ForumsWEPRMedia Bias

27 10242
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

Have you noticed that a lot of news networks are quite bias against conservatives and Christians? Maybe the news wil take it lightly if there was a bobming by those evil islamic terrorists at some church, but they take it more seriosly if another relgion was attacked. The bias owner of BBC news even admitted that the news took attacks on Christians very lightly compared with other religions! Are you outraged?! I am very mad about the media bias. And news companies like pbs news even say that they listen to both sides, have debates evenly, but they are acrually politically bias towards the right wing! This outrageous behavior must stop.

• 27 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Have you noticed that a lot of news networks are quite bias against conservatives and Christians?

Oh the poor persecuted majority.

No, I haven't. Give an example?

The bias owner of BBC news even admitted that the news took attacks on Christians very lightly compared with other religions!

Source please.

And news companies like pbs news even say that they listen to both sides, have debates evenly, but they are acrually politically bias towards the right wing!

Ever consider that, objectively, not restricting people's freedom and choice is the most logical conclusion?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Have you noticed that a lot of news networks are quite bias against conservatives and Christians?

Yeah! I was listening to my coworker's radio for a little bit, and it is absurd! There was this one station where they did a parody of this...Fire station I think it was? They did a bunch of stupid things and called themselves conservatives, like insulting everything president Obama (or "Kardasian" as they call him&quot says or does. One time, they even made fun of him for golfing. It was hilarious.

Maybe the news wil take it lightly if there was a bobming by those evil islamic terrorists at some church, but they take it more seriosly if another relgion was attacked.

I really don't think that is the case. If anything, a Christian bombing a mosque would get less coverage then a Muslim bombing a church. Have you ever heard of The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord, Defensive Action, The Freemen Community, the Hutaree? No? Have you heard of the Al quida, the Hamas, the other Islamic terrorist groups? Probably.

The bias owner of BBC news even admitted that the news took attacks on Christians very lightly compared with other religions!

I could have sworn that the BBC was a corporation, and thus had hundreds of "Owners".... Did you mean CEO? The person who runs it? Who?

Are you outraged?!

Not really.

I am very mad about the media bia

Poor, poor, Christian rightwing minority. I know you must feel very abused, being a minority and all. Remember back when the Christians where not aloud on the bus? Err....Remember back when the Christians where not aloud to be in office? Errr....Remember when that one guy said he didn't like Christians! How horrible you must feel.

And news companies like pbs news even say that they listen to both sides, have debates evenly, but they are acrually politically bias towards the right wing! This outrageous behavior must stop.

I know! I was listening to this one that claimed to be "Fair and balanced"...
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

We don't read the same medias then. I see a lot about terrorist attacks, bombing, the Syrian conflict and all that. When somewhere in an oriental country a church of christians/kopts gets attacked, there are articles about it. I really don't have the impression that christianity gets bashed or taken at a disadvantage in the medias any more than other religions/groups/whatsoever.

If you experience a lack of informations about terrorist attacks and the like, I imagine it may have to do with quotes, as everything in the medias. People might be sick to hear of that constantly, however it may be much more sensationalist when the contrary happens. I don't think there's an intentional bias behind it, it's just quotes, and the medias are biased against many things due to that.
So, as I said already in another thread: Get over it and stop whining around.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Sure, and you watch Fox News right? That stuff, one of the biggest US media networks is totally pro-Obama!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

People like and tend to read whatever news outlets they want; Conservatives will swing to Fox News, and Liberals will swing to NYT, BBC, and whatever they read. Is there a bias? Yes. Is it perpetuated solely by journalists? No. People help the bias move along and grow themselves.

As for saying that they're not polar opposites, that may be so in the past, but America is increasingly becoming more viciously bi-partisan, whether the issue actually divides them or not. People tend to either support or not support abortion. Euthanasia. Gay marriages. There's a clear cut difference, and it shows that they are antipodal for some issues. Hence, to say that they aren't for some issues is rather foolish. On the other hand, it is true that this opposition is fueled by blind hate for the other parties candidates, hence people are more easily convinced. So no, I disagree with you in that they aren't polar opposites; they are polar opposites in some issues, but the general friction has also been perpetuated by people themselves.
And no, I don't like your accusations of be as an ignorant militant atheist, since I do defend religion from time to time even in this Forum. I was brought up a Buddhist, and still adhere to it as a philosophy, with much reverence for the Buddha and such spirits. I just don't take them as Gods. As much as I read Hitchens and Dawkins, I do read the books I bring back from the Buddhist temple I go to.
And no, I'm not a thickheaded partisan; I did support both Obama and McCain in 2008, with a tendency towards Obama's campaign, but appreciating McCain's more moderate tone vis a vis other Republicans. So yes, I do take umbrage when I'm being called ''militant'' or ''ignorant'' or what not, since I do keep an open mind.

you haven't actually seen American media

I think I do keep a tab on American issues more than many Americans; an Iphone, apps and subscriptions are good for that daily.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I do find mainstream media to be bias. They do slant one way or the other. Though I have to disagree with much of how the OP put it, most of those points have already been covered. Christianity is hardly being oppressed. Really the biases that do occur aren't slanted just to Christianity. To make it a religious thing I think is rather asinine.

You guys are idiots. You're so freaking blinded by your love for your conception of yourselves as freethinkers that you refuse to actually think about anything. It shocks me how smugly you dismiss all other world views as assaults on critical thinking when your inability to analyze your own positions is your greatest weakness. If you haven't noticed a liberal bias in American media, it isn't because none exists. It's because you are so in love with your own opinions, so radically close-minded, that you are incapable of believing it could ever have flaws. A lot of American media has a liberal bias, and that is bad.

Nicho, you've always struck me as the only one of the idiot disgusting ignorant insane stupid subhuman militant atheists on this forum with a snowball's chance in hell of pulling his head out of his *** and actually engaging in critical thinking instead of the mock dogmatic version to which the majority of the AG atheists ascribe, so lemme drop some wisdom on you: the world isn't us vs. them. The world isn't about liberals versus conservatives, or Christians vs. atheists. They are not polar opposites, and neither side is pure good.

Come on now don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel?
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Biased. It's biased. "I do find mainstream media outlets to be biased."

Tell us how you really feel?
That's not a question. And Nicho, I wasn't saying you didn't keep up with American media. I was just saying that failing to observe a liberal bias could only be the result of either a lack of experience with the subject matter, or a complete failure to recognize and identify bias.

And Mage, if you can't be bothered to reply to my post, here's my tldr: I'm better than you :3
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Now you may be thinking "my mind isn't clouded" but some of you just said you didn't see a liberal bias in American media.

Dude, think before ranting. The OP didn't explicitely mention American media. Sure this is a mostly American forum and macfan is American for all I know, but that doesn't hinder me from stating that I don't see a bias in the media I read, as macfan blatantly accused THE media to be biased in the way he experienced. I don't read American medias and I never said I did.

What I think would be more interesting to discuss would be the actual impact of such a bias and how to go with it. Because the media is biased in many ways due to how it works and everyone with a spark of intellect knows that. What does it provoke, and how do we counter that? I don't see a way to change the bias; we have to live with it. But what we ought to do is sensibilise and promote media reading competence among the population, like say, read different medias, stay critical and so on. Easier said than done of course...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Well, to be fair to Xzeno, yes there is a liberal bias. But there is also a conservative bias, though that is relatively less.

Then again, doesn't make any of the sides less culpable.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Others have already covered this Xzeno, but I wish to as well.

You're so freaking blinded by your love for your conception of yourselves as freethinkers that you refuse to actually think about anything.

You have no basis to make this claim and, in my case, it is untrue. I can't say what others do, but I consider what is being said, think about cases where it is and is not true, and then give my conclusion.

It shocks me how smugly you dismiss all other world views as assaults on critical thinking when your inability to analyze your own positions is your greatest weakness.

Hypocritical statement much?

If you haven't noticed a liberal bias in American media, it isn't because none exists. It's because you are so in love with your own opinions, so radically close-minded, that you are incapable of believing it could ever have flaws. A lot of American media has a liberal bias, and that is bad.

Yes, there is bias. But there's also bias for conservatives. It depends on the news source. How are you going to determine is there's "more" bias? By how biased it is? By how many news sources provide what kind of bias? A conglomeration of the two? Please, tell me. I came to the conclusion that since there's bias on both sides, and that the degree of bias varies from article to article, incidence to incident, news source to source, there is no accurate way of saying if there's "more" bias than anything else and that since there is bias for both they effectively cancel.

only one of the idiot disgusting ignorant insane stupid subhuman militant atheists on this forum

Ad hominem much?

lemme drop some wisdom on you: the world isn't us vs. them. The world isn't about liberals versus conservatives, or Christians vs. atheists. They are not polar opposites, and neither side is pure good.

Find one instance where someone says "it's us vs the world" and I'll give you a cookie.
hawkeyes1234
hawkeyes1234
6 posts
Peasant

ever notice that the media never talks about ron paul yet on the internet which is uncontrolled he is the most popular person? just like how gas prices fall every winter.

ethan3300
ethan3300
100 posts
Shepherd

Why isn't there an independent bias ?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Why isn't there an independent bias ?

Independents are too small a group to matter much in America's bi-partisan world.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Independents are too small a group to matter much in America's bi-partisan world.

In the US it's around 40% of voters.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

In the US it's around 40% of voters.

Independent meaning one that is independent of both parties, i.e those of third party stances, such as the Whigs, since clearly in Ethan's point an independent is one who is not of the two main parties. Otherwise, there would be no ''independent'' bias since that would mean the middle ground.

However many of these independents you named in the source ended up still voting for both parties. Independents in your source are those who will vote for either side, but need swaying to do so.
Showing 1-15 of 27