3,950 posts

PC specs.
TB HD.
8 GB RAM.
64 bits.
Dual run Fedora and Debian OS.
NVIDIA graphics accelerator.
Can't remember the processor. :X

I built my computer by myself. Altogether I think it was about $2k for the hardware, but I have a lot of unnecessary features. I saved a bundle by not using Windows and instead using Linux. It's air-cooled, got me a mech-backlighted Alienware keyboard and mouse, and, just for fun, I have it hooked up to my vinyl record payer and I have a cassette player built into one of the drives. :)

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 1:59pm

daleks

daleks

3,183 posts

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 2:00pm

daleks

daleks

3,183 posts

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 2:04pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops … 95
That is my computer.

I'm getting a server error.

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 2:43pm

daleks

daleks

3,183 posts

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops … /X75-A7295
Hopefully this link works. If not then well...just delete the part of the URL that obviously causes the error.

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 2:55pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

That is my computer.

Lol Windows 8.

I'm sorry, but daleks, WHY DID YOU UPGRADE???

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 8:34pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,760 posts

Knight

My laptop also has a GEForce video card and an Audigy sound card.
I'm not on it right now so I don't know the exact name and number.
The sound card is not bad at all, I can't wait to get my new speakers and DAC.
Should be here any day now.  If the sound is good enough without the DAC I'll use it on this older laptop (Toshiba Satellite).

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 8:36pm

SSTG

SSTG

10,760 posts

Knight

I'm sorry, but daleks, WHY DID YOU UPGRADE???

You can't get a recent model with Windows 7 anymore, they only come with Garbage 8.

Posted Aug 7, '13 at 9:32pm

jeol

jeol

3,565 posts

I have a Lenovo Yoga 13. It was running Windows 8, but I scrapped that for Linux. I was switching between Ubuntu/LM15 and Windows 8.1 (not quite as bad, but still bad) and have settled with Linux Mint Debian Edition. I love it - I don't get touchscreen support for the moment, but I don't really mind since I'm using this for work and play and hardly would use the touchscreen anyways. Wireless and brightness didn't work out of the box with Linux, but I got the driver and config set up correctly now.

13 inch 10-point touchscreen (16:9)
i5-3337U processor
4 gigs of RAM
128 SSD + 1TB portable HDD
Intel HD 4000 graphics card.

TB HD.
8 GB RAM.
64 bits.
Dual run Fedora and Debian OS.
NVIDIA graphics accelerator.
Can't remember the processor. :X

I built my computer by myself. Altogether I think it was about $2k for the hardware, but I have a lot of unnecessary features. I saved a bundle by not using Windows and instead using Linux. It's air-cooled, got me a mech-backlighted Alienware keyboard and mouse, and, just for fun, I have it hooked up to my vinyl record payer and I have a cassette player built into one of the drives. :)

I'm gells.

I've always wanted to build my own desktop, but I need a job first and I have college ,_. The computer science labs are great though, it looks like, so at least having the option of ever using great hardware isn't out of the question (plus they're public restricted, which means only CS students get to use them :D). I still want to upgrade my sound card if I can, and possibly get a mic too since I have standalone headphones which I love (Sennheiser HD 595's).

Reply to Computer Gadgets and Toys

You must be logged in to post a reply!