ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStorms Art... :P

81 23279
stormwolf722
stormwolf722
227 posts
Nomad

Well hey my last thread that my art was in was in the wrong topic thingy. so I am posting it here :x
Enjoy...

Winged Wolf
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/424073_124885514303704_801098267_n.jpg

• 81 Replies
stormwolf722
stormwolf722
227 posts
Nomad

I will post more later. I want to see what you guys think of this one.

darkwolf1
darkwolf1
182 posts
Shepherd

It looks graceful in a way stormwolf. Keep up the good work.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

I like the dark swirls on it. I suck at drawing animals :P. Also... how do you post art from your camera to AG? (ive always wondered how,,....)

Keep up the good work

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You know, even if you didn't trace the picture but only eyeballed it, it is generally good custom to mention where we can find the original image, and who the artist is.
Just a small "Source image, artist".

Anyway. As for the picture itself, your linework seems a bit shaky, and considering the rather large parts of black, perhaps also lacking a bit of conceptual understanding. I would probably have chosen to fully shade in the picture, because if the rather dark lineart. It doesn't do good with being basecoloured on its own in my opinion, but each their taste.
Otherwise a good job.

stormwolf722
stormwolf722
227 posts
Nomad

@Faunbard thanks. I copy the links on my art photos from Photobucket or Facebook. I guess you have to upload it somewhere first not sure.

@Cenere, thanks for the tips.

stormwolf722
stormwolf722
227 posts
Nomad

@Cenere. I rather no one trace my art and stalk me thankyou..

The concept of this one is a hand squeezing a thorned rose so hard it pierces the hand..

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561069_144827252309530_100003467695397_170073_747328908_n.jpg

stormwolf722
stormwolf722
227 posts
Nomad

@Cenere. Ohhh nevermind I know what you were saying. Misunderstanding, my apologies.
And I do not trace, I look and copy all my art.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

I like the detail of the rose's pettals,as well Aa the shading technique on the underside of the arm.
Of you look closely, at the shading I mentioned earlier, it looks like some writing ....
@the guy holding the rose..... OUCH

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

These drawings are pretty good! What did you use to draw them?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Seriously, sources.
And it doesn't matter if you trace or eyeball (that is, look and copy), you still ought to credit the original.

Anyway, the crosshatching is a bit overdone, it doesn't look like a shadow as much as some kind of tattoo. And it kinda looks like the hands has six fingers. Otherwise, see comment about shaky lineart and shadows. I would recommend doing a bit of free hand drawing with your pen, so you feel more accustomed to its flow, it might also make you more confident in your own abilities with lineart.
Try to use a lighter line that trails off/fades near the end, instead of the rather thick blocky lineart, it would definitely make the rose looks a lot lighter and refined. We don't need all the detail of where the leaves meet each other, we just need the illusion of it.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Anyway, the crosshatching is a bit overdone

I have to agree with Cen here. I crosshatching does not look like a shadow.
And it kinda looks like the hands has six fingers.

Can you explain where you are seeing 6 Cen? I am only seeing 5.

I like it but the pictures always come out a little dark to me. It makes it hard for me to tell if most of your artwork is just really dark and needs more highlights or if the lighting you take the picture in makes it look that way.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Can you explain where you are seeing 6 Cen? I am only seeing 5.

It's because the bend at the knuckles isn't drawn in, which means this:
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8789/43554662.png
is what I make out of it. Hence the 'kinda', since I am aware that this is merely a fault of not drawing in the folds in the skin, but it is still an amusing illusion, and should probably be considered at another point, should the artist decide to draw another hand.

I like it but the pictures always come out a little dark to me. It makes it hard for me to tell if most of your artwork is just really dark and needs more highlights or if the lighting you take the picture in makes it look that way.

I do believe the fact that these have been photographed in a low light environment might be the reason why the pictures are unusually dark.
Most of the base colour isn't much darker than the paper, and while drawing pads aren't entirely white, they are also not usually this dark.
But highlights (and shadows) would probably improve the visibility of the art as well, at least if nothing else is done.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Critiques! I didn't know they existed on AG ( just kidding). Cen gave some great criticism and I don't really have anything to add to it.

On sources, post them or at the very least just mentioned you looked at something. There is nothing wrong or embarrassing about admitting you looked at a reference picture or that you were trying to replicate someone else's work, especially for a beginning artist, and it makes you come off as a thief, poser and a whole of other nasty words I could think of when you try and pass off a piece of art as your original work.

Anyway, keep practicing. I look forward to seeing your future work.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

What if you cant find the original source? For example, if you drew a picture off a photo of National Geographic at the library... would your source be National Geo.?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

What if you cant find the original source? For example, if you drew a picture off a photo of National Geographic at the library... would your source be National Geo.?

Yes, pretty much. Then you go "Original source: National Geographic magazine" and then preferably either include the year and month of the magazine, or alternatively, the name of the photographer, but obviously that is not always possible.
However, a "Source: Google Images" is like saying you that you bought a shirt in a store, when someone asks. It's not helpful, and it is the opposite of crediting the artist.

As Bronze said, this is mainly to tell that you are not the original artist of the concept and composition. I tend to recommend also crediting the artist, because I know at least I would be somewhat aggravated if I found out someone eyeballed my art and posted it without telling people where they could find my original piece, even if they say they copied the composition.
Anyway, just try to be as precise as possible.
Showing 1-15 of 81