9 5971
VODALAZZ
VODALAZZ
4 posts
Nomad

Hi guys
I currently have created a nice concept for a flash MMO TD Pvp game

it's all just idea

The reason why i am writing here is that i wan't to figure out what is neÑessary to create a good mmo flash game. I am not a programmer so i do not understend the process in details and can't evaluate the process of doing that

I think that i am going to hire someone for this job, than we are going to create a game and launch it

i will be very glad if you help me with some ideas and details

Thank you
my skype is alonso221221 you can add me if you are interested

• 9 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I currently have created a nice concept for a flash MMO TD Pvp game

MMOs with PVP functions are extremely costly and are difficult to set up. You'll need to set up your own server and pay a web hoster to run it, as well as paying multiple programmers to design the actual game. You'll need mechanical programmers, grahpic designers, server programmers, marketers, and some extra help here or there doesn't hurt. MMOs are not like most of AG's flash games; they are much harder to run and set up.

I know how to do a little bit of everything I described, so I guess I can give you a rough estimate of the time it takes to build this as well as the cost it'll take up.

5000 dollars a year to run the server.
2000 each month for staff.
A year to build the game; maybe longer if you want to include goodies like highscores, leveling stats, custom outfits, stuff like that.

I'd also recommend a year or two of studying game building for background information.
jasonjie88
jasonjie88
28 posts
Nomad

I know how to do a little bit of everything I described, so I guess I can give you a rough estimate of the time it takes to build this as well as the cost it'll take up.

5000 dollars a year to run the server.
2000 each month for staff.
A year to build the game; maybe longer if you want to include goodies like highscores, leveling stats, custom outfits, stuff like that.

Are you kidding me?!
Yes, to have an exceptionally awesome server you have to pay money. PlayerIO, however, is free, and assuming the game does not become a world-wide sensation overnight like some World of Warcraft sequel (doubt it), then really the PlayerIO server should suit someone's standards perfectly. Salvidian, where on earth do you get your server? I pity you. Unless you use the SmartFox Server. I know that's a pretty good server too. Worth paying money for.
$2000 a month for staff? Depends on who you hire. If you hire someone who cannot work full-time on the project, they may ask for less. Shorten your budget. Also, if he/she's going to hire an entire team of full-time programmers, the game would take a lot less than a MONTH. But then that's if you're as rich as Blizzard when they started making WoW.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Are you kidding me?!
Yes, to have an exceptionally awesome server you have to pay money. PlayerIO, however, is free, and assuming the game does not become a world-wide sensation overnight like some World of Warcraft sequel (doubt it), then really the PlayerIO server should suit someone's standards perfectly. Salvidian, where on earth do you get your server? I pity you. Unless you use the SmartFox Server. I know that's a pretty good server too. Worth paying money for.

I've never built my own server but I've helped someone do it. I know that if you want to get a server that'll be up to AG's expectations, you'll need a good one. I think I read somewhere that Colony's server takes 1000 dollars every 3-4 months, but it depends on how heavily it's used. That's not even an MMO; it's just basic multiplayer.

$2000 a month for staff? Depends on who you hire. If you hire someone who cannot work full-time on the project, they may ask for less. Shorten your budget. Also, if he/she's going to hire an entire team of full-time programmers, the game would take a lot less than a MONTH. But then that's if you're as rich as Blizzard when they started making WoW.

This guy wants an MMO, so he'll need it to be fairly detailed. He's gonna want to use full-time, highly trained proffesionals to help him out. Remember, this isn't some Indie Minecraft server; it's an AG MMO. If he could get friends who are good at this to help him, it's make everything a lot cheaper. I know very few people who actually come together to make games without hiring some help. John has his own team of developers, and all he does is make little flash games.
VODALAZZ
VODALAZZ
4 posts
Nomad

Sounds more expensive than i expected

well if you have some more ideas about the process i will be glad to hear it

crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

Another potential problem is how to make a TD PvP. If it's a tower defence, how can two or more players do that? While you're thinking about that...

Although it's (sort of) fun to play a TD, most people wouldn't want to have someone else screw around with their setup.

I'm neither a programmer nor am I experienced, but I am a gamer, so that makes me a critique. (I assume)

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Another potential problem is how to make a TD PvP. If it's a tower defence, how can two or more players do that? While you're thinking about that...

I've seen MMOs accomplish this before. You have 4 areas, each area to a player. The area has a road that you can build towers alongside of, and an end. The road has two lanes; going and coming. You can spend money on either deploying enemies or building towers, and you can choose which towers you want your enemies to attack (or randomize it; I don't care). Your enemies will come out of your end of the road, and the other player's enemies will have their enemies go into your end.

Although it's (sort of) fun to play a TD, most people wouldn't want to have someone else screw around with their setup.

Unneeded. ^.^

I'm neither a programmer nor am I experienced, but I am a gamer, so that makes me a critique. (I assume)

Which is a role any developer needs to have to help them. They need someone who isn't aware of the mechanics of the game, so they won't limit their ideas to what they think is possible.

Sounds more expensive than i expected

That's the most popular response.

well if you have some more ideas about the process i will be glad to hear it

Well, I gave you the general idea. The rest are all specifics, so if you have any further questions be sure to ask.
VODALAZZ
VODALAZZ
4 posts
Nomad

yup

where i can find some place to hire or to just get aqueinted with good programmers?

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

where i can find some place to hire or to just get aqueinted with good programmers?

I would say the programming section, but it's fairly inactive. I've heard that Kongregate has a much larger programming community.

That being said though, I'm not sure of the skills for either of them. You could look for a good game on AG, go to the creator's profile, and try to contact one of them. They probably know a good deal more.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Ironically flash game sites have been bad for me as far as getting information and meeting programmers goes. You could ask Joey Betz some stuff, but he's usually busy. He created the CTC series, which is extremely popular on AG. If I had to give you the best place possible, I'd say craigslist for locals. You can meet them, get to know them, etc.
Showing 1-9 of 9