ForumsThe TavernSax Help?

11 2200
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I've recently started playing the alto saxophone. I have a beginner's book with a fingering chart but I'm (trying) to teach myself and I could use some pointers I'm also having some issues, like I cant get the fingering for the middle D and it's hard to get the low G. Help please?

• 11 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

not a sax player BUT... if you have finger problems the best thing to do is to train them. simple actions like typing or even just stretch them will help you get more reach with them. and doing complicated shapes or things like moving a pencil between your fingers in one hand will give you more flexibility (though im not sure if you need that for sax). also, have you tried watching videos? my guess is there are plenty of training and teaching videos about many different instruments.

i play the piano and the result of my "finger training" is pretty freaky XP

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

Hmm.. yeah "training" does sound like a good idea. It does sound like it works pretty well on the piano XD And yes, I've watched a handful of videos but unfortunately they aren't very helpful :/ I guess I'll just have to keep looking!

Volltagge
Volltagge
26 posts
Nomad

Not a sax player either, but I agree with thebluerabbit.
Started drawing a few years ago and at the beggining i couldn't draw a straight line for days, but with constant practise i got better and better. Soo experience is the s**t :d

ethan3300
ethan3300
100 posts
Shepherd

I read that wrong

divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

If you can't play the low G you should try to adjust your mouth position. If that doesn't work, you should blow a calm steady stream of air. Hope I helped!

jt25rox
jt25rox
332 posts
Peasant

i use to play but the was in like 4th grade it takes time invest in some lessons they will help and u can find them cheap. i use to know how to play the scooby doo theme song that was epic

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

i would take private lesons & take it to a music store if your really having trouble with the notes

ps sweet armatar!

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I read this title reaaally wrong. Oh god.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

lol bluydee were we thinking the same thing? anyway, im not a saxaphone player, i play trumbone. the one best thing to train your fingers is to move them. alot. in ways you never knew existed. thats how.

gammby5874
gammby5874
37 posts
Nomad

Music Education major - just keep working on basics. Technique comes in time, just progress through that book and practice scales and you'll see improvement overtime. Just don't give up.

youtube.com/zauceindustries

idigit
idigit
255 posts
Nomad

okay i am a 4 year alto player. usually when you cant play the low g, its something with the instrument. and if it isnt the instrument, drop your jaw SLIGHTLY in small increments till it comes out right. with D, do the opposite. I would still get it checked for leaks and bad pads at a music store, but try to invest in a good Selmer, thats what i use. even a used selmer. make sure its in good condition and you should have no problems for it. Saxophone is one of the most expensive wind instruments. $1000 used is a lot but its better than $2000-$3000 new.
fingering the D should be no problem unless you have TINY hands. its a fairly easy note so i am confused on your issue with it. you maybe trying to push the wrong keys. they are made for any normal-small hand size.

Showing 1-11 of 11