About 90% of the episodes I watched have a 1 in a million chance of happening.

I fail to see why MP3 players are bad, sure, one may go deaf, but other than that I don't see why it would be bad. TV I hardly ever watch, and when I do it's mostly for checking cartoons on cartoon network (just because I'm in college it doesn't mean I can't watch Adventure Time from time to time). As for gaming consoles, those are the summoners of all evil. I've probably spent more time with my PS3 rather than with my parents.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I've seen one too many episodes where they find gloves with no fingerprints. This is BS, because the fingerprints will be in the inside of the glove.

About 90% of the episodes I watched have a 1 in a million chance of happening.

No offensive intended, but in SVU about 90% of the episodes have a great chance of happening. If you ever look into real cases of abuse, you'll see how similar the plots are. It also teachers the younger teenage crowd how to go about telling people that they're being abused etc. It's actually a show that made a young girl come to me when i was assisting a classroom. And it was dealt with immediately and resulted in her being put into foster care. It's situations like that where i think television shows can have a positive impact on peoples lives.

Negative impacts television and movies have are the likes of the Jamie Bulger case. Now that, was sickening.
Showing 1-12 of 12