ForumsPopular Media"OvC" Song Battle # 16 : Immigrant Song (Page 19)

198 169761
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This thread is an idea I had for a long time now and it seems like a radio DJ had it too! Since I heard it being held on the radio, I thought it was finally time to introduce it to the music loving users of ArmorGames! Presenting...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7212/7261671524_e00db72481_z_d.jpg

Throughout the history of music, artists have recorded numerous songs for people to enjoy, but sometimes... another artist thinks he/she/they can perform that same song better or think of a different approach/interpretation of it! This can produce a completely different song, sometimes with a big improvement, sometimes it's a complete failure and every now and then... a true (new) gem is made!! =)

This battle thread is all about comparing those songs and the rules of engagement are pretty simple... I post a battle between two songs, one is the original version and one is the cover version. You can vote (once only per battle) for either of the two artists featured in battle, giving them 1 point for your preferenced vote! And an elaborated reasoning is of course required for your vote to be counted in the score roundup, we don't want this thread to be flooded with spam posts after all...

Note this : on several occasions some songs have actually been covered by more than one single artist, therefor battles with more than two artists featured may occur sometimes; the rules will always stay the same though! To clarify once more...

Short list of rules :

1) I will post a new battle ('every week';
2) Only one vote per user, per battle;
3) A reasoning is required to count your vote.

Plain, simple and fun! =)

And if you feel that a certain song needs to be presented in a battle in this thread, please post the battle suggestions on my profile, do NOT post them in this thread as this will only become confusing about which battle is currently featured!

Hope you will like this idea and participate in it! =)

• 198 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Miley Cyrus did "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as a cover?!?! (o.O)

LOL Now that's a weird mixup right there! =)

BUT... as the OP stated... suggestions on my profile and votes need a reasoning yto become counted! Sorry...

FALLEN950
FALLEN950
162 posts
Nomad

Again, the metalhead in me says I vote for KorN.
Although I don't like the song at all KorN is my favorite out of these groups. And, I think they did the best job.

So, KorN...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Mel B's version is really horrendous.. that song needs the rhythm, it cannot flow like it does in her version. Also her music isn't my style at all..
Korn made a good song but it doesn't really match together, the song and their style. It doesn't sound bad but I think they didn't hit the nail there.
Cameo did a good work with rhythm and, here I disgress with some others, also with the voice; not that I liked it so much, but it matches with the song.
However Gun did the best interpretation in my opinion, they kept most of the original feel and yet made a rock song out of it that has it's own life and style. I would propose the following ranking:

1st: Gun
2nd: Cameo
3rd: Korn
4th: Melanie B

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

The thread's starting battle had a good posting count, but it seems like this one has less popularity instead... only half the amount of users checked in to vote sadly... =/

Well, I think my personal vote is needed in this battle as I feel Cameo deserves the credit for coming up with the song in the first place and because he gave it a nice funky groove! The cover version by Gun was a good second as they made a slight change in music, but at the same time added a new and better feeling to the song! Korn was allright, but added nor changed anything to the song and Melanie B just OVERdid it and ended up with a monster... (o.O)

With my vote counted it's time to do a new score count and warn that you all have 1 day left to vote as a new battle will be posted tomorrow! Hurry hurry...

Score count shows :

3 - Cameo (Original version)
-VS-
2 - Gun (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - Melanie B (Cover version)
-VS-
3 - KorN (Cover version)

Again... hurry to get those votes in if you want to people!

New battle is posted tomorrow!! =0

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Personally, I always preferred Korn's version. Frankly, in my opinion it's way better than the original. Korn did a quite good job even though the song is not exactly their style.

Plus, Korn's Word Up is my cell-phone ringtone and in my book that counts for a lot.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

That's it... *DING DING* ...rounds over and we almost had a tie in the end! But KorN grabbed the title in the nick of time! =)

Final count for "Word Up" :

4 - KorN (Cover version) - WINNER!
3 - Cameo (Original version)
2 - Gun (Cover version)
0 - Melanie B (Cover version)

Time for the next round in the "OvC"! Presenting the first suggestion by an AG user...

Battle # 3 : Aerials (Suggested by Zamiel, thanx!)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8153/7348256300_8157a6844c_z_d.jpg

The song is originally by System of a Down, but was covered by 2 other bands, all with their own style and touch added to the song. There even were 2 more covers I found, but they were of insignificant quality, so I decided not to add them to the battle.

All the different versions :

- System of a Down (Original version - 2002)

- Amon Amarth (Cover version - 2011)

- The Pretty Reckless (Cover version - 2012)

And here we go again! =D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/7261876542_c96da7bf7d_d.jpg

VOTE PEOPLE!!!

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

well, i'll tell you this much, I don't like any of the three. By far the worst is Amon Amarth.. THAT is NOT music. I have no idea what they call that garbage, but it is NOT music. I didn't like the sound of The Pretty Reckless either, but at least it sounded like music. I don't care for her voice that much.

Which means, by default, I vote for System of a Down's original version. Most stuff I don't like by them, this one included, but it is the type of sound I expect from them, so in that I take some comfort. Enough comfort to vote for them.

Vote - System of a Down's original version.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Actually I like the first two versions, the original and Amon Amarths cover (but I also listen to Amon Amarth already, so unlike ilberic I say this is definitely music; to me at least).

When I heard the original, I didn't think AA could make a good cover of it; however they managed to make a decend cover. I liked that they made it deeper, darker, like their other songs. The only thing that they couldn't adapt better was the growling, of course.

And I think in this case I'll have to put the singing at first line. The Pretty Reckless didn't sound all too good and I don't think her voice goes well for that song. Amon Amarth, even though they made a decent musical cover, didn't make it sound as one of their best songs and didn't keep the original feel either. I'll give credits to Tankjan and his voice, and the musicians accompagnying it; I think it's very difficult to attempt a cover of that band, as with Tankjans voice it gets a very different feel you cannot simply cover.

System of a Down gets the vote (sorry Amon Amarth...)

cooldownman
cooldownman
116 posts
Nomad

Amon Amarth's version was ok i didn't really like the so "heavy" screamo that he added, The pretty reckless, terrible, just awful the presentation was terrible, her voice was too quiet and she slaughtered the song in my opinion. So my vote is System Of A Down, i enjoyed there's much more it was just good i liked the singing better than the other two, it had a video (but it was weird).

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Looks like the original version is breaking away with a comfortable 3 vote lead over the cover versions of this song! =D

I personally like the original version the most as well, as I can't stand the heavy 'scream-grunting' in Metal music, 'normal' grunting is good sometimes, but the screaming part is really NOT my cup of tea... A decent second in line would be The Pretty Reckless' version I guess as they made a decent cover, but not outstanding at best.
The original song just has a certain feel to it, probably because Serge Tankian has a really distinctive and recognisable voice that makes for a certain emo to the SoaD songs.
LOL I wasn't going to vote at first, but I guess my reasoning on the song took over and therefor I'm adding my vote for System of a Down's original version of Aerials! =)

First score count shows the (now) 4 vote lead of the original version!

4 - System of a Down (Original version)
-VS-
0 - Amon Amarth (Cover version)
-VS-
0 - The Pretty Reckless (Cover version)

I wonder if any of the other two bands will get a vote though... keep them coming people! Next battle is posted coming Thursday! Only 4 days left to state your vote... =)

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I like both the original and the Amon Amarth cover. SOAD is annd always will be an amazing band. I love quite a few songs from them.
However, there is something about Amon Amarth's version that brings out a lot of different flavor in that song. I really like amon amarth's version a lot better.

so I'm going with Amon Amarth.

P.S. Amon Amarth, n'or any other heavy metal band is screamo. Please quit calling it that. Screamo is a mixture of emo music and hardcore punk. Amon Amarth is melodic death metal. The difference is in the guitar. Yes this is music, and it takes a hell of a lot more skill than the computer- generated crap people listen to now-a-days.

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

I'm going to be honest, I didn't like the song period, but I think SOAD did the best job out of the three of them with it. I couldn't really hear Pretty Reckless's voice, and death metal is a taste I'm far from acquiring.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

melodic death metal

isn't that an oxymoron?

i'm with you though, pyro, when you complain about today's "computer-generated crap". i just stated my feelings on that style of music, but it's cool that you like it. i would never think that everyone should listen to what i call music, even though my tastes are pretty far reaching. they just don't reach quite as far as Amon Amarth and the like..
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

melodic death metal

isn't that an oxymoron?

Nope. Melodic death metal uses components of NWOBHM, where it gets it's ''melodic'' bits, and the heavily distorted guitars, fast double-bass drum patterns and sometimes blast beats of Death Metal. They have clean vocals too, intermixed with death growls/screams, rather than the more heavy usage of just death growls in Death Metal.

Try some of the melodic death metal bands from the Gothenburg scene. In Flames, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquillity are all excellent.
Zamiel
Zamiel
175 posts
Nomad

@ Nichodemus
I couldn't have said it better myself, as for the suggested bands they are all worth checking out.

And now comes the tricky part, the actual vote.
Needles to say pretty reckless never stood a chance so the fight is on between SOAD and AA.
SOAD: the original and just as unique as every song serj tankian is unleashed upon, his voice is very typical and instantly tells you that it's system of a down. I'm willing to ignore youtube biatching about how we should all listen to REAL rap like drake and lil' wayne and whatnot.
AA: saw these guys live a couple of times now and i must say they never fail to deliver. Their overall sound is better, vocals and instruments as well so mi vote goes to them, though i think it would be a sight to see them cover chop suey.

Amon Amarth get's the vote

Showing 31-45 of 198