ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169907
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Right... summer break is over and it's time to pick up where we left off! =)

First the final score roundup for the last battle held :

4 - Creedence Clearwater Revival (Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
1 - Elvis Presley (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Ike & Tina Turner (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Status Quo (Cover version)

That was a shock... not! Somehow the original versions seem to be the ones that keep winning the battles here... another one for the original, cover - nil... =)

@ Akado : whasssupp? A new battle is up!!! =P

Here we go!

Battle # 8 : Life is a Highway (Suggested by daleks, thanx!)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8427/7843719270_e5e008f813_b_d.jpg

- Tom Cochrane (Original Version - 1991)
- Chris LeDoux (Cover version - 1998)
- Rascal Flatts (Cover Version - 2006)

Ring that bell!!

Battle start image : http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

This one was tough, I have to admit.

Tom Cochrane was great and everything went together. His voice could work with any noise however. He made it sound right.

The issue was that Chris LeDoux also did it. He matched the guitar to his voice and got it to sound great together. His voice wasn't as versatile as Tom's.

Rascal Flatts matched terribly. It sounded close to the notes from the original but also sounded like they guessed pretty much all of it. This combined with the intentions for those notes to be used by Tom didn't sound good with the high-pitched voice from Rascal Flatts.

I have to say original on this.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

True country fans will no doubt disagree with me, but I myself am not a fan of country music in general so it's natural for me to lean towards the more non-country side.

When I first heard the Rascal Flatts version when it came out, I fell in love with the song immediately. I had never heard the song before by any artist so I had nothing to compare it to. This may be one of the contributing factors as to why I'm voting for this one over the original and the LeDoux cover.

As for Cochrane and LeDoux, I wasn't impressed with the low, quiet voice they used and then switched to unnaturally high for the chorus.

I do, however, think Gary LeVox has a great voice (hence his stage name translating literally into "the voice&quot and made every lyric sound passionate throughout the entire song; and it didn't seem out of place when he sang high for the chorus.

Vote. Rascal Flatts. Cover.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

When I first heard the Rascal Flatts version when it came out, I fell in love with the song immediately. I had never heard the song before by any artist so I had nothing to compare it to. This may be one of the contributing factors as to why I'm voting for this one over the original and the LeDoux cover.

Pretty much what Ernie said. I like the sound of Rascal Flatts' version more.

So Rascal Flatts.

And you are welcome DayCee.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Pretty much what Ernie said. I like the sound of Rascal Flatts' version more.

So Rascal Flatts.

I hate to do this...but that is the same reason for my vote going to Rascal Flatts-cover. Even though I hate country..it was the first version I heard of that song and I enjoyed the energy from it much more
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Um... yeah... I'm also going to vote for the Rascal Flatts version... it has more of a rock vibe to it than the other two, and I prefer rock hands down to country! The other two aren't as good... the singers are mumbling for Christ sake! =P

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

My vote is for Tom Cochrane.

Chris Ledoux would be my second choice. I've always liked him, but he didn't seem to make the song his own.

Rascal Flatts just sounds uninspired. Again, they didn't seem to make the song their own.

Because the differences aren't big enough, my vote goes to the original version, which I loved from the start anyway.

Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

Vote goes to Tom Cochrane

First of all i must admit that country really isn't my thing.
So at first i was planning on voting for Rascal flatts.

Chris ledoux never made any chance on my opinion, didn't like his vocals one bit.

But then i listned the original again and it just had a better feel to it then Rascal flatts version.

So original goes for the top again.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Nice! Already some votes in for this battle! It starts of nicely again! Better than I had expected! =)

@ daleks : I'll count your vote, but it's very poor reasoning to copy someone else's reasoning and then say "Yes, what he said..." I expected better from you to be honest...

Let's see who's going to grab the lead this time around...

3 - Tom Cochrane(Original version)
-VS-
0 - Chris LeDoux (Cover version)
-VS-
4 - Rascal Flatts (Cover version)

Wowzah! A real close call in this battle so far! Something that hasn't happened for a while... maybe even for the first time in this competition! Great! =D

Let's see who will keep/take the lead in this battle! Keep those votes coming people! VOTE!!!

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

As many people said, country music isn't my thing either. It's not the kind of music I usually listen to.

What I don't like about Chris LeDoux version is his voice. It is too low, especially at the beginning. He seems to be reciting instead of singing. I had never heard any song by Chris LeDoux, so I don't know if this is his usual voice. But somehow I like the changes he made compared with the original one.

Rascal Flats' version is more modern, it's rockier and the sound is closer to the music I usually listen to. So, at first, I thought this would be my choice. I love the electric guitar on this version. However, the singer voice doesn't fit in the song very well. It's too high-pitched. As with other modern music, I have the feeling I could listen to the song only a few times. It's the kind of song I usually enjoy a lot at the beginning, but I lose interest quite fast. These are the two main reasons why I don't vote for this version.

Tom Cochrane version' is definitely the kind of song I could listen to over and over again without being tired of. I can't find many things I don't like about it. I think his voice suits perfectly the song, though I have to admit that sometimes it's a bit low for my taste. But I love the guitar solo in it and the harmonica is just great.

So I'm voting for Tom Cochrane's version

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Count one in for Tom Cochrane from me.

The version of Rascal Flatts sounds too much like any kind of modern boys band. That doesn't mean that it sounds bad, it just means the voice does not match the idea of the song so well. I prefer the original for it is much more powerful and has a higher 'happy' level, if that makes any sense.

LeDoux is a very close second, but as his name says, his voice is a tad too dolce for that song.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

And with 2 more votes in, the lead has suddenly shifted back over to Tom Cochrane and his original version!! Who would have thought that this battle would be one to end up in such a close call?! Nice! =)

Score round up shows a 1 vote lead for the original version over the covers!

5 - Tom Cochrane(Original version)
-VS-
-VS-

A new battle will be posted soon, so if you want to help Rascal Flatts back into the saddle for a tie or maybe extend Tom Cochrane's lead over the others, then make sure to get that vote in and have it counted!

VOTE WHILE YOU CAN!!!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Seems like the thread got buried again... dang... =(

Well, the score remained the same for the last battle:

5 - Tom Cochrane(Original version) - WINNER!
-VS-
-VS-

Close, but no sigar for Rascal Flatts... seems like Tom Cochrane grabbed the win in the end!

---

On with the next battle in this competition! =D

Battle # 9 : Knocking on Heaven's Door

This song has been covered numerous times by a whole bunch of bands and artists, but I had to make a decision and pick a few... so I decided to take some covers that were a little diverse from eachother and from different years! Too bad I couldn't find the one covered by GwaR, because that would have been a TRULY different version! LOL

Anyway, here we go! Poster please? =)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8181/7943481052_353739fa56_b_d.jpg

As always, some information about the song in both original and cover versions so you guys can choose!

- Bob Dylan (Original version - 1973)
- Eric Clapton (Cover version â" 1975)
- Randy Crawford (Cover version - 1989)
- Guns N' Roses (Cover version â" 1992)
- Selig (Cover version - 1997)
- Avril Lavigne (Cover version - 2003)

Ring that bell!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Original wins hands down because:

The singer - Lucie Silvas - sounds like a carbon copy of every other "strong" pop singer. Im kinda sick of the same old singer sound. Far too professional so all the love is squeezed out.

"Ooh look, see how I can put all these wavers and trills and blah blah into my voice, Im so emotional, Im so hawt, look at me please, Im a diva!"

Get stuffed, Metallica wins thru being original, the cover is a boring template of the original.

But the orchestral stuff behind is awesome

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Ah, I see I have missed a further bunch of battles, I will need some listening time to catch up

Showing 76-90 of 198