ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169723
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

oke, let's see what this round brings.
ive never heard of the band or the song in general. so i'll gonna type while listening. this might end up really wierd. but i'm gonna try it.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

it has a nice and simple intro and a great (old) sound.
the voice is also great. a little bit of the same tho. if this is how he sings all his songs then i think i can't listen to more then just a few tracks befor wanting to change it.

this sounds like a great song to put on while cruising on a empty highway in the middle of the night. (added to fav. list ^^)

Judas Priest

they brought allot more rock to the song and the intro seems less of the same. the old sound has been changed to better quality. wich is both a + and a - .
the voice sounds good whit the rest of the song and the added guitar solo's gives it a extra taste.
it's less cruising material then the original but still good enough to put on once in a while.

Arthur Brown

au! he ***** the intro badly. didn't saw that comming.
the instruments do there best to make it sound good and sometimes they do so. but then this guy is singing and the instruments almost stop? =S
why is that? it this voice that i really dont like. he try's to hard it seems.
where is the trashcan?

Therion

a cover-cover. =S oke let's try it.

the intro seems gone from the original. they start whit the 2nd part.
but the guitars sound good aswell as the voice. nothing special really. there are hundreds of these kinda songs out there. the guitar solo however is much better then those of the others. it's a nice song to play once in a while for sure. but not really more then that.

=================================
i find it kinda hard to compare Therion whit the original. there barely is anything left of the song. (except the lyrics maybe, i didn't listen to that)
so for those 2 i have to just decide what kind of song do i like more. and normally it would be the cover-cover. but this original is such a great cruising song that i favor it more then the metal.

Arthur Brown go's bottom line but i think you all would have guessed that already. =P

judas priest and therion was better to compare whit eatch other. i find that singing in general comes much more naturally for judas priest. and he kept the original song more in tact then therion did. therefor he go's above therion.

now only the last is left and that judas priest and Fleetwood Mac.also.
normally i would choose for the metal/rock. but not today.

1. Fleetwood Mac
2. Judas Priest
3. Therion
40. Arthur Brown
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

now only the last is left and that judas priest and Fleetwood Mac.also.

now only the last is left and that judas priest and Fleetwood Mac
it's also like whit therion.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

DayCee or ilberic is one of you guys gonna bring this thread back? Or is it long lost

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I was cleaning up a bit and what did I find hidden somewhere in a dark corner...?!

The "OvC" thread!! Time to dust it off and present a new battle to the music loving users of the Armor Games Community!! =)

First to tie up a loose end... the score for the last battle held:

Final Score Battle # 15: Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)

2 - Fleetwood Mac (Original) - Tied for First!
2 - Judas Priest (Cover) - Tied for First!

0 - Therion (Cover)
0 - Arthur Brown (Cover)

Now, on with the next battle -yes it has been a while- in this voting competition! Presenting:

Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3675/12657275404_a458aa1ff7_o_d.png

And of course, some examples to help you choose your winner in this battle :

~ Led Zeppelin (Original - 1970 - LIVE)
~ Adagio (Cover - 2001 - Instrumental)
~ Tomoyashu Hotei (Cover - 2004)
~ Demons & Wizards (Cover - 2005)
~ Ann Wilson (Cover - 2007)
~ Stryper (Cover - 2011)

There were more covers out there, a whole lot of them, even from Nirvana and Queen! But those two were of such poor quality, I decided to leave them out of this round... I bet you would come to alter your thoughts about these bands if you were to hear such bad recordings...

Allright! On with the show!! Y'all ready?!

On we sweep with, with threshing oar...
Our only goal will be to ... RING THAT BELL!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE!!!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I was going to vote for the original, until I heard Ann Wilson's cover. Truly beautiful. It had that Magic Man-esque haunting feel to it, and Magic Man being one of my favorite songs of any era, it would have been hard not to vote for that voice.

As far as honorable mentions that have not yet been mentioned go, this song isn't quite a cover, but I felt it was still relevant to the battle.

Also, listening to all these covers made me realize Led Zeppelin totally ripped off the Get Smart theme.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

@Ernie15 Man... that was a deception... (oO) ...I really thought they made an original song there! LOL ^^

Ah, well... I'm glad you didn't link the Queen version as a cover that deserves an honorable mentioning! That improvised piece of crappery-crap-crap-crap was not worthy of Queen's massive legacy, let alone being compared to an immense icon the legendary band Led Zeppelin is... *facepalms* =/

Right... the show must go on! (bad pun to be ignored) First score count for:

Battle # 16 Immigrant Song :

1 - Led Zeppelin (Original)
1 - Ann Wilson (Cover)
0 - Adagio (Cover)
0 - Tomoyashu Hotei (Cover)
0 - Demons & Wizards (Cover)
0 - Stryper (Cover)

More votes wanted! =)

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Led Zeppelin for sure. I didn't really bother to listen to all of the covers but I love the original

gh0sts
gh0sts
865 posts
Shepherd

The original is still the best. Ann Wilson did a nice job, but it doesn't compare to Zep's version.

CherryCoke360
CherryCoke360
407 posts
Nomad

None of these covers are anywhere near as good as the original and half of them sound exactly the same. definitely the original, cant be beat

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

The covers start out decent, but they all turn into tuneless metal songs somewhere down the line. The one that really caught me with my pants around my ankles was Ann Wilson. She did a remarkable job imitating Robert Plant's voice, but even in that case the beginning was the only good part.

Led Zeppelin made the song short and sweet, and no metal singer is going to be able to imitate Robert's infamous screech at the beginning of the song.

GandalftheGrey666
GandalftheGrey666
1,859 posts
Peasant

The original is the best. Even though I haven't heard the covers, they sure can't match the original song.

no metal singer is going to be able to imitate Robert's infamous screech at the beginning of the song.

^This
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The original by Led Zeppelin will most likely win this battle, and rightly so. Their song is inimitable. Therefore I will give an honorary vote to Demons And Wizards for making not that bad of a job. I still like to listen to their version. Though I'm probably just biased because I like the voice of the singer, especially as the singer of Blind Guardian.

Pieguyme
Pieguyme
1,010 posts
Farmer

The original is the best one here. None of the others really have the right sound to them, if you know what I mean. So my vote goes to Led Zeppelin.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

If I had to choose between the covers, I would choose Ann Wilson's version, because at least it's quite original compared to the other ones. But Led Zep is my favorite band, the original song will always remain the best for me.

Led Zep wins.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Seeing as the vote pool is depleted allmost entirely, I will soon post a new battle. Feel free to vote untill it is posted though! =)

Showing 181-195 of 198