ForumsWEPRis abortion ok?

867 278451
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

Is abortion ok? I donât think so. The babies that these people are killing is wrong, some people say that itâs not a person that itâs a bag of cells or a fetus and not really human being I have to disagree

Please debate

• 867 Replies
arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

it's not an infant, yet. she still has the right to kill it, and by all means she should if she doesn't want it. you can't kill an infant, but the fetus is free game.
So you do think that abortion is murder?
what happened to your zeal? you said the mother has to live with her mistakes even if it kills her, so what is different here? maybe god is only obsessed with beautiful babies.
If the baby is certain to die or his life endangers that of the mother then yes i do think abortion is ok. I generally disagree with, but that doesn't mean I have to support 100%.
do you know how many girls are up for adoption right now in china? millions of girls are up for adoption in china because the family wanted a boy as the first born. there are too many babies on this earth right now in china alone, so why should we add even more stress to the world's food, water, electricity, and oxygen supply just because your god demands multiplication?
That shows the flaws of the one child system in china. Males are looked to be more important then females so families would want one male over one female. I am sure if that policy was rid of many families would keep their female children.
there is a difference between eugenics, and american abortion. eugenics forced the mother to have the children, judged the "arian level" of the child, and then banned her from having any more should she birth a child with any defect. this system, however, gives the mother plenty of options, won't restrict her from aborting on her own will, and will let her have children again. these systems are more or less opposites. nice use of pathos rhetoric though.
Sorry but im having a little trouble understanding what your trying to say.
it isn't alive to begin with, so therefore your statement is invalid.
Your killing the potential of life.
wouldn't that prove the system, however little result, can work? all it needs in order for it to be better, is more support.
Were all human and we all contribute (or at least try) to society. If a murderer has that, it doesnt excuse him from escaping justice.
if the person is insane, then this is a flawed view. there is no such thing as deterrence from insanity, so killing an insane person to prevent insane people from being insane is just as irrational as the insane person's perspective.
I never said I support that death penalty for the mentally ill. Only for adults who murdered with intent to kill and have to mental illness.
"an eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind."-Ghandi.
I really don't like that proverb. I believe in equal, not greater, retribution.
in most cases like that, the gunman kills himself already, so it wouldn't really matter.
Ok what about a man who kills his wife? He has no mental illness and purposefully killed her.
arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

"You made a mistake, here, bring a life into the world and go through a crap ton of pain, help overburden the adoption centers and foster care programs. I hope you learn your lesson."
Some states have safe haven laws.
It won't die from the mere fact of being out of the womb. Don't intentionally try to distort what I say, please.
But it still will die without proper care, just like a fetus would die with unproper care.
I would like to ask why are so many anti-abortion advocates so anti-women's rights?
Just because I don't support abortion doesn't mean I am anti-women's rights.
"The South, where 80 percent of all executions take place, has a higher murder rate than the North." -From the link I provided earlier.
The death penalty is probably there because of the high crime rate. Also consider that crime is high in high poverty areas not just in the USA but around the world.
If you want to start a capital punishment thread, be my guest. We're getting off topic.
Agreed.
fetus = not cognitive no personhood
Still has the potential to become a person.
criminal = cognitive with personhood and mental problems, could be helped or studied.
Are you saying all or most criminals are mentally ill?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Some states have safe haven laws.

That's not really the point though, is it? You're advocating that a woman needs to 'learn her lesson' by bearing the child.

But it still will die without proper care, just like a fetus would die with unproper care.

A fetus cannot survive outside the womb. An infant can. It is separable from the mother. Further, one could consider the fetus a part of the mother's body, until such time it has a developed brain. What do you call the umbilical cord? Or that she's supplying -all- of the nutrients for it to grow?

But is not yet one.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Bleh, didn't see the first post, only the second.

Shouldn't it be the mother's choice if she wants to bring a life into the world? As you said, it is potential. So is each ovum. So is each sperm. A fetus is just further along. Each ovum has the potential to be another person, menstruation is naturally 'killing the potential of life.'

justice.

You know, I've come to dislike the term. Justice is hypocritical. Someone kills someone else, so you kill them? Now you've killed someone too.

I believe in equal, not greater, retribution.

It doesn't solve anything.

Ok what about a man who kills his wife? He has no mental illness and purposefully killed her.

I would argue that no sane person would kill their wife.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Actually, you don't support women's rights. You're male, you have no say in the matter. Women's rights were fought for to give WOMEN the say in having the child. You are attempting to rid them of one of the rights that took hard work to get. Can you get pregnant? No, you're male. I'm sure if you were female you'd see a very different side of the bloodied coin.

Tell me, what is the good part of not aborting? Horray, another bloody child in an overpopulated world. How much did that do?

As for 'teaching a lesson', people make mistakes. You say a mistake needs to be reprimanded by dumping a woman with a lifelong burden? What if the family's financial situation changes during pregnancy? What if the husband (or single mom) loses their job? You are, to the greatest point possible, extremely ignorant.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

So you do think that abortion is murder?

Murder implies the killing of another person. The fetus has yet to develop personhood, thus not murder.

If the baby is certain to die or his life endangers that of the mother then yes i do think abortion is ok. I generally disagree with, but that doesn't mean I have to support 100%.

And we have seen in recent news how well having anti-abortion laws can impact the decision to preform such operations, even when the mother's life is threatened.

It's already alive, it's stopping it's potential to become a person. In that regard it's not much different than preventing the sperm and egg from meeting. It's just at a later stage of the process.

I really don't like that proverb. I believe in equal, not greater, retribution.

An eye for an eye is stating equal retribution. Ghandi was pointing out how that ideology was flawed.

The fetus will die if cared for or not if removed from the mother's body.

You do seem to be stating how a woman doesn't have the right to decide what will happen to her body. Though your statements weren't exactly what I had in mind when writing that. I was thinking of things how some politicians have advocated the use of trans vagina probes to not only make the process of abortion more invasive but to try and put more emotion duress on the woman than she might already be going through with making such a decision. Or comment like the "legitimate ****" in order to exclude **** victims from being able to get abortions, because of a bs claim that they "secretly wanted it".

The death penalty is probably there because of the high crime rate.

That really doesn't make any sense. Though it still would seem to show the death penalty to be a poor deterrent to crime.

I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing that it isn't person yet and the mother is. As such it's the decision of the person involved being physically effected.

Are you saying all or most criminals are mentally ill?

I would argue most likely are or at least were under severe emotional duress. Either way we are talking about a mental condition the result of chemical imbalances, physical malformations in the brain or both. All of which I see as potentially treatable.
sk8er
sk8er
7 posts
Nomad

omg no its not the baby is Jesus's child

GhostOfMetal
GhostOfMetal
694 posts
Shepherd

It's already alive, it's stopping it's potential to become a person. In that regard it's not much different than preventing the sperm and egg from meeting. It's just at a later stage of the process.

This I must disagree with. Your logic is not flawed, however, preventing the sperm from fertilizing the egg is very different. This is considered birth control while abortion is considered termination, very different. Terminating a child in the womb is like crushing a chicken egg [that is planned to hatch into a chick] before it hatches. also, abortion has a vastly different psychological on the mother (and sometimes the father but more-so the mother) than simply avoiding pregnancy.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Terminating a child in the womb is like crushing a chicken egg [that is planned to hatch into a chick] before it hatches.

Planned? It's a biological process, neither the chick or hen have any concept of planning.

also, abortion has a vastly different psychological on the mother (and sometimes the father but more-so the mother) than simply avoiding pregnancy.

Here's a very common misconception. We aren't advocating everyone go out and get pregnant, then abort. We're saying that the woman should have a choice about what's happening in her body.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

This is considered birth control while abortion is considered termination, very different.

Different in what aspect? That we gave them different names? It doesn't even make sense as abortion can technically also be counted as birth control.

Here's a very common misconception. We aren't advocating everyone go out and get pregnant, then abort. We're saying that the woman should have a choice about what's happening in her body.

In some way, abortion can be seen as a further method of birth control, in case preventive methods didn't work. Which supports Mage in saying it's the same at a later stage.
GhostOfMetal
GhostOfMetal
694 posts
Shepherd

This is understood. However, it would be wise for the couple to consider the consequences for unprotected intimacy in addition to preventing pregnancy. I'm not saying abortion isn't the wrong thing to do when it is the result of **** or when the mother's life is in danger. By all means, it is the mother's right to life and pursuit of happiness to abort the child then. However, when she willingly puts herself at risk to get pregnant, that is when it is wrong.

Planned? It's a biological process, neither the chick or hen have any concept of planning.

Planned was a poor word to use their. perhaps scheduled or preparing are better choices to fit my sentence.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Planned was a poor word to use their. perhaps scheduled or preparing are better choices to fit my sentence.

You do know that each second pregnancy doesn't even make it through the first weeks, naturally, right? As such, abortion is not an unnatural tweak, it is just changing the odds to a more favorable situation.

I do agree however that abortion should not be taken lightly; it's like those "lifestyle cesareans", people tend to forget that it is a medical operation respectively treatment after all. But diabolizing abortion is the wrong way, it should be the right of a woman to decide what happens with her body at all times.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

However, it would be wise for the couple to consider the consequences for unprotected intimacy in addition to preventing pregnancy.

Abortion advocates are all for contraceptives.

However, when she willingly puts herself at risk to get pregnant, that is when it is wrong.

As I have said before, there are other circumstances.

That's why we use &quototential." It's not yet the chick/baby. Any number of things can happen in the interim.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

This I must disagree with. Your logic is not flawed, however, preventing the sperm from fertilizing the egg is very different. This is considered birth control while abortion is considered termination, very different. Terminating a child in the womb is like crushing a chicken egg [that is planned to hatch into a chick] before it hatches. also, abortion has a vastly different psychological on the mother (and sometimes the father but more-so the mother) than simply avoiding pregnancy.

I don't den that there are some differences. Yes each stage will carry different levels of baggage to the people involved. Though keep in mind I was speaking of it's impact on the potential for the development to become a person. As I said "in that regard" it's not really much different.

However, when she willingly puts herself at risk to get pregnant, that is when it is wrong.

If someone willingly eats raw unprocessed food, knowing the risk of contracting a parasite and does, it must be wrong for them to rid their body of that parasite. Because they must live with the consequences of their actions.
GhostOfMetal
GhostOfMetal
694 posts
Shepherd

If someone willingly eats raw unprocessed food, knowing the risk of contracting a parasite and does, it must be wrong for them to rid their body of that parasite. Because they must live with the consequences of their actions.

A parasite causes bodily harm via infect. However, pregnancy, while it does, in a sense, cause bodily harm, it is a natural process. If she doesn't want the baby, she can put the baby up for adoption for someone who does want it. the experience and trauma from it, will likely keep her from having another baby she doesn't want. (wow, I'm making this sound like torches. I only mean it as a "I made a mistake and learned from it" from the woman's perspective).
Showing 586-600 of 867