ForumsWEPRSchool Uniforms

124 35146
mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

I hate wearing these. My school enforced them this year and they are terrible. According to the 1st ammendment to the American Bill of Rights, this goes against our freedom of speech and expression. Whaddya think?

• 124 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Actually I just realised a thing. If someone has very cool sweater or jeans or any cool clothes and there is another kid who's parents don't have enough money to buy so cool clothes and that makes the kid sad. I think that's why uniforms are necessary.

No I don't think it is necessary, especially not for that reason. Of course the poorly dressed child might envy the well-dressed child, but introducing school uniforms for that specific reason is practically admitting that you're worth nothing if you don't have the right clothes.

And as 016Bramble said, not all parents can support paying extra for a school uniform, which will directly or indirectly raise the costs of school. I agree that school uniforms are ok in private schools but not necessarily in public ones.
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

School Uniforms, I used to hate them, but now I'm at a So-So with them. If it's just the same style of sweater and pants without any slight variations (a short-sleeve version of the sweater or a different tone of colour in pants) or if the uniform is in crappy colours, then screw it. Private school? That's fine because no board or district is funding the school, so how else would private schools get money? But in other schools, I don't see what's wrong with other clothing. In all my life, I've never seen anyone dressed inappropriately or try to be the best looking person around. There are some pros and cons with uniforms and normal clothing that just can't be avoided.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

if you really hate them you could start a school wide Campaign

but im homeschooled so i can sit down in my pajamas an eat breakfast and do school at the same time!!1!!11! (its sweet)

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

The only "uniform" my school has, is a t-shirt with the school's logo you have to wear to P.E.

Otherwise, unless the clothes have something "explicit" or revealing, they're perfectly fine.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

I dislike school uniforms, and so does pretty much my whole school who already are wearing sports uniforms. But if you are stuck in a school with uniforms, then well, sucks for you. I don't think it's as big of a problem that you have to riot against it, and complaining won't work, because you are just a minor, no adult in power would actually listen to you.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Going through International schools my entire life, I can say school uniform's aren't that bad. Of course, it's an annoyance at first, having to wear uncomfortable shirts and pants and what-not. But then, you get used to it. And (for some) it takes away the stress from deciding what to wear today/tomorrow any other day in the future.

Also, it teaches that almost always, you have to wear specific attire, whether it be work, or a social event. It's good, in the long run.

And as a few people said before, it helps the people that can't afford fancy clothes. Although being sad for your parents not being able to afford clothes is idiotic, it's still persistent in everyday life

ItalianSuperBoy
ItalianSuperBoy
295 posts
Peasant

I've had to wear a uniform for 6+ years while going to a private school. At first, they take some time to get used to, but as you progress, they become part of your 5-days-a-week lifestyle.

Pros:
-(like sensanaty said) They take away the stress of worrying what to wear.
-(sensanaty) Instead of buying all the big-name (and big $$$) brands to wear this year, you wear a (relatively) affordable uniform.

Cons:
-No self-expression.
-Same drab clothes...day...after day...after day...

I guess it's a matter of personal opinion.

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

Purpose:
I would think that they are designed for control, uniformity, and the fact that they are generally collared shirts and khaki pants for the guys or collared shirts and a khaki skort or skirt for the girls, would better ensure children not doing stupid things and acting more civilized. In short, Formal clothes equals Formal behavior.(usually)

My opinion:
I pearsonally don't like them because of the fact that I can't look like I want to. And also because it causes you to want to act more formal, it kind of sucks the life and pearsonality out of me. But that's just me. I think that in a shool that you pay tuition you should wear what they tell you to wear because your parents are undoubtedly paying, So you really have no say in what thay make you do. On the other hand, if you are in public school, You should be able to wear what you want to (within reason). Because no one is exclusively paying for you but rather alot of people are paying a small amount. So no one owns your right to wear your preferred Style of clothing whereas at a private shool your parents are paying a full tuition so the teachers and other authoritative figures should be able to tell you what to wear. (Because your parents are basically paying your school's staff members.)

To sum it up
I don't like them. But uniforms are a good Idea that ensures safety and a more rational way of thinking. And they do their job pretty darn well.

spyroman1010
spyroman1010
16 posts
Nomad

They're changing oour uniform but uite sad since our old uniform has been there for 13 or 14 years D:

JimmyDimples
JimmyDimples
74 posts
Blacksmith

Back in an old Christian academy, we had one uniform day: Wednesday for chapel. Mine was a long-sleeve sky-blue button-down shirt, school-issue tie, and khaki slacks. Didn't care about it too much one way or the other. They were simply clothes.

I don't have children myself, and my school days are behind me. However, school uniforms have their good and bad points. I'd be bummed that I couldn't wear a Hawaiian print a la Weird Al or T-shirt that I like, but I'd be relieved that I didn't have to sweat getting ragged for not having the latest brand name du-jour or getting jacked for those shoes that cost as much as a new game console.

My general take on uniforms: as long as they're seasonably comfy, and students look something like this: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs39/i/2008/323/3/1/School_Days_by_LovelyKouga.png

and not this:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs4/i/2004/251/a/0/Bozo__s_Had_Enough__by_InkInMyVeinsDR.jpg

... I'm mellow with it. :-)

VirtualLife
VirtualLife
276 posts
Nomad

I go to a public school and always have and there is no need/push for uniforms. On some days after seeing what people are wearing I want uniforms to be present, but most of the time I am glad that I have a freedom of choice and expression.

There is a private Catholic high school in my town and it is quite funny to drive by there after school. The minute the girls get out they yank up their socks as high as they will go, roll up their skirts so they are practically non-existent, and tie their button up shirts like Daisy Duke. Not every single girl does this, but a lot do.

AKhotline
AKhotline
7 posts
Nomad

School uniforms are alright, its gives school spirit which most school don't have. It represents the school and you should be proud of it. The school board or who ever do it, has a reason why. A positive thing about school uniforms is that your being prepared for work like wearing a suit or being a mechanic and wearing overalls or what ever its called. Also you wouldn't so people wearing inappropriate things. statistically speaking its improves your moral to learn and get better grades.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Who gives a ****? Back in middle school, we had to write an essay about this, and I feel like the argument of "uniforms suppressing the expression of individuality" was just a pretense for what was really going on in these kids' heads: "****, these things are uncomfortable, and I look like a ***got."

On an unrelated note, I fully support the LGBTQ* community.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

In a private school I have absolutely no qualms with requiring uniforms or a dress code of sorts (my old friend went to a different high school and had to cut down on his awesome mullet). It's a private institution of learning, a business of sorts, and can govern itself with its own laws because it receives funding from the people, not state (unlike public schools).

Your Friendly Neighborhood Satanist, however, has a problem with public schools enforcing a uniform code. The public school system is an extension of the state, and the state should not be able to meddle in the choices of any citizens on a level as personal as the clothes they wear. Let the students determine what they wish to wear in such an environment, be it a simple polo or an extravagant jacket-top-nonsensical-girly-nonsense piece. Let the sports kids wear their jerseys and wrestling t-shirts (

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

in the high school i used to be in, nad the elementary school before it, you could come with whatever pants you wanted, as long as they have less then 3 colors.
the school shirts were just colored t-shirts with the school symbol near the heart.

Showing 76-90 of 124