jalex12
195 posts
Nomad

many people are losing their jobs

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

I think NAFTA is a great idea and in the long run will save us millions of dollars.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

tell me what makes you think its bad.

Explain well so I don't have to repeat myself.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I am a Capitalist. But I do believe in setting business standards. Because of NAFTA, US corporations can move into Mexico and pay the employees less than 40 cents an hour. Because the they are out of US jurisdiction, and the Mexican government has little power, these corporations can do whatever they want. They force women to take birth control (because if a woman is pregnant, she gets a month off with full pay). If a woman does end up getting pregnant, the companies will fire her unless she gets an abortion.

NAFTA is also far from free trade. The agreement makes it so the US government puts massive subsides on farmers. Thus our products are being sold in Mexico for much less than home-grown crops. Mexican farmers are losing out to US farmers because of authoritarian economics and subsides.

Our other trade agreements with Latin America are also ruining their economies. In Haiti for instance, Disney drove out all domestic factories and companies due to its immense power. The workers get less than $200 a year and must work 7 days a week for 16 hours a day. While Disney makes hundreds of millions on its products from Haiti, they refuse to pay a decent wage, all because of this "Free Trade" garbage. NAFTA and other trade agreements are not free trade at all. It's authoritarian trade where the US government subsidizes products and doesn't keep its corporations responsible for the welfare of the workers.

Showing 1-4 of 4