ForumsSupport ForumTemporary Notice: HTML Tags:

138 28697
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Greetings community veterans, community newcomers, trouble makers, trouble reporters, religious zealots, religious skeptics, and NoNameC68. If you have not already noticed, you will have come across user profiles and comments/forum posts with differing characteristics than what you're used to. The availability of this new feature is likely due to the previous two updates to the site undergone by the administration. The tags that are used in order to create these new characteristics are formed by HTML code. With HTML code, you can create large fonts, small fonts, strike-throughs, invisibles, and colors in every way imaginable. With HTML code, you can finally get the unique about page and individuality you've dreamed of!

Well keep dreaming.

So the start of it all was smooth sailing, but like flies to dung, it was only a matter of time before users started to abuse the use of HTML code in some way that violates the Terms and Conditions of ArmorGames. It only takes a few instances before those who have to intervene (the moderation team) become disappointed (like me) and have to be the bad guy and ruin the fun. So here are things you need to remember when faced with HTML ideals:

--Do not post HTML colors that are exact or similar to the font of a moderator or administrator (blue, green, and between). This is in line with the rule about impersonation, regardless of whether or not you were intent upon doing so. You should be familiar with this, because this rule has already been in place. Users will be warned then banned as usual.

--Do not post HTML tags that allow you to post images which contain content in violation of the rules. Treat this the same as you would in forum posts and comments. Reprimands vary on severity of image(s).

--Please do not make your font Galaxy Size and end up disfiguring the page. This disables buttons and links on your page such as the submit button on the text box and the Add Friend button. Messages containing BFG 9000 size font will be deleted and multiple messages found will result in warn/ban. Messages containing Apache Chief size font on the user page will be given a warning to take down the image, but if we can't even find the text box to warn you with, then we will warn you with a ban. User who do not take down the text on the about page a while after the first ban will be given another, leading up to a permanent if the user is very stubborn and intent upon keeping the text.

--Users who post in colors, bigger font, etc. on game pages intent on getting their comment noticed for a merit will be ignored.

--The HTML code can (probably) bypass the site censors. You know what happens when we find text with complete swearing.

--HTML that compromises the site and user's interaction with the site in general will be given a lengthy ban (and a permanent if continued without warning).

(more to add if necessary)

-----------------------------------------

This may or may not be a temporary feature of the site. The AG staff may take down the use of this kind of HTML code in the future.

• 138 Replies
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

I meant to say what purple I am referring to. This one: <font color"3001BE"&gturple</font>

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

I apologize for all the posting but it didn't work. It will this time.
I meant to say what purple I am referring to. This one: <font color="3001BE"&gturple</font>

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Someone please tell me all coloured text in the forums isn't allowed. For the sake of my eyes.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Someone please tell me all coloured text in the forums isn't allowed. For the sake of my eyes.

I hope. If everyone did it then it would become really annoying and hard to read. I am fine with it on the 'Abouts' but nowhere else.
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,390 posts
Blacksmith

I hope. If everyone did it then it would become really annoying and hard to read. I am fine with it on the 'Abouts' but nowhere else.

Awwww...I guess I got my hopes up way too high.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Someone please tell me all coloured text in the forums isn't allowed.

It is always preferred to post without HTML, but only blues and greens are officially disallowed, since they are impersonations of authorities, which is not allowed. However, I think the mods would not like it if the text is too bright.

Awwww...I guess I got my hopes up way too high.

Your hopes are not too high since there is no official decision on the color purple yet. Also, normal users do not make the rules, so if a normal user prefers for a certain color not to be used, that does not disallow the color. Just make sure it is readable, though the mods may disallow it anyway.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

That purple does not look purple. It looks blue.
So, it might not be the best of ideas to go "Well, it's purple, it is not disallowed, so I can ttly write with it." because terminology and banhammers often clash, and the banhammer tends to win.
Had it been another kind of purple, like a redish one, instead of a blueish one, then it would probably be better, though I would probably scroll past coloured text anyway.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

That purple does not look purple. It looks blue.

No it doesn't. It's a darkish purple.

What about parts of text? Like headers/titles/chapters/important things? Can we use any colors for those or still no blue/green?
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

No it doesn't. It's a darkish purple.

We obviously have both different opinions on when something looks purple enough to be considered purple and not blue or blurple, and different screens. The only time this
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8143/bluple.png
looks vaguely purple to me is when I flip my screen forward past any proper viewing point, so I guess your screen might be lighter.

Either way, from my point of view, that is not purple enough to not be considered a violation of the 'don't post in blue or green'. And chances are someone else might be having the same issue and would report a user using that - purple colour.

As for the partial use of colours, the impersonating rule was directed at using the colour dominantly, as to appear like a staff member, so I would probably deem it alright for very short, limited roles like titles/headers/stuff you would normally use a bold code for, but anything past that, like an entire paragraph might very well be out of bounds.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

it look purple to me too. anyway i hope it wont be allowed. i dont mind people using it for certain words but if every single post in a thread will have a different colour i am pretty sure ill stay away from that thread

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

You know, I'm sensing a clash of cultures here, different cultures ascribe wider or thinner wedges of the colour spectrum to different colours - so, for example, Chinese and Japanese didn't have a word that really distinguished green from blue until it became important due to growing interactions with the Western World. They were both considered pretty much the same colour.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

There have been research done on this, and it has shown that people who have words for the different shades are more likely to be able to distinguish between shades of colour. So, yes, above.

Either way, I have Zophia saying it is blue, I have Strop stating it is purple. I have the values saying that it is 190 to blue and 40 to red, which makes it a lot more blue than red, obviously, and according to this, the mod blue is electric blue rather than just blue...
So, again, better safe than sorry. If it looks blue to me, it will most likely look blue to someone else that has a report urge.

(Also, both moderators described it as indigo, which according to the wiki is a blue, or at least more blue than violet, which is blueish purple. Blurple still seems about right).

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

So, uh, how long has this HTML craze been going on? Thaboss put some on his profile a couple days ago just to test if it worked, without knowing if anyone else was... Crazy how it's turning out...

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

So, uh, how long has this HTML craze been going on? Thaboss put some on his profile a couple days ago just to test if it worked, without knowing if anyone else was... Crazy how it's turning out...

The HTML craze began when Darktroop07's about became orange. I created a thread about it on May 5th, so the HTML craze has been going on for a little over 3 weeks.
iSabby
iSabby
33 posts
Nomad

Is it alright to use colors on your profile? I've seen people with it. I think it's unique to do on your profile. I'm not sure how you do it. On the new AG3 i think there should be more customization to your profile page. Anyone else agree?

Showing 61-75 of 138