ForumsWEPRNYC and Chicago Shootings.

55 17922
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Well, we shared our thoughts on the "Batman" Shootings.

Chicago: lice say 13 people were shot and wounded in a 30-minute spate of violence in Chicago, including eight gunned down on a single street.

olice say a drive-by shooting on Chicago's South Side late Thursday wounded seven men and one woman ranging in age from 14 to 20 years. Two of the victims were taken to Comer Children's Hospital. Most are in stable condition. Police say the 19-year-old woman wounded was shot in the arm while walking to work.

Five people were wounded in three other shootings around the same time.

Police say 19 people were shot in Chicago on Thursday night and early Friday.

Source.

NYC: Shots fired by a man who had been fired from his job (a year ago) - killed two people, once being his 'ex'-boss. The numbers of injured people shot may include accidental shots from the police. (Says Mayor Bloomberg in his statement). By. The. Police.

Views? Thoughts? Gun law arguments? Thoughts for the people affected?

• 55 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

more easy to identify good from bad.

Are your police forces too stupid to tell the difference of someone with a gun going about his business and someone going on a rampage?

and the bad from the really bad.
when outlawed the small criminals wont have a gun.

Just like small time criminals don't have drugs like marijuana.

+ hunters and sporters don't use automatic gun.

Neither do criminals.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Are your police forces too stupid to tell the difference of someone with a gun going about his business and someone going on a rampage?

How do you know this someone with a gun going about his business isn't going to flip and go on a rampage?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

How do you know this someone with a gun going about his business isn't going to flip and go on a rampage?

Is it really that difficult to tell?
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Is it really that difficult to tell?

Sometimes. People can display a false persona, a picture of calmness with a pre-intended killing spree about to take place.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

what about a business man going to his job whit a gun in his pocket like always. and then something happens that cracks him and he go's on a unintended rampage.

AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

msot shootings are done with legally purchased weapons

Are you stupid? Please tell me you are, because if you aren't, you may need to check your local asylum for available rooms.

Most shootings are used with illegally purchased and possessed weapons. Why? Because most people that shoot other people don't start their careers by murdering somebody. More than 80%, in some places as high as 95% of people who commit murder are convicted felons. That means, by definition under nearly all state laws, any weapon that they purchase or possess is illegal, regardless of where or when they buy it. Not just a majority of crimes use illegal weapons, but the VAST majority.

Then why don't people possess bazookas and tanks?

They do. There aren't too many things in America that are banned for those with the cash to buy them.

when outlawed the small criminals wont have a gun.

You so sure about that? I've known classmates who've had guns. One doesn't need to go to a shady gun trafficker to get a gun.

Statistically speaker, it's impossible to tell if any random person is going to go on a rampage. It's also impossible to tell if they're going to speed that day, get into a car accident, and wind up as a smear on the pavement. It's impossible to say whether or not any random person goes to college, works at Wal-Mart, or has been to space.

Because when one person does something, that statistic is there and any random person could therefore do it, or have done it.

On the same coin, statistically speaking any random person is tens of thousands of times more likely to use his or her weapon in defense than go on a murderous rampage. Could they do it? Yes. Will they do it? Probably not.

and then something happens that cracks him and he go's on a unintended rampage.

Unintended? What? Never heard of somebody killing a dozen people unintentionally.

The chances of that businessman going on a rampage are incredibly low. We're talking on the order of it happening only five or six times a year. Are you suggesting we ban weapons from 300,000,000 people because a handful of people have a lose bolt in their skull?

+ hunters and sporters don't use automatic gun.

The vast majority of automatic weapons are used for recreation. Occasionally, once every couple years, somebody will use an automatic weapon for a murder or two. There is no denying this fact. However, the cost of enforcement far outweighs the benefits of prohibition. It is, quite literally, a budgetary black hole.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Sometimes. People can display a false persona, a picture of calmness with a pre-intended killing spree about to take place.

I assume that is hard to do with, say, three guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition, and tear gas like the guy at the batman shooting.

what about a business man going to his job whit a gun in his pocket like always. and then something happens that cracks him and he go's on a unintended rampage.

And what if he gets stopped by another guy with a gun? And what if he is actually super man in disguise? We can go on "What Ifs" all you want, but they hardly effect reality. Why would a perfectly sane man go completely crazy in such a short amount of time? How would he go on a rampage with what is probably just a clip of bullets? After all, he is untrained and using a handgun, even if you get hit by the full clip in a city with businessmen you will probably still survive if the doctors get there fast enough.

The vast majority of automatic weapons are used for recreation. Occasionally, once every couple years, somebody will use an automatic weapon for a murder or two. There is no denying this fact. However, the cost of enforcement far outweighs the benefits of prohibition. It is, quite literally, a budgetary black hole.

Just to clarify, fully automatic weapons have been banned in the united states for a while now (Of course you can still get them, if you have the money, but they have to have been built before a certain year). Your probably talking about semi-automatic weapons, which are mostly used for self defense and recreation.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

You so sure about that? I've known classmates who've had guns. One doesn't need to go to a shady gun trafficker to get a gun.

hmm yea your albinian. not realy the most civilized place on earth. (example: killing gays is seen by most of you as a oke thing to do)
and as i said not so long ago in some topic. i was never able to really understand the east-european cultures. like the usa they seem to be to violent for me.

Unintended? What? Never heard of somebody killing a dozen people unintentionally.

because you have never heard of it. does that mean it never happens?
and why should it be a dozen of people? only 1 is bad enough already. no? (it's just that 1 death doesn't make news in said countries anymore.)
if not then i hope 1 of your close ones gets shot in the head.
or less harsh, someone should point 1 at you threading to shoot it.
then you will be singing some steps lower on the topic. i can give you that.

The vast majority of automatic weapons are used for recreation.

what is the sport in that?
no need to aim. just hold trigger...
hunters and sporters don't need automatic guns. thats not the sport they are trying to do.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Most shootings are used with illegally purchased and possessed weapons. Why? Because most people that shoot other people don't start their careers by murdering somebody. More than 80%, in some places as high as 95% of people who commit murder are convicted felons. That means, by definition under nearly all state laws, any weapon that they purchase or possess is illegal, regardless of where or when they buy it. Not just a majority of crimes use illegal weapons, but the VAST majority.

Nay, I don't mean "murder by gun", you brainiac. This thread is about shootings, the amok/massacre kind of shooting. That kind of shooting usually involves legally purchased weapons; that's a fact.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

hmm yea your albinian. not realy the most civilized place on earth. (example: killing gays is seen by most of you as a oke thing to do)

What a logical and informed thing to say! How did you manage to completely remove all your biased like that? After all, with all you racist Dutch going around, it is nice to see one who can remove stereotypes.

and as i said not so long ago in some topic. i was never able to really understand the east-european cultures. like the usa they seem to be to violent for me.

Maybe that is because you have no clue what it is like to live out here? You may or may not know this, but most people in America think that murdering a random homosexual...is WRONG! Can you believe that, or are you too stoned?

because you have never heard of it. does that mean it never happens?

Pretty much, considering that "PERSON MURDERS TWELVE UNINTENTIONALLY" makes a pretty good headline, and we live in the age of the internet where I can get every headline of the last ten years at the click of a button.

and why should it be a dozen of people? only 1 is bad enough already. no? (it's just that 1 death doesn't make news in said countries anymore.)

How do you kill one person unintentionally if you are trained enough to have a legal concealed carry? They do teach you the basics of gun safety, and there are only so many organs that can kill a man.

if not then i hope 1 of your close ones gets shot in the head.

Everyone in Montana who has a gun has been working with it since we where young. Do you know what that means? It means we know how to use guns without getting ourselves shot. That is usually the first thing you are learned about guns. Combining that with the fact that since guns are not as "scary" to us means that we don't need concealed carry, we just have a long gun in our truck. (What I means "As scary", for example yesterday my dad was talking with a friend in a gas station parking lot. The friend had a new rifle, which he then took out of the car to show my dad. My dad looked down it sights and held it a bit, then handed it back. No one cared.). If you can accidentally shoot someone with a long gun in the head, then you probably don't meat the mental requirements to own said firearm.

or less harsh, someone should point 1 at you threading to shoot it.

Why would they do that? Like I said earlier, even the people I know who committed armed robbery did it with a fake gun. Besides, they would know I would probably just pull out my own gun and shoot them, so why would they do that?

then you will be singing some steps lower on the topic. i can give you that.

Or perhaps I would say "This insane guy came up to me with a pistol and threatened to shoot me. Luckily I was in my dad's car and managed to grab his shotgun, or I could have been injured!"

what is the sport in that?
no need to aim. just hold trigger...

Since apparently automatic weapons automatically hit everything they are almost pointing at? In any case, no one uses automatic weapons to hunt in America, not only can you not own one without spending a million dollars, but that would definitely violate fair chase.

hunters and sporters don't need automatic guns. thats not the sport they are trying to do.

Like I said. No hunter ever uses automatic weapon, they can cost half a million dollars.

Semi-automatic weapons are, however, useful in both hunting and as personal defense weapons. Why would we talk about automatic guns at all, when they are almost universally illegal to start with?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Maybe that is because you have no clue what it is like to live out here? You may or may not know this, but most people in America think that murdering a random homosexual...is WRONG! Can you believe that, or are you too stoned?

in the US you don't get 10 years in prison for being a homosexual.
i was obviously talking about albania.
keep up plz. or better ignore
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

i was obviously talking about albania.
keep up plz. or better ignore

Really? I had assumed you misspelled something. Alabama, maybe? It isn't exactly known for it's treatment of homosexuals, and it wouldn't be the first time you misspelled something.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Really? I had assumed you misspelled something. Alabama, maybe? It isn't exactly known for it's treatment of homosexuals, and it wouldn't be the first time you misspelled something.

That sounds fine until you read that he also said "Eastern European culture".

Btw Party, he's not from Albania.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

That sounds fine until you read that he also said "Eastern European culture".

I know. I was confused on that for a while, I thought he went back to talking the the Serbian guy. That was the only logical option, especially since I thought the guy he was currently talking to was American (From the "The bad of your country thread, where he says he is an American...). I never accused Party of being coherent or logical.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Orion's alt just happens to have an Albanian flag in it. Easy mistake to make I guess.

Showing 31-45 of 55