Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

is abortion ok?

Posted May 23, '12 at 11:13am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,440 posts

Knight

Actually less than 1% of abortions take place at or above the 20 week point. However these are usually done in cases of severe problems arising, which would likely cost both the life of the fetus and mother.
Other statistic 6% occur at the 13-14th week, 4% occur at the 16-20th week. Again in most late term abortions we are talking about a situation dealing with complications. Also less than half the clinics that will preform an abortion will do so past the 12th week.

Yeah, now I remember, it's legal up to the 12th week, and after that only if there is a significant risk for the mother.

Abortion is evil. It is the ruthless killing of an innocent human being.

And by using words like 'evil' and 'ruthless', you're unnecessarily demonizing something that naturally happens, well, all the time. And it's completely ignoring the circumstances.

Posted May 24, '12 at 7:14pm

Drink

Drink

1,644 posts

as much crap as i put up with in real life of people disagreeing with me im going to say it..abortion should be ok in certain circumstances..as in if a teen girl got ***** and ended up pregnant then i agree with it being ok or if doctors knew that something was wrong with the baby in the womb(something to cause it to have a life-time of being heavily disabled/mentally challenged but i think its wrong to get a abortion if you had unprotected sex willing knowing the chances

Posted May 24, '12 at 8:23pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,750 posts

I just love how no one takes a stab at which of the embryos in Mage's image is human.

but i think its wrong to get a abortion if you had unprotected sex willing knowing the chances

People do make mistakes you know. Especially teenagers. Why should their life be ruined because of that one mistake?

I agree people should take precautions, but sometimes they do fail anyways.

Posted May 25, '12 at 10:16pm

SkywardStriker05

SkywardStriker05

33 posts

This is going way back, but I had to respond to this one...

It's the woman's fault for getting herself into the situation.
I don't think that's the case all the time. Hypothetically speaking, let's say she was ***** and got pregnant. She probably had no control over that. And could you really bring yourself to tell your child that he/she is a **** baby? I imagine that would be pretty hard to say, and would make the child feel as if they were an accident, which in that case, they were.

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 12:23am

Devious

Devious

85 posts

I don't understand how you can justify killing an embryo at any stage of development. Yes it might be 6 cells, but it will grow from 6-6 million and so on. That doesn't make any difference, you are still stopping that human from happening.

If you burn down the frame of a house that's being constructed you will still have destroyed any chance of that exact house ever again existing. Just because it wasn't a house then doesn't mean it ever would be.

It still has the potential of becoming a human, and undeniably will become a human. Yes there's a natural chance it will miscarry but that's part of nature itself. Saying an intentional abortion and a natural miscarriage are essentially the same is absurd. You might as well be justifying murder because some people die of natural causes, therefore killing someone is just the same.

The morally objectionable part of abortion is that you are intentionally terminating a life that has now way of defending or speaking for itself. It doesn't matter if it's not human then, it will be. Its like making new immigrants immune to the law because they aren't citizens yet.

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 2:14am

SkywardStriker05

SkywardStriker05

33 posts

You might as well be justifying murder...
It doesn't matter if it's not human then...
Then it's not even murder. An embryo has no heartbeat, no brain function, so therefore it's not alive, so you're not killing anything. I think the only morally objectionable part is that some women use it as a means of birth control.

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 2:26am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,477 posts

Knight

I think the only morally objectionable part is that some women use it as a means of birth control.

Why would it be morally objectionable? Radical feminists view it as a showing of how women can have total control over their own body, claiming it as an essential part of not suppressing their rights.

Am I playing Devil's Advocate? Who knows? Morality is not a partner I want to do the tango with so often.

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 4:00am

Annihalation

Annihalation

491 posts

My philosophy:

Don't like abortions? Don't get one.
Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one.
Don't like having other people's beliefs forced upon you? Don't force your beliefs on other people.

Sorry for gay marriage off topic but it's a big deal too and I hate it when people think that they should control what other people do in their lives.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your life, or other peoples lives, why should you worry about it?

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 12:31pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,248 posts

Don't like having other people's beliefs forced upon you? Don't force your beliefs on other people.

for the other 2 i can agree whit. but this 1 doesn't count.
if you don't say your own believes then it isn't sure other will not try to tell you theirs.

Posted Jun 11, '12 at 1:40pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,440 posts

Knight

'Life starts at conception'

- Life started over three billion years ago. In direct line from parents to offsprings, there is no anorganic phase. Unless you define life as SkywardStriker05, in which case there's no problem to start with.

'How can you justify abortion?'

- By advancing the importance of therapeutic abortions:
"An abortion is medically referred to as a therapeutic abortion when it is performed to save the life of the pregnant woman; prevent harm to the woman's physical or mental health; terminate a pregnancy where indications are that the child will have a significantly increased chance of premature morbidity or mortality or be otherwise disabled; or to selectively reduce the number of fetuses to lessen health risks associated with multiple pregnancy.[11][12]" (wiki)

'It has potential to become a human being'

- Murder is "the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another" (Oxford Dictionaries). So legally, if it's not yet a human being, there is no murder.

'But it would have become a human'

- Probably not. "Only 30 to 50% of conceptions progress past the first trimester.[17]" (wiki)

'But it cannot speak for itself'

- Then it cannot speak against itself either.
- Do you put the non-opinion of a cell mass above the opinion of a mother or a doctor (who can evaluate the risks)?

'You're still terminating a potential life'

- Linking back to the first point, so is masturbation and celibacy since single gametes (ovules and sperms) are live cells too.

Reply to is abortion ok?

You must be logged in to post a reply!