ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169733
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I have to go with Bob Dylan. His was the best. It sounded the most like the way the song should have been.
- Eric Clapton (Cover version ��" 1975)-Never really been a fan of Eric Clapton. It was alright though.
- Randy Crawford (Cover version - 1989)-I really liked it, but just Bob Dylan's version was better to me.
- Guns N' Roses (Cover version ��" 1992)-This one made it sound to upbeat for me.
- Selig (Cover version - 1997)-No, I hated this one. It was horrible to me.
- Avril Lavigne (Cover version - 2003)-Sounded more like talking to me then singing

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

My vote goes to the G&V version, but Im bias, its the one I grew up with.
The BobD version is pretty classic, but Im not really a big fan of his voice. Still, pretty awesome.
I was quite impressed by the Clapton version.
I actually liked the Avril version, had some heart to it.
Selig version sounded watery and really didnt like it.
Randy version... ugh! Buh! Nah!

So my vote goes to the Guns'n'Roses version

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

For me...the only 2 versions I really liked were Dylan's and Selig's.

They both kept that emotion with it and were the most enjoyable to listen to for me.

Though my vote goes to Bob Dylan...the emotion he put into it and his voice were both unmatched

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Guns'n'Roses is the clear winner for me.
i like the more activity in the song then the other.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

At first, I thought it would be hard to choose between all the options, but three of them were ruled out almost immediately. So it was easier than I expected.

Selig's cover is... weird. When I listened to the song, I felt like I was stuck inside a dream, floating away in the sky. And the echo effect makes it even more psychedelic. Maybe I'm not ready for this kind of music.

Sorry to all Guns & Roses fans, but I totally dislike their cover, probably because I don't like the band. I found this cover extremely excruciating to listen to. It is too noisy for such a meaningful song and the singer's voice doesn't fit in the song at all, especially at the beginning when Axl's high voice seems to be recorded over his real voice. But at least they bring the song to their own field and I guess they did the best they could in their own way and style.

Randy Crawford's voice is really nice. There's no doubt about that. I would like her cover if it wasn't for the fact that the music doesn't fit in with the lyrics. Actually, I feel like I'm listening to an old love song, especially due to the sound of the saxophone. I think the feelings in this cover are definitely not the same as in the original and she didnât capture the pain at all.

Clapton's cover is great. He is such a great guitarist. I really like the instrumental arrangements made to the song because they give it a completely different tune.

Avril Lavinge does a really good job here. I'm actually impressed by her cover. I didn't think I would like it because I expected something more upbeat from her, but it is quite beautiful and moving.

Again, the original is the best for me. Dylan's a great songwriter and you can feel the emotion of the song through his voice. I think that everything in the song is perfectly balanced: few instruments, great vocals and meaningful lyrics. It's definitely an example of the way music should be made.

So I'm voting for Bob Dylan.

P.S.: I hope all the sentences make sense. I only slept 3 hours and my brain is a bit off.

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

And once again i made the mistake of listening the original first because that always sets certain standards for cover versions.

*Selig: they made the song sound like it's just a slower and dreamier version than the original , didn't work for me.
*Guns N' Roses: That's just me but i just find most of their songs to have somewhat of a forced feeling to it and this song was no exception.
*Randy crawford: i generally dislike that style of music and this was an example when lyrics and song style just don't match.
*Avril Lavigne: This wasn't all that bad actually but i found it missing a certain amount of feel to it.

*Clapton: as expected this one was a close second but it just missed the emotion Dylan put into it to make first place

So my vote goes to the original again.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

First votes are in! Let's see who takes a lead or battles for the win! =D

First score count shows :

4 - Bob Dylan (Original version)
-VS-
2 - Guns 'n Roses (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Eric Clapton (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Randy Crawford (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Selig (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Avril Lavigne (Cover version)

My... my... my... seems like Bob Dylan is taking the lead here, so again... the original is the favorite version?! For now that is... this battle isn't over yet, anything can happen!

There are some people that I'm waiting for to vote and there could be some development when they are in... let's wait and see what it gives!

But untill then... we need those voters! So come on people! Look, listen and VOTE!!!

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

ok, here we go:

Bob Dylan - This is jut how music should be. So real, so emotional. I mean you feel like you can identify with him when he's singing this.

Eric Clapton - I like the song, but being that i need to compare versions, i think this may be a little too fun compared to what i think it should be.

Randy Crawford - Ok, not who i was expecting, lol (I think I was picturing Randy Neuman). She's smiling while she's singing it and it's driving me nuts. The music is nice. However, I don't think she gets the song.

Guns N Roses - This is my favorite version musically and the reason it's probably my favorite remake. There are times when I like Axl's singing of this as it evokes the right emotions. Then he goes "hey hey hey hey yeah" and i think are you making fun of the song?

Selig - Ok, I was digging it until he went falsetto. What the BLEEP was that?!?!? It just totally ruined the song. That pisses me off so much I'm declining to comment further on their version.

Avril Lavigne - Wow. Not what I was expecting at all. She sings it like she gets it. This is NOT a happy dancey song. This is an emotional song. I don't think she changed the music at all, but her singing of the song just blew me away. By far my new favorite remake of the song. I just added it to my list of songs to get as a matter of fact.

Ok now for the voting... from worst to first:

In the compost heap buried under last weeks fecal matter - Selig

5 - Randy Newman (STOP SMILING!)
4 - Eric Clapton (Nice but just seems too fun)
3 - Guns N Roses (A little less Axl, a little more Slash)

can I just vote for a tie? you know, give a half a vote to each? No? uggghh... ok

2 - Bob Dylan (I cannot believe I just typed that)

which means my vote goes to

1 - Avril Lavigne

I think I may just be on an emotional high from listening to her version. I may come to my senses at any moment and want to change my vote, but something about the surprise and appreciation of the treatment of the song makes me need to give her props in the form of my vote. But to be honest I can listen to eithr version all day long. If Bob could still sing like that I'd like to hear them sing it together.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ ilberic : I was smiling at the first mentioning of Randy Newman... but the second mentioning got me laughing out loud with an ear-to-ear grin! Thank you for the belly ache!

Another vote in and it's one for the little lady in the pack! My personal favorite as well! Thanx! =)

So, the renewed score count shows :

4 - Bob Dylan (Original version)
-VS-
-VS-
1 - Avril Lavigne (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Eric Clapton (Cover version)
-VS-
-VS-

Now that Avril has joined the ranks, the battle is wider spread and might even make for a surprise, allthough I will be posting a new battle Monday... probably... we'll see!

And no... you can't change your vote later on ilberic! It's noted and documented now! Heheheh...

Now keep those votes coming people! 6 different versions means more spread over the artists so all I can say is... MORE VOTERS WANTED!!! =D

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Writing as it comes..

Bob Dylan:
Nothing much to add. Great song, great feeling. Rhythm is great, fast enough to not be sleepy, slow enough to be devout.

Eric Clapton:
Feels good, I always liked the style he had, and he made a nice interpretation of the original.

Randy Crawford:
Please make it stop! Uff, thanks... She has a great voice, but honestly this Jazz/Gospel/Dylan mixture doesn't work out at all.

Guns N' Roses:
Oi. No. The music is ok, but I don't like the vocals. Too much unfitting decoration elements, and the strident backvocals make it sound weird.

Selig:
Interesting cover, I like the way they turned the feel, and though the use of the echoing is a bit weird at first, it integrates well into their version.

Avril Lavigne:
Sounds ok. Freshly simple, like the girl-next-door singing this in her room and playing the guitar herself. Nothing that knocks me off my socks though.

---
I have an idea for my vote and I hope it's ok.. I simply gave already enough votes to the original and Dylan himself in past battles.

I'll declare Bob Dylan's original as the sovereign version, and vote only among the covers. Eric Clapton gets my vote for keeping the spirit and musicality of the original while creating it's own identity.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This battle has been slacking long enough again and since it got buried again... (again!) ...I'll post a new battle to get it noticable again! There! =)

With the last vote from HahiHa, Eric Clapton has joined the ranks of versions voted for, but in the end... the original version won again! Funny! =)

4 - Bob Dylan (Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
-VS-
1 - Avril Lavigne (Cover version)
-VS-
1 - Eric Clapton (Cover version)
-VS-
-VS-

Allright, that's that... next!

---

Battle # 10 : Smooth Criminal

I thought it was time to have an MJ song in the competition as he has made so many great songs and this one being covered by Alien Ant Farm was actually pretty good. I've added another symphonic orchestra cover to have some diversity in the battle. The other ones I've found were actually all dissapointing... allright, here we go! Poster please...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8321/8053897309_792158aa60_b_d.jpg

Original and Cover version information :

- Michael Jackson (Original version - 1988)
- Alien Ant Farm (Cover version - 2001)
- David Garrett (Instrumental cover version - 2008)

Maestro... ringg zee bell if you please!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

MJ is great, a little wierd personally, but musically he's great. A legend even. But on this song I'm going to have to vote for Alien Ant Farm

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I've always felt that, though MJ's version is great, I've always thought AAF captured the feel of the song much better. The lyrics, to me anyway, make more sense as a hard rock song than as a dance song.

I actually didn't know the original version was done by Michael Jackson until shortly after he died. Alien Ant Farm did such a great cover that it didn't sound like a cover of a song from a different era. David Garrett is an amazing violinist, but his cover doesn't really stand alone; if you don't know the original version of the song (or the AAF cover), David's version just sounds like any other classical violin piece.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Honestly, this is too close.

Michael Jackson is a legend, and it sounds great with his voice and it sounds perfect as a dance song.

That said, Alien Ant Farm pulled it off perfectly as a different genre, they made it their own while still allowing you the proper referencing with the dance moves and M.J.'s classic "Aoow!" many a time.

Even Garret pulled it off right. It was represented in a perfect mix of rock and classical that it reminded me of Trans Siberian Orchestra, brilliant.

Due to this tie in quality, I have to give it to M.J. for creating such a versatile song in the first place.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I'm going to have to vote for Michael, because he is the king of pop and his version is the most epic for me! The other two are awesome too, which is somewhat of a rarity in the cover world, but MJ adds his legendary dancing to this legendary song!

Dance music will prevail!! =D

Showing 91-105 of 198