ForumsThe TavernI have questions

13 1493
greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

I want to be an artist when I grow up,and I want to make money for doing what I love.Can somebody list the ways that an artist can get money for drawing,painting,sculpting,etc.

Does anybody have any tips to becoming a great artist,what should I do,what shouldn't I do?

What are the best art institutes that are in my state?(I live in California)

I would appreciate it so much if somebody answers just one of these

• 13 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Which part of California do you live in? There's always the California College of the Arts.

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

I live in the Sacramento area

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

I know of a great Art school here, but that would mean you would have to move to the Netherlands... is that an option? =)

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

The Netherlands are in Europe,right?

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

If I have enough money to go then that option is a possibility,but I would be far away from my family.

cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

Well, I don't have a career in art, (I'm still in high school) but you can sell your art either privately or work with a business, organization, etc. You can be an art teacher. You can go into advertising and make all the art for posters and commercials. You can make comics or illustrate books. You can do screenplay for animated movies, (I'm not sure what this is called, but it is where you draw each scene, and then put them all together to make a movie.) Webpage designer, culinary arts, (like cake decorating), architecture. Art is everywhere

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

(I'm not sure what this is called, but it is where you draw each scene, and then put them all together to make a movie.)

Animating? Drawing keyframes? Tweening?

Got to say something: The average art school student will not make a lot of money out of their degree. A lot of artists cannot live off of their trade.
Those who can will make a lot of money, but art is generally a rather unstable source of income.
If you are good at doing what people want, then you will make a lot of money, but that might be going against your 'doing what you love' (which is never really specified?), and whether you want to go outside your own morals and joys to earn money will be up to you in the case you get known enough to get these kinds of choices.

All kinds of professional art makes about the same kind of money, at least if you work as the glorified freelance artist that only take commissions and otherwise just stand in your studio and work your genius, which the drawing-painting-sculpting implies to me.
A better choice if you want to live off this would be to become either an illustrator or a designer. Animators earn well, if they are good at what they do and better at getting the jobs, and would earn you a job where you would wake up in New York and go to bed in France, depending on what job your are working, but to get there, there is a lot of hard work to go through, and most people are stuck at the tweening stages of animating, which is not as fun. Also, you have to count on working on projects instead of having a real job.
As for Illustrators, there is a good deal of variation of what you will be working on, and if you have a broad style, you would be able to do well in this field, which can earn you enough to live of it, though it tends to be hard work as you will rarely be given free reigns on what to do. Same goes for concept artist, which I guess falls into this as well, but at least gives some kind of freedom inside limits. But it does take a certain kind of person, I guess, and a broad and varied style of art and way of working.
Designers might be another good choice, they tend to go for clean art, but will have to work with people who have no aesthetic sense (and these people will be the ones with the money). Web design will probably be the major in this field, which might mean a bit of programming also would do you well.

Either way... It is a lot to consider, and specifics might be good as well as examples if you want proper advice. If you just want answers, well keep on this.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Aye, working and using your skills in the film industry, or game industry, is perhaps one of the best choices for an artist. The same goes for musicians. There's only so much you could earn playing the occasional orchestral piece, but working, say, under Hans Zimmer, who composes many pieces of music for movies, would earn your keep nicely.
Back to art; You are better off working in something that needs your skills, such as movie CGI and set making, game CGI, and other things such as those. A freelance will not earn much, and will have to clutter his day with other jobs to earn his money, which in turn stuffs up his art, thus his life.
I do not mean to put you down, following passions in the Arts can be very rewarding. You just have to make wiser decisions.

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

Thanks for replying to my post.I just want some honest answers/advice so thanks for doing that.

Tobisper
Tobisper
407 posts
Nomad

Go to the link Ernie put for you it could be helpful and try taking art as an elective during school if your in school.

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

@tobisper I currently am and im drawing alot better than I originally would've

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

lol for help with the drawing tips and stuff, you could always buy the book Drawing for Dummies. I saw that at Barnes And Noble yesterday, but idk if you need it or not but...

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

I'll definently look for that book XD .Although,I usually don't like books that "teach" you how to draw.It sure helps alot but they don't show you how to draw them in different positions.What I'm saying is they only teach you how to draw them one way.But still,I'm gonna look for that book because it sounds really interesting.

Showing 1-13 of 13