ForumsWEPR[necro] Is homosexuality right or wrong?

1146 384207
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

I think homosexuality is totally wrong and unnatural, what do you think?

• 1,146 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I know, but there are only a handful of those places.

Er.....no. 76 countries still list homosexuality as a crime, and 5 punish them by death. And only roughly 10, give or take a few have legalized same-sex marriage. So no, it is not a ''handful''. It still is a major problem.
freethinkercro
freethinkercro
17 posts
Nomad

OP "I think homosexuality is totally wrong and unnatural, what do you think?"

I think you are thinking in a normal heterosexual way.

A persons morality decides whether homosexuality is right or wrong & results will vary from person to person, but homosexuality is not unnatural.

As you are (now)aware homosexuality is perfect natural(also normal) in many parts of the animal kingdom & especially amongst Bonobo Apes.

However does this make this prove homosexuality right? No,it is still an individual judgement dependant on morality/ethics.

To focus on Bonobo Apes;
Parties of Bonobo males also "'atrol' for the unfortunate neighbouring males that might be travelling alone, and attack those single males, often killing them.". Bonobo apes are not perfect.

To draw a long bow;
Some animals & humans(usually children) also eat faeces (excrement expelled through the anus or cloaca during defecation).

Who am I to judge or impose my morals on them?

Let them eat until their bellies are full, but not at my dinner table please.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Though this interview on 10 O'Clock Live was intertesting. A homosexual who seemed to be very unhappy in his own skin.

It's sad that we've got too the 21st century with these with societies around the world still condemning homosexuality. The distinction between cicil rights and amrriage brought up in the video is interesting though. Legally they are the same thing. Personally I think Catholics should back down and accept marriage includes hommosexual ones. But I can see how their beliefs are being attacked (even if I don't shre their beliefs).

cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

I don't think the question is very good. It doesn't matter who you love, you still love the person, right? Love is not right or wrong, it just is.

Over the weekend, I met a guy who had a boyfriend. I didn't know when I first started talking to him. He was very nice. I found out, and it didn't matter to me, because he was one of the sweetest guys I have ever met.

So you shouldn't judge someone because of whose hand they hold, get to know the person first.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

But I can see how their beliefs are being attacked (even if I don't shre their beliefs).

how is it attacking their beliefs if they arent forcing them to acknowledge the mariage in a christian way. im guessing gays want to be known as married by the state and wouldnt care at all what the religious people see them as. mariage isnt something religious anymore.

think about it this way. a bar mitzvah is something strictly religious for jews. obviously, non-jews wont do it and probably dont want to do it either. but what if youd gain certain rights and be seen as something different by the state only if you had a bar-mitzvah? the fact they dont share their belief doesnt mean they attack it and if marriage WAS just a religious thing i would understand the religious argument.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

how is it attacking their beliefs if they arent forcing them to acknowledge the mariage in a christian way. im guessing gays want to be known as married by the state and wouldnt care at all what the religious people see them as. mariage isnt something religious anymore.

A civil union isn't religious.... the thing people have been talking about in the news recently is whether they should be allowed to marry. That is what figures in the catholic church are upset about. Marriage is religious, just look at the Catholic vows: "May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings. That God has joined, men must not divide. Amen". Catholics think marriage is sacred and therefore it's not ok for homosexuals to marry. Personally I think they need to move with the times but then they would be rubbish Catholics.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,045 posts
Shepherd

A civil union isn't religious.... the thing people have been talking about in the news recently is whether they should be allowed to marry. That is what figures in the catholic church are upset about. Marriage is religious, just look at the Catholic vows: "May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings.

Those are just catholic vows. Just because catholics talk about marriage in their book doesn't mean that their book is the definition of marriage.

But even if marriage is wholly religious, then why is it only wrong for gays to get married? Why is it okay for atheists to get married?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Christianity didn't even come up with the idea of marriage. Even if they had, that still doesn't give them the right to deny people it.

Now, the marriage ceremony that we currently use may have religious origins, but that doesn't make anyone who gets "married" under different words/oaths any less married. A marriage is two consenting adults wanting to be recognized as officially together, quite simply.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

but that doesn't make anyone who gets "married" under different words/oaths any less married.

True, and as they said in the video I linked too there isn't much clamour in the gay community for marriage (when they have civil partnerships obviously). As David Mitchell asked, is it unnnecasarily enflaming to make it an issue? I think it is, if only too try and modernise Catholicism a little.

Those are just catholic vows

And I was only talking about Catholic marriage. I can't for hte life of me imagine why an atheist would want a Catholic ceremony though. And I wouldn't imagine a Catholic priest would marry two atheists.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

Er.....no. 76 countries still list homosexuality as a crime

76 out of what? 1000? I take that as a handful.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

76 out of what? 1000? I take that as a handful.

There are only about 200 countries in the world. So that's about 1/4 of them.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

There are only about 200 countries in the world. So that's about 1/4 of them.

Yes I know it was an exaggeration. There are 193 countries currently in the UN and there are plenty of countries not in it. Not saying they are important or even known by common people but they are there.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

76 out of what? 1000?

There aren't 1000 countries... there are 196.

But these numbers don't tell much, as there are a handful of countries that are miniscule and have populations of less than 50,000. There are about 80 or so countries who's population makes up less than .10% of the worlds population. There are also countries with extremely weak governments who's authority is either debated or isn't exercised at all.

And this doesn't either mean that the other 110 countries who haven't specifically approve or disapprove of it actually approve of it, it just isn't strictly illegal.
Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

There aren't 1000 countries... there are 196.

Ahem, I pretty much just said that. And being biased over Homosexuals is like being biased over other races. And we've gotten over that already... mostly.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

And being biased over Homosexuals is like being biased over other races

Bias isn't what you're saying it is. A bias is holding a view without considering other sides of the argument or issue.

What's going on isn't bias. It's blatant discrimination and suppression of rights.
Showing 61-75 of 1146