ForumsWEPRanti-theism and the modern world.

16 7067
pyroa
pyroa
5 posts
Nomad

anti theism is basically the word used to descibe not only one who is not involved in an organized religioun, but is also against it. it does not necessarily mean atheist, although it could, it pertains to anyone who does not join an organized religioun. is this a good thing or a bad thing, should religioun be allowed, or should it be enforced? many things we do today is because of religion(i.e. marraige)

• 16 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I think you mean atheism.

Otherwise, there are already many threads on this.

On-Topic:
In today's society, with all of the religions warring and such, atheism may be positive because it gives somewhat of a break to religious affairs. Now, I'm Christian and I still believe atheism is important. What good would come from a WWIII resulting from religious differences?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think you mean atheism.

That part he got right antitheism isn't atheism.

antitheism is against theism, atheism is without theism. One can be an atheist but not an antitheist. Though it's a bit hard to imagine someone being a theist and being against theism, but I wouldn't be surprised if it exists.

is this a good thing or a bad thing

I'm not sure if it could be boiled down to such a question. There are different degrees of antitheism.

should religioun be allowed

Yes it should be allowed.

or should it be enforced?

Enforced in what way?
If you mean should it be made mandatory, than no. It should be a personal thing.

many things we do today is because of religion(i.e. marraige)

Marriage would exist with or without religion. The form it takes for the most part would likely be different.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Though it's a bit hard to imagine someone being a theist and being against theism, but I wouldn't be surprised if it exists.

I think that's the people who are 'mad at God' so they claim to not believe anymore.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Most everything here has been covered but I'll add one thing.

many things we do today is because of religion

No, not really. Religion isn't responsible for anything other than it's own particular set of commands, beliefs, and hatreds. Everything else religion hi-jacks and calls its own.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

it pertains to anyone who does not join an organized religioun.

That's nontheism/nonreligious, not necessarily anti.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

meh i doubt religion is important for us. actually, the only reason im grateful for it are saturdays and holidays.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

...should it be enforced?

Religion or antitheism? Either way, no, it shouldn't. I think it's a personal thing whether one person is religious or against religion.

...should religioun be allowed?

To every man his own. But, of course it should be allowed to be religious.

The form it takes for the most part would likely be different.

Now you're talking about marriage in Christian countries. In Indonesia, marriage is entirely independent from religion, and it has never been affected by one's religion. So, marriages in the Western world are partially/fully influenced by religion. In Eastern countries, depends from the region, really.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

it's a bit hard to imagine someone being a theist and being against theism, but I wouldn't be surprised if it exists.

some months ago, some1 here said he did believe in god but hadn't any trust in his religious leaders and system. and called going to church a waste of time.
i dunno what his reasons behind it are but i guess he can be put in that group.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

some months ago, some1 here said he did believe in god but hadn't any trust in his religious leaders and system. and called going to church a waste of time.

That's not anti-theist, in that it's hating the system itself, but not the beliefs.

My best guess for such a weird juxtaposition of contradictions is that the person detests religion, yet has been brought up and indoctrinated to the extent that he can't see through his narrow paradigm of Divine fear.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i dunno what his reasons behind it are but i guess he can be put in that group.

well he could simply believe in god and thats it. some people even believe in a god but dont follow any of the religions. besides, think about how old most religions are. there is a great chance that what the religion was supposed to be aiming for is totally different from what it is today. many religions have many branches. some christians believe that non-christians go to heaven too. and there is actually a pretty logical explanation for that. who knows, maybe that minority is actually right about what christianity is supposed to be.

the same can be said in most religions.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Did some looking into. It seems a theistic antitheist is one who believes god exists but doesn't believe that god is worthy of worship.

An example would be if someone objectively demonstrated to me that the God of the Bible existed and that God was as he is depicted in the Bible. This God demonstrated to be real would be one I would believe exists, but I wouldn't find such a God worthy of worship. Thus making me a theistic antitheist in such a situation.

pyroa
pyroa
5 posts
Nomad

remember that anti-theism is only when someone does not beleive that there should be organized religioun, or any religioun at all. many people do look this way because of certain topics, such as terrorism is caused by religioun, due to the fact that the terror strikes are caused by muslim radicals trying to convert people over by force, or simply the fact that so much hate and violence happen due to modern religioun, and all throughout time people have had wars to settle religious disputes (i.e. the crusades, the holy war, the pagan uprisings,etc.) some people believe that if religioun had been disowned by people, then these events would not have happened. the numbers of these people are quite staggering in fact, a large chunk of the atheist population belongs to this group, as well as certain poeple who dont hold organized religioun.

pyroa
pyroa
5 posts
Nomad

It seems a theistic antitheist is one who believes god exists but doesn't believe that god is worthy of worship.
MageGrayWolf is correct, thiestic antitheism is a very large group of religioun, millions of people are grouped into this, many without realization of it. It simply means that you dont worship god, but you still beleive that he exists, as MageGrayWolf put it.
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

If you know that God exists, why do you not worship Him?

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

If you know that God exists, why do you not worship Him?

Several reasons, for example there is religions that believe in a god, but think he is evil. There is also certain sects that believe in a god, but one that is just an uncaring clock man to the universe, who does not care about worship. Why would all gods be as insane in wanting worship as yours?
Showing 1-15 of 16