ForumsWEPRNot One Minute

51 17524
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Many of us all have some knowledge about the Munich Olympic Massacre which occurred in 1972, 40 years ago. In this tragedy against peace and sportsmanship, Palestinian terrorists entered the Olympic Village and killed 11 members of the Israeli Olympic Team. 40 years later, the survivors of this injustice and the relatives of the victims are only asking for one minute of silence to remember the athletes who where killed. However the IOC have turned them down time after time after time claiming it would make the Games, "too political." However, as Representative Nita Lowey of New York states, "For those of the IOC who say that this (moment of silence) is political, I would say just the opposite: If this were any nation other than Israel, there would have been a moment of silence long ago." And I believe this to be the unfortunate case, because, in the aftermath of the killings in 1972, the Arab nations refused to have any hand in the mourning of the athletes, showing that they supported these murders.

Do you think that the Munich 11 (as they are so immortalized) deserve one minute of silence? Or do you think the IOC is correct in attempting to allow the massacres to fade from memory?

• 51 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

The Palestino-Israeli conflict has always been a hot potato to anyone else. I think this is one of the main reasons... after all, the IOC has to remain impartial, and there are several Arab nations taking part who wouldn't agree to showing respect to the victims. The massacre of course goes against Olympic values and so it is only fair that the IOC made the two memorials in Munich.

Now one minute of silence doesn't seem much, and remembering massacred victims is only fair too, but I guess it's the mere fact of honoring Israelis that would infuriate some countries. They're part of the Olympic community too and thus their opinion must be respected, right or not. This you must understand.

The only thing I find ridiculous is that during the memorial service after the massacre, the Arab nations could enforce that their flag weren't lowered in honor to the victims. Whether you like the country or not, you should still show tribute to the athletes..

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Whether you like the country or not, you should still show tribute to the athletes..

Which is why it is ridiculous that a few Arab nations could force the IOC to not even recognize the massacre.

The massacre of course goes against Olympic values and so it is only fair that the IOC made the two memorials in Munich.

If you're talking about the services, those were hardly publicized at all. To claim that that counts as memorializing the victims in the &quotroper" way as the IOC has done is complete bull.

They're part of the Olympic community too and thus their opinion must be respected, right or not. This you must understand.

The thing that I take issue with is that had this been a massacre against, say, the English team, then there would be a memorial year after year after year. Only because it is Israel, that is why we cannot have a memorial at the Opening Ceremony.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Which is why it is ridiculous that a few Arab nations could force the IOC to not even recognize the massacre.

They allowed the Arab nations to not honor the victims, but as far as I've read your link, the IOC definitely recognized the massacre. Not as one may deem respectable (I'm talking about the service here), but they did.

If you're talking about the services, those were hardly publicized at all. To claim that that counts as memorializing the victims in the &quotroper" way as the IOC has done is complete bull.

No, I'm talking about these:

"There is, however, a memorial outside the Olympic stadium in Munich in the form of a stone tablet at the bridge linking the stadium to the former Olympic village. There is also a memorial tablet to the slain Israelis outside the front door of their former lodging at 31 ConnollystraÃe. On 15 October 1999 (almost a year before the Sydney 2000 Games), a memorial plaque was unveiled in one of the large light towers (Tower 14) outside the Sydney Olympic Stadium."
(last paragraph of this section)

The thing that I take issue with is that had this been a massacre against, say, the English team, then there would be a memorial year after year after year. Only because it is Israel, that is why we cannot have a memorial at the Opening Ceremony.

I sincerely doubt they'd make a memorial year after year after year for any country, really. This is a baseless accusation unless proven otherwise. Do you know of any other massacre of Olympic athletes?
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

here it is another massacre

Spyton
Spyton
63 posts
Nomad

People die in heroic or tragic situations all the time. If we were to start holding a minute of silence in every activity that anything like this happened. We would be forever in a "minute" of silence. I say instead of continously petitioning the olympics for this minute. The country who had this happen hold a minute of silence themselves before the games. And just invite every one to do it with them.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I say they should get the moment of silence. It was the deaths of innocent people doing what they love for the world. The world should give back. I dont care if you like the country or not, people are people no matter their nation.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

I agree with pickpocket. Part of the Olympics is putting aside the differences between nations. And like he said,

people are people no matter their nation.
DSM
DSM
1,303 posts
Nomad

Would that one minute bring them back? It something that happened 40 years ago, so I don't see exactly why they should.

I don't want to sound heartless, but what makes them so special. I mean there is millions that died, and I bet they wont even be remembered. No one cares about them, are they not humans?

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

We feel that the opening ceremony is an atmosphere that is not fit to remember such a tragic accident," IOC President Jacques Rogge said at a press conference last weekend, referring to what most others call a "massacre."

(they do not deny that it happend.)

As for the man representing Palestinian Olympic hopefuls, apparently a moment of silence to honor their memory is cause for "divisiveness" and "racism."

Rajoub, former head of security for the late Yasser Arafat and a senior member of the Palestinian Authority's Fatah faction, sent IOC President Jacque Rogge a thank you letter, Ynet reported.

"Sport is a bridge for love, unification and for spreading peace among the nations," Rajoub wrote. "It must not be a cause for divisiveness and for the spreading of racism."

i hope you guys see now why they don't do it?

source
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

i hope you guys see now why they don't do it?

I understand that they'd maybe want the celebration of the opening to be cheerful. But I'm not sure I understand the fear of racism. If everyone knows that the massacre was because of terrorists then why would anyone hold a grudge against the people of the country they came from? Then again, the same did happen a little in the U.S.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I understand that they'd maybe want the celebration of the opening to be cheerful. But I'm not sure I understand the fear of racism. If everyone knows that the massacre was because of terrorists then why would anyone hold a grudge against the people of the country they came from? Then again, the same did happen a little in the U.S.

one mans terrorist is another man's hero
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

one mans terrorist is another man's hero

What kind of hero shoots innocent people?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

If everyone knows that the massacre was because of terrorists

just as you can't deny the attack 40 year ago. you also can't deny that there are world leaders that will use a action like that for racist propaganda.
as punisher said, your enemy has friends aswell.
and the olympic games is not a stage that want to be involved whit political problems. neither it should be.
they are the worlds biggest sporting event that connects nations. and not favor any above another.

i very much understand that the IOC does not want to get involved whit it. beter forgive and forget then to remind everyone about it during a celebration.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Can somebody please explain to me why the IOC is listening to the words of an unrecognized state and not the words of a recognized state?

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Can somebody please explain to me why the IOC is listening to the words of an unrecognized state and not the words of a recognized state?

and what country wanted to? not 1, it were just a group of people.
and if some country wanted to then they could do it by themself on their own national tv station. 1 min befor the opening started.

also was it the IOC own decision. they pull the strings whit the UK durnig this event. not all the countrys.
Showing 1-15 of 51