ForumsThe TavernA Complicated Science Question

4 2578
PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,707 posts
Nomad

Well I find this to be some what complicated... If the index of refraction increases when a light ray goes from one media to another does the angle of refraction bend towards or away from the normal?

Index of refraction is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a medium.

A media is a medium (such as air, or salt or a diamond or water etc...)

What I do know is that if the speed of light increases when it enters into a medium it bends away from the normal. I think anyways

Please help me with this question

• 4 Replies
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Try asking this on Yahoo Answers or on Answers.com. Also, try clarifying your question a little or make it easier to visualize (post a picture?). That might get more people willing to help...well hoped I helped you get help :P

auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

Well it's not complicated really, I was studying index of refraction last semester. If the ray of light is going from a denser medium to a less dense medium (such as water to air), it will bend away from the normal. And if the ray of light is going from a less dense medium to a more dense medium (air to water), it will bend closer to the normal.

This picture should help:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa339/auggy2627/diagram.jpg

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Use Snell's law and dump values in to find the resultant angle. This is complicated? Isn't this one of the really basic formulae for light?

hitcher017
hitcher017
62 posts
Nomad

I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Showing 1-4 of 4