Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

is abortion ok?

Posted May 3, '14 at 4:02pm

69_69_69

69_69_69

151 posts

I'm split. If the mother got drunk, had sex, and got pregnant, I wouldn't support the abortion. It's the mother's fault, right? But if a girl was raped and got pregnant, aborting the baby would be an understandable possibility, since, you know, she got raped. For me, it depends on whether the mother was responsible or not for the pregnancy.

last edited May 03 2014 04:03 pm by 69_69_69

Posted May 3, '14 at 4:47pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,750 posts

For me, it depends on whether the mother was responsible or not for the pregnancy.

What about when contraceptives fail? What about when the woman's life is at risk? What about if they're still in high school but it was consensual? There are so many factors involved that it's impossible to separate the topic into a few groups.

No one has the right to make that decision for another. It's their body and you do not know their reasons or circumstances. Nor do you need to, and nor do they need to justify them to you.

Posted May 3, '14 at 4:56pm

69_69_69

69_69_69

151 posts

I know that. I admit that I wasn't thinking about those kinds of complications when typing my post. It's true that there are so many factors to getting an abortion that a mother would need to look in depth into their situation to decide whether its right or not to abort their baby.

Posted May 3, '14 at 9:57pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,485 posts

But if a girl was raped and got pregnant, aborting the baby would be an understandable possibility, since, you know, she got raped.

At this point, you've already thrown out pre-birth rights, so why do you object when it's "the mother's fault"?

Posted May 3, '14 at 10:17pm

abt79

abt79

61 posts

The unborn child doesn't really deserve to die because of a man's crimes....if anyone the man should.....so even in the case of rape, still no.
And it's not the woman's choice because it isn't her body.

Posted May 4, '14 at 12:57am

FishPreferred

FishPreferred

1,723 posts

The unborn child doesn't really deserve to die because of a man's crimes....if anyone the man should.....so even in the case of rape, still no.
And it's not the woman's choice because it isn't her body.

1 It isn't a child unless she leaves it to develop. No child is dying here; only a cluster of cells.
2 It's a parasitic organism attached to her body. Whether she allows her body to become an incubator for this organism is her choice.

Posted May 4, '14 at 5:30am

09philj

09philj

2,090 posts

1 It isn't a child unless she leaves it to develop. No child is dying here; only a cluster of cells.

In place of child, the term foetus should actually be used: it's not a child until it's born.

What if you found out your future child had a high chance of having a severe genetic defect? What would you do then? (Assuming it's still an embryo at this stage. Just a ball of cells)

last edited May 04 2014 05:31 am by 09philj

Posted May 4, '14 at 6:25am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,436 posts

Knight

What if you found out your future child had a high chance of having a severe genetic defect? What would you do then? (Assuming it's still an embryo at this stage. Just a ball of cells)

Honestly, I would be at a loss. Would the defect severely hamper my child's ability to live normally, and how so? Would it be better to deny him/her a chance to live, albeit a cursed life, or would it be more merciful to proceed with an abortion?

Either way, it would be best if the option was available.

Posted May 4, '14 at 7:43am

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,415 posts

Knight

People always forget about the woman. "The unborn child doesn't really deserve to die because of a man's crimes!". So what about her? Does she deserve to be reminded day by day of that traumatic event? Does she deserve to be forced to carry out the son of her rapist in case it makes it through pregnancy alive?

No. In cases of rape, for the victims sake I say any resulting pregnancy should be prevented, lest it aggravates or prevents any recovery.

Posted May 4, '14 at 2:26pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,750 posts

In place of child, the term foetus should actually be used: it's not a child until it's born.

It really doesn't matter. The words are interchangeable. Fetus is a stage of development, while child simply means immature human offspring. It's the difference between how specific you want to be. Personally, as long as the fetus/baby is intending to be carried to term by the mother (or would have been intended if she had known in the case she didn't), I think rights of protection should apply to that fetus/baby.

What if you found out your future child had a high chance of having a severe genetic defect? What would you do then?

That would depend entirely on the circumstances. My financial situation, partner's opinion, and nature of the genetic defect would all be huge components that could shift it. Especially if it was a child that had been planned and wasn't the result of failed contraception.

Does she deserve to be forced to carry out the son of her rapist in case it makes it through pregnancy alive?

And even after the pregnancy is over, her body has been permanently changed. There's a chance of her dying too.

No. In cases of rape, for the victims sake I say any resulting pregnancy should be prevented, lest it aggravates or prevents any recovery.

I fully agree that a woman who has been raped (not just women can be raped) has the choice of whether she wants to take measures to prevent/abort a pregnancy, but I don't think it "should be" as an absolute statement.

I thought of an interesting question. What if a woman lies to a man or purposefully undermines contraception with the intention of getting pregnant? What if a woman rapes a man and impregnates herself? Would the man have any legal right to have that woman receive an abortion?

Reply to is abortion ok?

You must be logged in to post a reply!