ForumsThe TavernYour President

13 1440
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, I was pondering the idea to start a thread on the WEPR, but than I came across this idea, and thought it would be more suited for The Tavern. If you could actually choose which person you'd want to become president, or prime minister, et cetera, who would it be, and why?

I've become slightly inactive recently, and thought this was a good way to come back into the community.

• 13 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

ME! JK. I would suck and I don't even want too. Can we choose dead people or only people we know?

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Well, rather than chose a prime minister I would rather elect that we change the entire Government here for the better. I don't care for what people nor what party they belong to, as long as they have common sense, a modern world view and the ability to agree on the stuff that matters, so the entire system and perhaps the entire country could get overhauled and work in a way that might not only create a better living for everyone, but also get us out of this economic deadspot.
And preferably an open and communicative government, that doesn't think it proper to keep important information and decisions to themselves.
To be honest, I don't completely believe in democracy. It has proven, in its modern incarnation, to favour the voice of the people, which, as a singular mass, is made out of idiots. Not everything should be chosen by the people, but as such, the government should be composed of people able and willing to make decisions for the people in a way that does not screw people over completely for the sake of a few companies or industries.

And, if nothing, then stop people without jobs on financial help from earning more than students on financial help. It sucks balls and doesn't make sense.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Can we choose dead people or only people we know?

Of course, if you have a good reason to choose Godzilla, and can argue your reason, by all means, go ahead and argue it.

the government should be composed of people able and willing to make decisions

Ah, but if "the people" do not accept this idea, all hell breaks loose, unless I'm missing a point.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Ah, but if "the people" do not accept this idea, all hell breaks loose, unless I'm missing a point.

The people accepting the idea was implied. Basically, at least two thirds of our government is made out of grumpy old men and just as grumpy old women that will step in the way of progress because it does not fare well with the older people that vote for them (the people that most likely will not see any of the suggestions come true anyway), and will be in the way for a lot of fresh blood going into the government with enthusiasm and ideas.
After all, this new composition should be able to look at the laws and the bureaucracy and go "We need to fix all of this to the best of our abilities", and not "You think the rich needs higher taxes, we think students and poor people without a job should be the one with the 70percent taxes, so that they can hurry up and get a job!!" since that leads to absolutely nothing.
As mentioned, they are also not supposed to make all the decisions, but they should be able to make proper accessed ones made on reason and not just what the "voters want".
Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, that's the point. If reasonable people would always guide "the" government, we wouldn't have any problems on this issue.

Sharpshooter_Alpha
Sharpshooter_Alpha
40 posts
Nomad

Obviously Chuck Norris He kicks asss. Or Pikachu

Sharpshooter_Alpha
Sharpshooter_Alpha
40 posts
Nomad

Obviously Chuck Norris He kicks asss. Or Pikachu

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Henry Clay. I think he would have made a good president. He came up with the American System and did the Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850. He probably would have been able to help avoid the Civil War, if that would have been possible at all.

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

Ronald Reagan for president and Ron Paul as secretary of treasury

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

For a second there it seemed like this was turning into a debate. I know I would do some debating about who and why we would want a person to be president. Now I think I would want someone like Abe Lincoln or George Washington to be president. True Americans I call them. True Americans.

Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

Who would be a better president than Dumbledore?
I'd feel safer if he was the president. No dark wizards or nuclear wars in America!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Darnell "Crabman" Turner.

He is, without question, the perfect candidate. His intellect has no limits, he always makes the best decision for everybody, and America would finally learn to resolve things peacefully instead of fighting in wars that don't concern us. Plus, he's always there when you need him.

Now what more could you ask for in a president?

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

P. Diddy. He'd be the second colored (The acronym NAACP makes that word not racist) president, and we all know the saying: first the worst, second the best. Also he got swagger.

Showing 1-13 of 13