ForumsThe TavernI am saving for a drawing tab...

18 2195
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

...anyone (like strop) have any favorites? preferably within the $200 range.

• 18 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Plus I don't see why you cannot just scan in images that you drew and then use the mouse and your editing program to get them the way you want.

Because it takes longer to get to look like what you would get with a tablet. It is entirely do-able, plenty of people can do magic with a mouse, but it takes a long while and tablets are easier to use if you are interesting in anything but freshening up the picture or doing vexel.

Does your pen on the tablet move the mouse?

More or less, though any decent drawing programme will come with pressure sensitivity, so it's more like drawing with a pen or a pencil (or a brush, depending on your settings) than its doing anything with a mouse. In all simplicity, though, the pen is just replacing the mouse when moving the cursor.
And it does take a bit to get used to, couple of hours of experimenting, perhaps. The only thing there is, might be the difference between looking down at your hand while you draw, and then looking at the screen when you draw, but otherwise, in most cases, it's just that. I think there might be more trouble in going from an A6 to an A4 tablet than there is going from paper to tablet.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

The only thing there is, might be the difference between looking down at your hand while you draw, and then looking at the screen when you draw, but otherwise, in most cases, it's just that.

I think that looking up and down would really bug me at first. Once I got used to it I would probably be fine but it would drive me insane. I will just stick with my mouse. I have gotten pretty good with it now.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Perhaps. As mentioned, it didn't take me very long to get used to, because the movements are so natural (and I was already using the mouse for lineart and colouring before I used all my money on a tablet, so the nature of the art being on screen and the drawing being on the table wasn't too far off).
But, well, it's all a matter of taste to me. A tablet is a tool, and you might be better or worse with a certain tool, or have little liking towards it for various reasons. It's not much different from liking pens over pencils or paint over charcoal.
The most important part is just to remember it is a tool that needs to be learned and gotten used to, and not an instant way to get awesome or really bad. There is no excuse in drawing crappy art in MS Paint, it just means you are crappy at drawing, and not that MS Paint is bad.
Anyway, enough of this rant, I guess.

@Light_chaser: No problem, I hope you find a tablet to your tastes somewhere. GL.

Showing 16-18 of 18