ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169737
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
nebmas
nebmas
154 posts
Shepherd

It's an interesting song and has an interesting story behind it. I think that it is interesting because Metallica took a fairly simple rhythm and simple set of chords and turned it into something with a lot of depth and expression. Lucie took the main expression out of that song and just put the fairly typical dynamics into the song. Also, the cover for the Metallica version is more interesting to watch as well. And a guitar ensemble is not the most used set of instruments for a love ballad and orchestra's are user for many things. Also, I think that the Metallica would appeal to more people. There is so much of music like it out there that people love so is should be popular. And if it boiled down to personal taste, Metallica wins. (partly because I am a guitarist and partly because i like music like that)

so yeah Metallica.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

The song is simply epic as a power ballad. Her version is not bad, but Metallica's in this case is simply unbeatable.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Thanx to all for checking into the thread and voting so massively! I will be posting the new battle tomorrow for you to have a good look at and provide critisism upon! =)

Note for everyone who failed to read the OP completely :

Do NOT post battle suggestions in this thread, only on my profile!

This way, everyone can clearly see what the latest battle is, ok? Thanx!

cooldownman
cooldownman
116 posts
Nomad

defiantly Metallica

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

Metallica

As you know DayCee, I'm a huge metalhead So, this wasn't too hard of a decision. Everything in the original is just better if that's enough explanation.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Looking at the score... poor Lucie Silvas didn't stand a chance against Metallica with her cover of 'Nothing Else Matters' as it seems! (o.O)

15 - Metallica (Original version) - WINNER!!
-VS-
0 - Lucie Silvas (Cover version)

I guess the original version is the undisputed winner in this first round...

@ cooldownman : You vote was not counted due to failing to post a reasoning to your vote... thread's rules!

Allright, on with the next battle! I have received several suggestions already (thank you guys!), but I had this one in mind already, so I'll be posting the suggested battles later on, ok? =)

OvC Battle # 2 : Word Up

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7100/7307617366_9114040984_z_d.jpg

This song has actually been covered 3 times by different artists and they each gave their own sound to the original song, even a dance version! =D

- Cameo (Original version - 1986)

- Gun (Cover version - 1994)

- Melanie B (Cover version - 1999)

- KorN (Cover version - 2004)

Time to ring the bell once more for the second round! =D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

Here we go people! VOTE!!!

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

That guy from Startrek was in the Cameo video. He was the Detective with the megaphone.

I thought Gun had the best version. Melanie B had a horrendously annoying voice, and Cameo had an annoying voice too. Korn was pretty good, but Gun had the most rockish feel to it, and so they get my vote.

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

It's a close call between gun and korn.

The original wasn't all that bad but it just isn't really my style.
Melanie B just pretty much ruined the song completely.

So i guess my vote is going to go for korn, because even though i like gun's version, i still prefer the vocals brought by korn.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Well lets look at each of them by themselves

Cameo- I liked the tone but like Mav said the voice was annoying. Too digitized for me.

Gun- Too rockish for me. Unlike Mav I didn't really like the rock with that song. It wasn't horrible just not my style.

Melanie B- NOOOO. Just no. Listened to a bit of it and I didn't really like it at all.

KorN- Probably most like the original but without the annoying digital voice. Therefore it was my favorite.

So if you were to lazy to read all that, it really isn't much, I vote of KorN.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I vote of KorN.

And this is what my grammar turns into when I workout right before bed, wake up at 6:30 and then around 9 go work in the yard for 3 hours. Obviously supposed to be "I vote for KorN".
ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

After listening to all 4 versions of this song, I must say I'm completely sick of it. My vote for this battle will be Cameo, followed closely by Melanie B. The Gun & Korn versions of this song did literaly nothing to separate themselves from the original, while the Melanie B had a pop sound to it. However, I'm completely turned off by the nasal sounding "singing" of all 4 of them.

So why Cameo for my vote? Because it's the original. Because Gun & Korn did nothing to change it. Because Melanie didn't do enough to overcome my distaste for today's pop music to vote against an original.

Vote - Cameo.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Eh I voted for Lucie...but oh well.

cooldownman
cooldownman
116 posts
Nomad

oh that stinks :/ i was raised listening to Metallica, and i had never heard of the other person.

KORN
same i was raised listening to them, and i have never heard of the other people.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@ nichodemus : You are SO right! Sorry! I did enter the correct score count in my personal data for the thread, but I seemed to have failed in presenting the correct one here... sowwee! (o.O)

@ cooldownman : Fair enough, BUT... that's why there are example videos added to the battle's presentation every time, so people who never heard a certain original or cover can listen to it and then decide!
So, again... your reasoning is not sufficient to get the vote counted. Listen to the other versions too and THEN state your vote WITH reasoning, ok? Thanx!

First score count shows a wide variety of votes for (at least) 3 of the 4 featured artists!

2 - Cameo (Original version)
-VS-
1 - Gun (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Melanie B (Cover version)
-VS-
2 - KorN (Cover version)

This is a nice battle going right now! At least there's more excitement in diversity than with the first battle where one blindly defeated the other contestant... (o.O)

Keep those (reasoned!) votes coming people!! =D

gavrob10
gavrob10
4 posts
Nomad

I think KorN> Also you sould do a smells like teen spirt battle. NIRVANA V.S. MILEY CYRUS. I think I know who will win.

Showing 16-30 of 198