ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Competition: Fire and Water (page 56)

565 233204
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Welcome to the Art Skills Competition.

As always, there are a few rules that needs to be followed for proper judging, viewing and general fairness.

Competition Rules
- All major parts of the entry must be original material, unless otherwise stated. Heavy references, sources and other visible influences should be credited as per normal forum courtesy.
- Submissions must follow the current theme to be judged, and must be drawn for that theme specifically. You cannot submit something you drew prior to the theme being announced
- Please do not post entries larger than 670 pixels in width. If your art is larger, post a thumbnail and link to the larger version.
- Artists cannot win in subsequent rounds, but are allowed to enter said rounds.
- Entries can be drawn in any medium available.

• 565 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Killersup was barely seven months old when Fantasia was released. let alone Firebird.

I just can't have proper respect for people, that have grown up in the information age, and apparently does not know how to google or use youtube, and then shrugging it off as if I am the problem.
I am very sorry, but I can't.

You had respect for Killersup before?

I respect everyone I know, it's a principle of mine. Do onto others, and all that jazz.
rrrdddyyywww
rrrdddyyywww
15 posts
Nomad

Sorry im new to all this.. how do you get your image up?

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

You need to join a photo hosting site like photobucket. Then you need to upload whatever picture you want, onto that site. After that, click on the image and copy the direct link. Once you have the direct link copied, come on here and click the image button above text box. Paste the direct link. That should do it, and I hope that helps.

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

I didn't have much time this week, so don't expect an excellent drawing (lol).

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q550/kegaumongo/Imprisonment_zpsa3482a7e.jpg

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Nobody else has volunteered as judge. This weeks contest is over. Unless somdbody steps up Killersup will do it again. Should be able to get it done alot faster though...

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Maybe ill actually submit something this time... depends on what topic you pic I guess.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Killersup... Hello? Anyone here? Need some help with the competition?

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Working on it now. Hold thi royal horses majesty.

MrStealth
MrStealth
151 posts
Peasant

what is this about

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Total unexpected super-busyness that took up a lot of time. That is a word, according to Google. Got to say, nothing really stood out as the clear winner this time. In fact, there is no winner. No one was able to stand out above the rest.

Cenere. Letâs be real here. This looks rushed compared to the normal work that you enter. It was impossible to make out the right hand even from three inches away from the screen, while the other arm did not match well with the forearm. The sketch marks on the window makes it look very unprofessional. Everything âinsideâ of the window looks a lot better. The bird looks alright, and it goes well with the blossoming flowers. Not quite sure of the reason for not coloring in the whole window. The man being left white was a smart move; it really emphasizes the bars that forever hold him to that wheelchair. Maybe next time Cenere.

Salvidian. Not really sure if this is allowed. Wasnât âdrawnâ, oh well. This kind of hurt the eyes to really look at. What is there really to judge? It did bring a short laugh but it is not a picture that you drew. Henceforth, you cannot make corrections to a picture that was taken and simply changed a little bit.

Kegaumongo. Nice and simple. It actually looks like he is somehow sitting on his right curved leg. The bars on the cage are not straight, nor consistent. The left arm and leg looked really well done, good job. It looks almost as if you did the background with graphite shavings, very creative. The actual making of the three dimensional cage was pretty well done.

Need some help with the competition?

Already said that, but to late now. See the top of page 40.

Killersup was barely seven months old when Fantasia was released. let alone Firebird.

I just can't have proper respect for people, that have grown up in the information age, and apparently does not know how to google or use youtube, and then shrugging it off as if I am the problem.
I am very sorry, but I can't.

If Killersup would have known that there was such a movie series he would have watched it. This weekend sounds great. Was not shrugging it off as if you were the problem, simply explaining.

This week's contest will be...AG's greatest. Take that anyway that you want. It shall be due Wednesday the 23rd, midnight Eastern time.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Okay I can't really hold it in any more. Killersup, I appreciate the effort that goes into keeping this running, and obviously don't expect it to be top end million-dollar-grant award standard, but I'm a little concerned.

The concern really began with the judging of the Disney round. In all fairness, being six months old when Fantasia was released is a good reason not to have watched it or remember it. But it's then the judge's responsibility not to jump to conclusions (an incorrect one at that) without at least attempting to verify that the image really wasn't relevant to the theme set, because while you could arguably pick at other technical issues (such as the blotching of water colour because the paper wasn't pre-treated, which, in the context of the submissions in general, really isn't that big a deal), the judge apparently disqualified the submission based on the incorrect conclusion, and when viewed in those terms, that's simply an error. And when you make an error like that, the only appropriate course of action is an unqualified apology (retrospectively changing the judgement is controversial and therefore optional, personally I wouldn't do it and would just wear the mistake because nobody's perfect even if a judge is supposed to be).

The concern deepened with the most recent judging. I don't have a problem with not declaring a winner, except to note that it's a bold thing to do as a judge. What I'm concerned about are the potential readings into your motivations for judging the way you did. I can't help but feel that there's a certain defensiveness betrayed by the extent to which you criticised the execution of Cenere's submission for that round (particularly as while the style appeared less clean in the scan, it didn't look like a rush job to me, but then again that's a matter of my own judgement and I'm not the judge.)

I'm aware that you focus on execution in general. I'm also aware that this community has a wide range of experience and skill in it so one of the biggest challenges is trying to maintain interest by somehow keeping the playing field level. I had real trouble with doing that and keeping people happy a few years ago when running this thing. But at this stage, it would be reasonable to ask you, as the judge, for a more detailed account of how you set your standards so we could clear the air a bit. You may also wish to reconsider your emphasis on execution as from experience I find that makes "fair judging" in this setting more difficult.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Salvidian. Not really sure if this is allowed. Wasnât âdrawnâ, oh well. This kind of hurt the eyes to really look at. What is there really to judge? It did bring a short laugh but it is not a picture that you drew. Henceforth, you cannot make corrections to a picture that was taken and simply changed a little bit.

I'm going to have to pull a Strop and nitpick a little.

Technically, the rules never specifically stated that submissions could only be drawings. They said, however, that drawings must be drawn for the contest, and that drawings need to follow the theme.

Also, keep in mind that this is an art competition. Creative photography is an art, and, frankly, can be considered a drawing, in some ways anyway. It wasn't something that was previous created. Photographs have composition that comprise the art in them, therefore wasn't something premade.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

It has appeared to Killersup that he has been taken wrongly with his wording. It is the internet, where such things are possible. Please keep in mind that these are only what would seem to make sense of that of one mind.

the judge apparently disqualified the submission based on the incorrect conclusion, and when viewed in those terms, that's simply an error.

Where did you get the idea that Killersup disqualified him? Killersup was easily able to pick up that it was about a Disney movie about a nature spirit, thus theme fitting. Either way, sorry Cenere.

You may also wish to reconsider your emphasis on execution as from experience I find that makes "fair judging" in this setting more difficult.

That is a reasonable request.

I can't help but feel that there's a certain defensiveness betrayed by the extent to which you criticised the execution of Cenere's submission for that round

Killersup has viewed some of Cenere's art under the radar, and just felt like Cenere had not given a full attempt. The reason for noting that is simply for the reason that it might strive Cenere to strive to make his next picture better.

Technically, the rules never specifically stated that submissions could only be drawings. They said, however, that drawings must be drawn for the contest, and that drawings need to follow the theme.

Also, keep in mind that this is an art competition. Creative photography is an art, and, frankly, can be considered a drawing, in some ways anyway. It wasn't something that was previous created. Photographs have composition that comprise the art in them, therefore wasn't something premade.

The way that the photo was edited created a extremely hard judging. The white/black job made it hard to look at, and behind it the photo was just a outline of a human holding a bed post of some sort. How should have Killersup judged that? Move three inches to the left and a quarter inch to the right? It just seems like a awkward judging.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Where did you get the idea that Killersup disqualified him? Killersup was easily able to pick up that it was about a Disney movie about a nature spirit, thus theme fitting. Either way, sorry Cenere.

He meant disqualified from winning. Not generally disqualified.

Killersup has viewed some of Cenere's art under the radar, and just felt like Cenere had not given a full attempt. The reason for noting that is simply for the reason that it might strive Cenere to strive to make his next picture better.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to judge the art alone and not the artist who made it? As a judge, you're expected to look at each submission and compare them, not the artist's skill. Frankly, when you judge you shouldn't consider the artist at all.

The way that the photo was edited created a extremely hard judging. The white/black job made it hard to look at, and behind it the photo was just a outline of a human holding a bed post of some sort. How should have Killersup judged that? Move three inches to the left and a quarter inch to the right? It just seems like a awkward judging.

1) It was supposed to look like a jail cell.
2) If it was hard to look at, say it was hard to look at and call it a judging.
3) If it isn't conventional, don't judge conventionally. Thinks outside the box. Maybe say, "the caption wasn't all that funny" or "it doesn't describe imprisonment."
4) You're judging how well it reflects the theme; not how well the piece was crafted artistically.

I'm just trying to get you to judge better, not trying to insult you.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

I got it we remove the judges and cast votes! Anyone can vote just give a time frame of it , wait tried that ended in failure, blames Strop kicks him in the shins and runs to poke his thread Forums need an update any who looks for the current theme...

Anyways I can judge for a few weeks but still that leave it up to you all, fear my crazeh

Showing 391-405 of 565