ForumsThe TavernConfidence

16 3592
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I got asked by some friends how to gain more confidence and to be less shy. Now I'm confident but im ntnot mr Confidence. So I though, let's collect tips from the great AG community. I never saw a topic about this and I don't know if it fits the Tavern.
So if u have any tips or your not very confident yourself, just post.

• 16 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i have really low self confidence but i used to have even less. i guess what changed is me getting a job in which you HAVE to interact with strangers.

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

for me I just realized one day that it doesn't matter what other people think. I mean, who are they and why should I care about their opinion? Once I made that realization I became much more outgoing.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Well, I have found out that since I work out and keep myself hygienic I have gotten a lot more self confidence and feel more secure than before.

Aether
Aether
101 posts
Shepherd

just work out, practise picking up girls, stay tipsy all the time. Has worked for me

omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

Well I'm not really good with shows were you hate to be super serious and not make jokes but with a group that a can fool around with I'm mr.confident well I would say start joking around with your friends

samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

who gives a crap what other people think i could sit here and judge every single one of you but no one cares seeeeeeee

beckitten27
beckitten27
336 posts
Peasant

I care samiel

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Well it is kinda a natural innate thing. I have always had a good sense of confidence but it is also a state of mind. Lack of confidence comes from worrying what a person will think of you and I just don't care. =D Be you and some people will like it and some wont, you can't get along with everyone in life =)

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

Everyone has been judged before, but really you shouldn't care what those other people say. I mean you are who you are and nobody can change that.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

So what I am getting here is that don't care what other people say. So if I am a sociopolitical murderer then I should just not listen to the people that are trying to get me to stop killing people.

But if you are a normal person then yes you shouldn't really care what others think of you. People that like you for who you are are your actual friends. There will always be those people that don't really like you. There is nothing you can do about that. Just be yourself and have fun with life.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Lack of confidence comes from worrying what a person will think of you and I just don't care. =D Be you and some people will like it and some wont, you can't get along with everyone in life =)

that. but first id say that its more about the past. usually a person who was never praised, had many friends, was (is) different has low self confidence.

People that like you for who you are are your actual friends. There will always be those people that don't really like you. There is nothing you can do about that. Just be yourself and have fun with life.

true. still, it depends on luck. there are always people of both groups. those who will like you and those who wont. but if your unlucky enough and dont meet enough people who can like you for who you are you might get the feeling thats something is wrong with YOU and not that youre in the wrong place. people have to work on it and understand themselves better to fight such a feeling
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

I used to be really quiet and not able to talk to people I didn't know without getting nervous. I joined Model United Nations (You act as if you were from whatever country you represent, and try to solve the world's problems with other people.) I was forced to come out of my shell, and now I'm able to talk to people alot more. I even went to a huge conference in Chicago and was able to talk to people there

So my advice is to join a club or co curricular (if you are in school) that will let you open up more, and then you will gain confidence in yourself.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I would have more confidence if I didn't have so much experience with social rejection. It wouldn't be a problem if I could only figure out why it seems like so many people act this way towards me (perhaps a lack of confidence?), but my lack of knowledge on the subject has led me to basically stop trying.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I would have more confidence if I didn't have so much experience with social rejection.

Is it mostly rejection? Or a lack of interaction? Because sometimes if people think that you like to keep to yourself they may not bother you.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Is it mostly rejection? Or a lack of interaction?

For starters, very few people initiate reactions with me. I'm almost always the one to start a conversation with someone, and most of the time they'll say something, if they even respond, like "yeah" and then just walk away.
Showing 1-15 of 16