100 posts
Shepherd

Please debate here.

• 213 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

How much you pay in taxes should be directly proportional to how much money you make/have, This is the most equal way to tax a population.

p.s. anyone here heard the bible story where the rich are putting in bags of money and this poor widow puts in two (insert ancient equivalent of penny) and Jesus says she gave more because the rich donated from excess and the widow donated her own livelihood.

Honestly, to me, those two paragraphs are contradicting each other. The first says you should pay only depending on your income, irrespective of others; the second however kinda shows how unfair this is for the poor.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I fail to see the contradiction, what I basically meant with that was that for a rich person to give the same amount (figuratively), they have to pay more. Would you please explain the contradiction.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

You said it yourself in your little story.. the woman paid more than the rich people, because the rich are still left with enough money while the woman may need the tax money more. They're not contributing equally, even though the rich are paying more in absolute terms. An equal tax is only possible by contributing equally, which is not possible with a tax strictly proportional to income.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

what jacen wants ro say is that not every1 should pay a fixed amount of lets say, a 100 dollar. someone who has a 1000 dollar. this will be a 10% tax. while some1 who already has more. 10.000 dollar for example. it will be only 1% tax for him.

to have it equal the rich guy should also pay 10% so a 1000 dollar instead of 100 dollar.

my own opinion is that the rich are able to pay more then just that.
seeing the poor has only 900 lest and the rich still 9000.
the rich could pay like 50% he will still keep 5000 wich is enough to live from.
and the poor guy could pay a little less. like 5% and he will be able to keep 950 of his 1000 dollar.

so i prefer is the tax boxes system.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I know what Jacen is saying. He was pretty clear about it. Except that I don't see why he mentioned that story.

I hope you meant that 5% vs. 50% system figuratively. Nobody would ever accept such a thing in reality. But it would already help a lot if the richest 10% would pay a few percent higher taxes. Maybe a tax box system could gain more popularity if there are enough categories and only minor differences.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I hope you meant that 5% vs. 50% system figuratively

ofcourse it was just to make it easy.
i could say 22.6% and bigger amount then the 1000 and 10.000 (10.000 you aint the rich man in rl. =) )

Maybe a tax box system could gain more popularity if there are enough categories and only minor differences.

only need like 4 maybe 5 boxes.

1-the people who have nearly any income at all. (let's say 0-6000 per year)
2-poor people that got a house, tv, computer, etc. (let's say 6001-15.000 per year)
3-people that have no real financial problems. (let's say 15.001-35.000 per year)
4-rich people that wont even notice if 1000 dollar is stolen from them) (let's say 35.001-1million per year.)
5-these guys wont even notice if 100.000 gets stolen from them (let's say a income of more then 1 million per year)

ofcourse the normal tax box system will be used. i guess thats just the most logical way.
and % well range them from 10% to (my opinion --&gt 60% or something.

only minor differences.

why is that?
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

[quote]only minor differences.

why is that?[/quote]
That was meant purely politically, for an easier acceptance of the system. Bigger differences could help society more of course, but might raise more discontentment.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

but then it wont work and people will say that the old system was better. and they might go back to crap.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Obama's late arrival at meetings as an excuse/argument is really pathetic, but then again, so is pretty much everyone that supports Romney.

Right, because Obama never did anything like THAT before/sarcasm
Obama, how about we use the fact that Romney is a hypocrite (Hires illegals), can't connect to the people (Repeatedly and insensitively flaunts his wealth), forgetful (Can't even remember his own first name)?

Really? He is forgetful, but Obama doesnt even know how many states their are. Or how about the fact that he thinks hawaii is part of asia? It cuts both ways.
And now, for the most recent pages....
How much you pay in taxes should be directly proportional to how much money you make/have, This is the most equal way to tax a population.

And from Thomas Jefferson and the crew
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal.
Taxing certain groups more than others based on money is not great, Obama says that he supports jobs, but supporting this taxing means he isnt truly supporting jobs. Obama is making a good amount of the poor lazy. They are getting the rich and middle classes money for doing nothing. They figure that they dont have to go get a job because Obama is already giving them money for being poor.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Or how about the fact that he thinks hawaii is part of asia? It cuts both ways.

Hawaii is neither part of the American or Asian continents. Jesus, it's part of Oceania, all parties are wrong here.

And from Thomas Jefferson and the crew
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal.
Taxing certain groups more than others based on money is not great, Obama says that he supports jobs, but supporting this taxing means he isnt truly supporting jobs. Obama is making a good amount of the poor lazy. They are getting the rich and middle classes money for doing nothing. They figure that they dont have to go get a job because Obama is already giving them money for being poor.

He supports taxes on the rich. That doesn't translate to not supporting the creation of jobs. Taxing the rich is aimed at balancing the huge budget deficit that Bush has left, and the deficit that Romney wants to preserve with the huge increases if the Medicare system is dismantled.

Obama is making a good amount of the poor lazy.

Frankly this is insulting. The poor are rioting because they have no jobs. Most people don't want to remain indebted to handouts, mostly because they have lost their former quality of life back when they had a job. It is really quite awful and moronic of you to claim that the poor don't want work when America is gripped with huge unrest due to the 8% unemployment rate. Only the people who are decently comfortable with the status quo can even think about snobbishly looking down on the lower classes as people who refuse to work.

They are getting the rich and middle classes money for doing nothing.
]

Obama supports reducing taxes on the middle class. So really, be clear about your political stances and facts. In fact, Obama just supported the extension of tax cuts for middle class families earning less than $250,000 in July.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Frankly this is insulting. The poor are rioting because they have no jobs. Most people don't want to remain indebted to handouts, mostly because they have lost their former quality of life back when they had a job. It is really quite awful and moronic of you to claim that the poor don't want work when America is gripped with huge unrest due to the 8% unemployment rate. Only the people who are decently comfortable with the status quo can even think about snobbishly looking down on the lower classes as people who refuse to work.

yep, they have jobs, you know how much money you can make by begging, lots. (/sarcasm) Some people who are beggers actually have no job, but for some it is their job. And some people live off of food stamps and unemployment as well. These people are the problem, but there isn't really an effective way to deal with them.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Hawaii is neither part of the American or Asian continents. Jesus, it's part of Oceania, all parties are wrong here.

....your joking right? It's one of the 50 (not 57) states of America.
Frankly this is insulting. The poor are rioting because they have no jobs

I have seen the riots and the interviews and frankly i find it stupid. I have no problem with them expressing their opinion, but if you really want a job then go and get one. Most of them are stupid kids who can get a job so they just want one given to them.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Sorry I ment,
"can't get a job"
For the last sentence. Not
"can get a job"

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

....your joking right? It's one of the 50 (not 57) states of America.

No I am not. It's geographically NOT part of Asia or America. It is part of the USA but when we talk about it, it's not wrong to say it isn't part of the American continent. It's just like saying Russia is part of Asia because in truth, 3/4 of it is in Asia.

yep, they have jobs, you know how much money you can make by begging, lots. (/sarcasm) Some people who are beggers actually have no job, but for some it is their job. And some people live off of food stamps and unemployment as well. These people are the problem, but there isn't really an effective way to deal with them.

Tiny minority. Judging from the fact that most people had jobs beforehand, yes they do want work.

I have seen the riots and the interviews and frankly i find it stupid. I have no problem with them expressing their opinion, but if you really want a job then go and get one. Most of them are stupid kids who can get a job so they just want one given to them.

It's people like you who are so sanctimonious and narrowminded to see that people riot because they have no choice. The Occupy Wall Street Movement might have been hijacked but it did start out as a job protest. They can't just go out and "get a job" like magic, as if it's a wondrous panacea. You don't know why misery is, and to bluntly put, it's most likely because you're comfortable with your current life such that you're insulated in a little microcosm that makes you insensitive to the less fortunate. Half my relatives have been out of work for quite some time, and it's not something to be waved off. America doesn't create enough jobs for it's people, that's one of the bottom-lines.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Back in march, there was 3.5 MILLION open jobs, and are they still there now, probably.

Showing 91-105 of 213