ForumsWEPRwhats the difference?

183 43812
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

so,just about everybody has ruled out the possiblity of their being spcific Gods for a element.Such as the greek Gods,what is the difference however between believing in "mythology" and say for instance a Christan religion.Why is it more beliveable?Does anybody have a answer to why it is more believed that their is one God and not many? Why do people who believe in a God not realize that they are believing in the same thing that they also call rubbish?

• 183 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

In the end science and ignorance will be the end of man because in truth all religions are more or less the same some say they are all crap but whos to say they are not all good see the thing about religion is that it follows basic laws of karma if you are a good person you will be rewarded justly and if you are bad you are punished this was the basic principle of religion but science has cast it aside by saying there is no afterlife and ignorance has spawned war between people who think that the creed of there own religion no longer applies to them

yet atheists are usually those who are the most accepting of other people. if anything, the pain in this world caused by theists is much greater then the one caused by atheists. and the bible isnt based on karma, it is based on fear. you dont do bad things (and a whole lot of things nobody would care about) because of the fear from god. if anything, the bible tells you what is bad and good without explaining, expecting you to mindelsly follow (and it succeeded) while the basics of science tell you to explore and think for yourself.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Derp
\\

thanks for wasting a spot for a person who acually wishes to say somthing importnat.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

I wouldnt tell someone to go to a church or try to recruit them to a religion but i would tell someone to believe in something, i mean what the heck are you supposed to look forward to after you die?

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

and I forgot to mention Jacen is technically correct, all things are made of atoms living and non-living alike, expiriments have shown evidence of certain atoms and compounds (present in soil of earth at estimated time of first microbial life)combined with a heat source and H2O (that's water jacen) created amino acids the building blocks of proteins, needed for the start of microbial life wich eventually evolved into man

(sorry for double post)

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

i mean what the heck are you supposed to look forward to after you die?

Why do you automatically assume there should be something?
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

why assume nothing?

if there does happen to be a heaven I'd like to be in it

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

if there does happen to be a heaven I'd like to be in it

'Believing' in order to enter heaven likely won't get you anywhere.

[quote]Why do you automatically assume there should be something?

why assume nothing?[/quote]
Because nothing's the logic conclusion. Your turn to give a reason to assume something.

i mean what the heck are you supposed to look forward to after you die?

Eternal rest/peace in nonexistence.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

why assume nothing?

To assume something doesn't happen or is nonexistent is the default position to things. This position is what needs to be shown to be wrong. "The null hypothesis typically corresponds to a general or default position. For example, the null hypothesis might be that there is no relationship between two measured phenomena or that a potential treatment has no effect." In this case the claim that there is a life after death, the default null hypothesis would be there is no life after death. This position would then have to be refuted with evidence. So far as I know no evidence has been presented in support of this claim. But this claim has more than just this hurdle. For this claim to be true it requires something to live on in the first place, 'a soul'. This too has failed demonstration of existence. Worse yet the defining of such a thing has been inconsistent and vague. Which would be constant with a fictional invention.

So I ask again, why do you automatically assume there is something?
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

you say there is no evidence of a soul that you know of but new scientific evidence is there to support that it does exist i believe in a soul through the brain that can be explained through the idea of quantum mechanics

i've found a few articles to help explain this in deeper concept

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/biocentrism/201112/does-the-soul-exist-evidence-says-yes

http://www.humantruth.info/quantum_soul.html

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

you say there is no evidence of a soul that you know of but new scientific evidence is there to support that it does exist i believe in a soul through the brain that can be explained through the idea of quantum mechanics

That proves you have no clue what quantum mechanics is, not that soals exist.

The first link is from the creator of Biocentrism, if I got his name right, which is basically what Froid is to psychology. It sounds like science, but nobody who actually does the job actually believes it.

I am pretty sure the second guy admits he is doing psudo science...

"It is an example of &quotseudo-science", where scientific terms are used without genuine understanding of their meaning, but in a way that makes out-there theories look reasonable at first glance"

Soooooo...No. It can not be explained by science, it most likely does not exist, and you have no clue what you are talking about.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Well, whether you live in a rural piously fundamental community or in a city with all sorts of scientifical treats like medicaments and stuff, it doesn't really matter as long as you are happy.

You know, what you are forgetting is that even atheists have an understanding of what is good and what is bad, and their understanding is not inferior to the religious one.

Because they are i minority.
If have had it been the other way,
You would have no morals.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

actually i do believe i know what I'm talking about

part of the quantum theory is that something can exist at two places at once if not being viewed by a consience body and many believe this could work with the brain making neural signals possible to be both inside and outside of the brain, why would it not be posible then for a consience body itself to exist outside of a physical body

and by the way who are you to say that someone doesn't believe in the research they have put their time into

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

part of the quantum theory is that something can exist at two places at once if not being viewed by a consience body and many believe this could work with the brain making neural signals possible to be both inside and outside of the brain, why would it not be posible then for a consience body itself to exist outside of a physical body

With the exception to things like black holes the laws of quantum physics break down above the subatomic level. So you're not going to have a human brain in a superposition. Even if it were in a superposition it would require two brains that were some how linked behaving as a single brain at the subatomic level. It wouldn't be a brain and a disembodied consciousness.

Quantum mechanics is often ripe with woo due to it being not understood very well and often misunderstood by most people.

Quantum consciousness
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Because they are i minority.
If have had it been the other way,
You would have no morals.

Umm, how are morals bound to minority or majority? We humans have morals from society and empathy. Whether you keep to your own morals, or let an old corrupt institute of self-announced prophets tell you the morals to follow, doesn't change much.

@halogunner, please explain me how a soul can exist when clearly our conscience is defined by our brain? A soul should be able to sustain itself even after the brain and body are dead and rotten, in order for an afterlife to exist. But prominent cases like Phineas Gage have shown that damage to certain areas of the brain will alter a person. Not dramatically, but even the smallest change is enough to question the existence of a soul. There are also several studies that found areas in the brain that trigger belief in a higher force, the temporal lobe is also prominent in belief of supernatural things.
halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

I'm not speaking of the brain itself but the contents within i.e(memories,knowledge,thoughts)are all information that is stored in the brain, it is not the brain that would leave the body but the information, unfortunately there is no device that could measure such an event to prove any of us right or wrong.

Showing 31-45 of 183