ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169722
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

I, as always, must give this to the original.

4. The Beatles.
The guitar, along with every other version, was well done, although it doesn't seem possible to get wrong. What I didn't like was the British accent, it didn't go along with the song and made the chorus sound slurred.

3. Electric Lights Orchestra.
The voice was too low for the sound of the song.

2. Status Quo.
The voice was also too low on this song also, but less so, but what really put this under was that the chorus sounded a bit slurred, as with the Beatles' version.

1.Chuck berry.
As always, the original nailed it. The guitar combined with his voice had the good ol' classic rock feel.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I think Chuck Berry has earned a huge cooky for this song and for making probably the best version out of it, speaking in terms of classic Rock'n'Roll. Great guitar work, phantastic voice, and awesome performance on stage.

The Beatles... argh, I'm usually a huge fan of them, but this song here, makes them sound more like what they looked like in the video - a group of youngsters performing their good but cute version of the song. Why...

Status Quo has a fitting name. They always make good Rock'n'Roll music, it's always a pleasure to listen to - but they don't do much progress past that, they don't have something really special about them. Just plain good music.

ELO is the shooting star here imo. I still prefer the original as a piece of good ol' Rock'n'Roll, but ELO not only made a great cover, they also adapted it and gave it their own personal touch without mucking up the original at all. Epic classical intro, epic guitar intro, epic violin solo - they also get points for actually using a classical instrument (even two) for their song as reference to Beethoven.

There are a few passages I'd change in the ELO version, but in general I like what they did with the song. Had they had Chuck Berry to sing the lyrics and dance on the stage, it would have been awesome.

Therefore I vote ELO.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I heard all the versions and frankly I find the original just so much better. In my book there's simply no competition. Chuck Berry's guitar solos on this song are absolutely amazing! The original is totally timeless and has an incredible, contagious energy. It's pretty simple and almost economical yet so powerful! I love it.

My vote goes to Chuck Berry.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

as much as i liked the song of the last round. that much i dislike this song.

4th place. the original: i think it is the recording quality that i disliked most. i couldn't even understand the words "roll over beethoven"
3th place. the beatles: the recording was allot better but the song didn't improve much.
2nd place. status quo: the brought a great rock sound to it. something a can appreciate allot.
1st place, ELO: actually couldn't a choose between them and status quo. but i love the hair and sunglasses in the video and ofcourse that cape of the other dude. so they basically won by looks xD

but non of them scored higher then a 5.5 out of 10 for me.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

I liked every version about equally, which is very rare in a situation like this considering that all four versions are from different eras. My vote goes to the original, though, because it had the same energy as the later versions but at an earlier time when that energy was harder to come by.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

This is the first time I've enjoyed all the versions. I think it's rather strange because, as Armpit says, the songs are from different musical periods.

The Beatles did a good cover and their voices harmonize well together. However, for me it's too mellow (sorry if that isn't the right word, the dictionary isn't helping me...). It lacks the energy that the original has.

What I like about ELO's cover is the fact they added a string trio, which obviously fits very well with the name of the song. I really like that mix of musical styles. The violinist is great, the solo is amazing... and the his suit is lovely.

Status Quo's cover has a great sound. The vocals are also nice and really suit this rock'n'roll song.

Although the other versions are pretty good, for me the original wins this time. The energetic spirit of this song is extraordinary and the guitar sound is mind-blowing. Chuck Berry's songs always cheer me up, no matter if I'm in a really bad mood. Probably, the quality of the audio/video isn't great. Honestly, that didn't make me enjoy this song less.

Therefore, my vote goes to the original: Chuck Berry.

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

I didn't really like the original Chuck Berry as much, to me it just wasn't as catchy and I found I was getting bored with the song here. I liked the harmonies in the Beatles version. Status Quo had a great level of energy. However, once again, something that is not as expected is what will make this vote for me. I really enjoyed the use of the violin in the ELO version and the hair made me laugh. I just feel like ELO had the most fun with the song, as well as their personal appearances.

My vote goe to Electric Light Orchestra.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Beatles - Clap...clap...clap...clap...clap...can't escape that clapping!! Would have liked it more had that clapping not been there -_-

Status Quo - I liked it..but wasn't anything really special

Chuck - Beautiful! The voice was great, and the guitar was definitely the best out of the choices..would have own had it not been for...

ELO - Oh wow...that was..amazing! The entire time, just this feeling of awe came over me from the song...and that cape...what an awesome cape

indianajones1
indianajones1
74 posts
Nomad

I don't know why,but everybody copy MC Hammer's 'Can't Touch This' and C&C Music Factory's 'Everybody dance now'.I really don't know.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

now mrdaycee is a mod, this topic is dead? =(
i was just getting into it =/

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

This thread isn't dead (well, I hope so), but I think he's pretty busy at the moment with his new duties. I'm sure that he'll post a new battle when he has a chance.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

Day Cee has told me that this thread will continue, though his time will be a bit more spoken for, meaning update intervals could be longer. I'm sure he doesn't know quite yet how his change in responsibilities will affect his free time, but I fully expect him to continue this, my favorite thread (and the only one i really watch anymore).

I don't know why,but everybody copy MC Hammer's 'Can't Touch This' and C&C Music Factory's 'Everybody dance now'.I really don't know.

what? I guess I haven't heard anyone else do these... ever. Not saying your wrong, but I'd be surprised to find it true.

I know Mc Hammer used Rick James' Super Freak for Can't Touch This, but other than that..
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

good to know. it's the only 1 i look for in this section aswell.

I know Mc Hammer used Rick James' Super Freak for Can't Touch This, but other than that..

i think richard cheese and wierd al yankovits (am i close?) made a cover from can't touch this.

everybody dance now probably has a ****load of remixes. do they count as cover? i dunno.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I don't know at this point... I'll listen to them later

And i have a suggestion. Turn the Page.
Metallica or Bob Seger

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

And i have a suggestion. Turn the Page.