ForumsThe TavernGeneral NBA Discussion

456 100131
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Who's going it all? Will the Nuggets come back? etc...

The finals is probably going to be the Heat vs Thunder. Well, that's what I think, so, what's your opinion?

• 456 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Lebron was touted as the next Jordan.

lebron hasn't won enough yet to get that title.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

I never said he had. I just said that when he entered the Draft after HS experts thought he would be the next Jordan... No one will ever be Jordan. I don't think Lebron could be Jordan no matter what he did. Lebron will be Great, don't get me wrong, I think he is the best active player in the World of Basketball, but he won't be Jordan.
I definitely see a Wiggins-Parker rivalry developing in the near future, if one doesn't exist already.

I think there is an unofficial one developing behind the scenes...
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Do you blame him???

No, it's not his fault he had to leave Boston. He was didn't get the respected he well deserved as a Hall of Famer. Plus he had relationship issues with Rondo. He left to get more rings to retire on a good note.
Yes, he has his "Manu moments," but he's clearly a shell of his former self. His play can best be described as volatile and erratic, attempting to be flashy at the worst moments.

Ginobli has never really looked like a consistent, reliable guy in my eyes. He has come through with big shots. For example Game 1 3 point shot to seal it in overtime against the Warriors. Ginobli's a reckless guy on the court but is still a player who hits tough shots and can get hot.

I agree. Even though he has solidified himself with 2 rings, he has more to prove. The critics will keep coming. And I don't like it when commentators and such compare Lebron and Jordan.

Lebron is Lebron.
Jordan is Jordan.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Ginobli has never really looked like a consistent, reliable guy in my eyes.

Are you talking about his recent woes or his play throughout the years? Cuz a few years back, he was arguably the best player on the Spurs. Certainly the one with the most win shares. There was a strong faction of supporters that considered him the second best shooting guard behind Kobe (even beating out Roy, Wade, etc.).
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

I was talking about his recent woes. Back then, he was a beast. Until he starting suffering from injuries in I believe the '11-'12 season.

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

76ers!!!!!

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

76ers!!!!!

What about them?

Al Jefferson signed with the Bobcats, I expect them to be better, but not by much. Jared Dudley, JJ Redick to the Clippers, and Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler to the Suns. As a Suns fan I'm not sure if I like this trade or not. Dudley (JD as he is better known here in the Valley of the Sun) was a fan favorite and I'm happy for him to go to a team that will contend for a title, but I'm gonna miss him. Bledsoe and Dragic will make an interesting back court. The Clippers are going to be a very good team this upcoming year, I expect a top 3 seed in the West for them. Chris Paul is one of, if not the best, Point Guards in the NBA, JJ Redick and JD can hit 3's, Blake Griffin Needs to more than just dunk, and they have good depth.
Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Well I'm sorry, why would you trade Jrue holiday for Narlens Noel?

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

^I don't think it was a particularly good trade for either team. Don't forget that the Hornets also gave up their top-5 protected first round pick in the 2014 draft. Plus, they just acquired Tyreke Evans. With Gordan, Holiday, and Evans, their backcourt is just way too saturated, while their front court is incredibly mediocre. Now, if they make additional trades, this might turn out better, but to give up a top 5 pick in what is supposedly a strong draft class is paying a high price. As for the 76ers, they lose their best player. Not like they got far with him, so I'm guessing they'll be tanking the season to get two lottery draft picks, which also means a higher chance at getting Andrew Wiggins. It's a move that's not gonna sit well with fans in the short-term, and if the Sixers don't get what they need in the draft, it could also be a long-term mistake.

By securing Chris Paul, the Clippers will be good for a few more years. I expect them to make some noise in the regular season once. But championship material? I'm ambivalent. Yes, I think that, in order to propel themselves to true contenders, Griffin is going to need to polish his game much more. He needs to learn some post moves and get that 15-footer down pat. I haven't seen much of him this year beyond the highlight reel, but it seems like he's a bit uncomfortable with the ball when he's not flying in the air for a dunk.

Also, as far as the Spurs go, I'm not too crazy about the Ginobili and Splitter's new contracts. They've kept their championship core mostly intact (the signing of Belinelli probably means that Neal is on his way out), but Ginobili and Splitter are not worth the money. I think the Spurs could've shaved off several million between the two of them while still retaining them and gotten a very solid player to strengthen their team.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Rockets closing in on a deal with Dwight Howard. What do you guys think the implications will be?

I was pretty underwhelmed with Howard's performance with the Lakers. It wasn't by any means bad, but he could've been better. His heart wasn't in it. I think he'll be more devoted to his new team, and as long as Hakeem Olajuwon is mentoring him, he should be a more formidable post player. Also, I think he'll be a good fit with Jeremy Lin, so I expect Lin to flourish slightly as well.

For the Lakers, losing Howard isn't the worst thing in the world, but it'll hurt. I'm not too familiar with the Lakers' financial situation, but I hear they're substantially above the salary cap. The loss of Howard probably won't improve their salary cap situation that much, so I doubt they'll be able to sign any notable talent. Maybe some okay role players. I'd say they're a borderline playoff team at best.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

But championship material? I'm ambivalent.

I said top 3 in the West. Not in the NBA.
I might as well as list my top 3 rankings anyways while I'm goin there anyways
The BEST in the WEST:
1a. Thunder 1b. Spurs 3. Clippers
The EXCELLENT EAST
1. Heat 2. Pacers 3. Nets
last years standings

I think Howard will fit in well with Harden, but I heard the Rockets where trying to trade Lin to clear cap space? Not sure on a source for that... I don't like Howard, But I think Houston will be a good place for him, they are young, they are talented, and he has Hakeem Olajuwon there to help him.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I actually wasn't referring to your post. It just seems like a prevailing sentiment. And frankly, top 3 in the West might as well be top 4 in the NBA.

And yeah, they're looking to trade Lin and Asik. It's a shame. They're both serviceable players that could grow with an intact core. This probably means they'll be looking to rebuild with Howard and Harden at the center, but with the Hiward's opt-out clause, it's hard to see this ending well for the Rockets unless they bring in some more serious talent.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Houston with have high expectations in the coming years. Dwight Howard wil have to keep up and prove he can win a championship. Choosing the Rockets was a very good decision for Howard. Houston was the spot for him basketball wise and the pressure will not be as high as playing in L.A. Speaking of the L.A., this upcoming season, I don't believe they'll make the playoffs. The weak West teams are now average teams. Despite the bench improvements, the starting lineup will be old. This should be Nash's last season because he will turn 40 next year and I doubt he will be able to go through the physical grind of another NBA season as a starter. As for Kobe, clearly there are some disagreements lingering around him and management. Kobe wants that championship now and management wants to go a different way. But next year's free agency will be interesting. Analysts and fans have been going back and forth about the Lakers picking up Carmelo and LeBron. Their chances are pretty low on getting them.

Andrew Bynum to the Cavs. The Cavs are obviously looking desperate for a playoff appearance or maybe luring LBJ back to Cleveland. They got Bynum for a low risk-high reward price. Honestly, I don't like Bynum, the signing was okay, but Bynum doesn't show commitment, he's lazy, and with Mike Brown there (Remember Bynum and Brown at the Lakers, and the three Bynum took?), I'm not sure how that will work out. But regardless, the Cavs already have a decent frontcourt so Bynum doesn't work out as planned, there's Varajao and Thompson, plus Anthony Bennett (their first round draft pick). There has been various amounts of topics regarding LBJ next offseason and free agency. I think LeBron might look for different options if the Heat don't win a championship. I just think that the Cav's supporting cast will be better than Miami's supporting cast in the coming years. Wade is aging and Bosh is inconsistent, LBJ would make the Cavs much much better since they're still a fairly young team. And I think LBJ and Irving would make a great duo.

Nets made some nice moves this offseason, grabbing KG, Truth, and JT. That instantly put them in contention for the title. They also picked AK47 who would be a great addition for the bench. I think they need to watch KG's and Pierce's minutes, they shouldn't wear them out too much.

The BEST in the WEST:
1a. Thunder 1b. Spurs 3. Clippers
The EXCELLENT EAST
1. Heat 2. Pacers 3. Nets

My early playoffs prediction based off of roster:

West

1. Thunder- Westbrook will come back ready. Although the lost of Kmart is big but that means Jeremy Lamb will be in the lineup and JLamb's play style is identical to Kmart's. Lamb has good potential.

2. Spurs- Even though I'm a Warriors fan, I think the Spurs deserve to win the championship next year the most. I just love the way they play and with one of the greatest coaches in NBA history Gregg Popavich. They're still pretty much the same team plus Marco Bellinilli If they're no injury prone, they should be in contention.

3. Clippers- Everything so far is going their way. Doc Rivers is coach, J.J Redick, Collison, Jared Dudley, the new additions of the Clippers. My only problem is the playoffs for them. Lob City will be Sob City in the playoffs. Unless if either DJ or Griffin step up and improve their post moves or the mid jumper.

4. Rockets

5. Warriors

6. Nuggets

7. Grizzles

8. Blazers, Pelicans, or TimberWolves

East

1-4 Can be in any order

Heat- Mike Miller is a big loss for the Heat. But Birdman will still be around. I don't remember if they got Greg Oden yet but if Oden can be that physical presence for them, that's good.

Nets

Bulls- Rose will make them better by default.

Pacers- I don't know what they will do with Danny Granger but if he's kept then their offensive play will be better.

5. Knicks

6. Hawks

7-8. Bucks, Pistons, Cavs, or Celtics
superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

For me so far

EAST
1. Pacers- They are an improving.
2. Heat- Miller was a big loss. Its gonna cost them, but not much.
3. Bulls- Considering Rose won't wait another season to be "100%" they will be good.
4. Nets- Fixed up franchise. Will need more team chemistry to be higher.
5. Hawks- developing team.
6. Knicks- Kidd was a loss.
7. Cavs- Irving man.
8. Bucks- A bunch of lucky and ugly wins.

West
1. Spurs- Duncan will continue to dominate.
2. Rockets- Great group of new guys.
3. Thunder- Great team. I just dont think they will dominate.
4. Warriors- Are a young sstrong team.
5. Grizzlies- Last year was better.
6. Clippers- Lotta moves over this season. Will do alright.
7. Nuggets- Bad playoff run last year. Will do ok.
8. Trail Blazers or Timberwolves-Both will be good.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Ray told me earlier that Pistons get Brandon Jennings. I think that puts them into 7-8 seed. Jennings is inconsistent but can get hot at times. He's still a young guy.

Showing 436-450 of 456