ForumsWEPRThe bad of your country.

58 16350
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

What's bad about your country, that most people don't realize or don't know? Does it have a government that promises one, but delivers instead a dictatorship? Does the government do nothing about corruption? Is the government itself corrupt? Do they have policies that make no sense?

Please, do share with us, I'm quite interested in learning more of this. If you want to know about my motherland, you just have to check page 3 of this thread, nicho and 314 did a beautiful job at describing the situation in Serbia.

• 58 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

You might not recall your phrasing of "the rest" being extremely absolute.

It is rather had to make a large generalization, especially when we are not only talking about countries and states, but apparently cities, and not just cities but small parts of cities. Excuse me for not taking a little bit of a little bit of a little bit into account.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It is rather had to make a large generalization, especially when we are not only talking about countries and states, but apparently cities, and not just cities but small parts of cities. Excuse me for not taking a little bit of a little bit of a little bit into account.

Traditional black inner-city ghettos are thinning out and changing, drawing in impoverished Hispanic people, who have low-wage jobs or are unemployed. Neighborhoods with poverty rates of at least 40% are stretching over broader areas, increasing in suburbs at twice the rate of cities.

After declining during the 1990s economic boom, the proportion of poor people in large metropolitan areas who lived in high-poverty neighborhoods jumped from 11.2% in 2000 to 15.1% last year, according to a Brookings Institution analysis released Thursday. Such geographically concentrated poverty in the US is now at the highest since 1990, following a decade of high unemployment and rising energy costs.

Extreme poverty today continues to be prevalent in the industrial midwest, including Michigan cities Detroit and Grand Rapids, and Akron, Ohio, because of a renewed decline in manufacturing. But the biggest growth in high-poverty areas is occurring in newer Sun Belt metro areas such as Las Vegas, Riverside, California, and Cape Coral, Florida, after the plummeting housing market wiped out home values and dried up construction jobs.

7% of African Americans live in ghettos today and it's not counting other races. It's not a tiny tiny group as you put it.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

It's not a tiny tiny group as you put it.

Yeah, it really is.

12.6% (39,600,414 people) Of America is black. If 7% live in ghettos, that makes 2,772,028.98 people. Excuse me if I am ignoring an extremely small part of the country while making generalizations.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Yeah, it really is.

12.6% (39,600,414 people) Of America is black. If 7% live in ghettos, that makes 2,772,028.98 people. Excuse me if I am ignoring an extremely small part of the country while making generalizations.

2 million is not "tiny" it's the population of many countries. Not to mention that this is just one race, and that ghetto population is on the rise.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

2 million is not "tiny" it's the population of many countries. Not to mention that this is just one race, and that ghetto population is on the rise.

It is 7% of 12.6%, and if my math is right that makes .882%, correct? I, personally, consider less then one percent of something, even if it is on the rise, a small minority.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Point being, no the crime rate in many parts of America, and the poverty rates are not as low and tamed. The murder rate in the capital itself is shocking.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It is 7% of 12.6%, and if my math is right that makes .882%, correct? I, personally, consider less then one percent of something, even if it is on the rise, a small minority.

As mentioned; these are only the blacks. Read! And it's not just the ghettos. The crime rates aren't always that low and only due to alcohol.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

As mentioned; these are only the blacks. Read! And it's not just the ghettos. The crime rates aren't always that low and only due to alcohol.

Unless the other races living in ghettos multiplies that number by ten, then it is still a small percentage.

The "Crimes do to alcohol" might only be in Montana, since that is all the crimes I know. I have not left the state for more then a week in years, which is why I had the question mark at the end of my statement. Around here, it seems like every crime is do to alcohol. Guy rob a liquor store? He was probably drunk. Neighbor stab a guy? They where both drunk. Someone crash a car? Drunk. If you search news for Montana crime, you will find that most criminals where drunk. I have no clue about the rest of the country, however.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The "Crimes do to alcohol" might only be in Montana, since that is all the crimes I know. I have not left the state for more then a week in years, which is why I had the question mark at the end of my statement. Around here, it seems like every crime is do to alcohol. Guy rob a liquor store? He was probably drunk. Neighbor stab a guy? They where both drunk. Someone crash a car? Drunk. If you search news for Montana crime, you will find that most criminals where drunk. I have no clue about the rest of the country, however.

No they are not. That's all I can say, and it's the same for the rest of the world. Greed, jealousy, racial hatred, political extremists, work related crime such as the recent shootings, mental illnesses, drugs, religion, you name it and the cause has been covered before.

Unless the other races living in ghettos multiplies that number by ten, then it is still a small percentage.

As shown, these are not just the ghettos but the poorer parts if the nation, and there is a direct correlation between crime rates and poverty. It's nit a minor issue.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

No they are not

*Looks up*

A man with mental disestablishes ***** two 14 year old girls. He wasn't drunk, but apparently one of the girls was.

A drunk man got into a knife fight with his wife.

An 18-year old resisted arrest. He was stunned with a stun gun twice and was not effected, so it is presumed he was on drugs. Or drunk.

Just a few examples. We don't have that much crime here, but when we do, we drink.

As shown, these are not just the ghettos but the poorer parts if the nation, and there is a direct correlation between crime rates and poverty. It's nit a minor issue.

It is minor enough to say that, as a whole, it is a great nation. Still a lot richer and has a lot less crime them most other countries.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Just a few examples. We don't have that much crime here, but when we do, we drink.

Batman shooting. John Wayne Gacy. The Sikh Temple shootings recently. Unabomber. Oklahoma bombings. Empire State Building Shooting recently. KKK organizations today. Sacramento Vampire. Trayvon shooting.

It would be marvelous if drink was the cause; it would be much easier to tackle crime. But no, it's not always because of drink. Maybe you mistook we when I said "No They are not", not always alcohol related nationwide.

On the other hand, it would also be funny to pin all 4000 burglaries, 20000 larceny theft cases, 26 murders, 321 rapes, 25000 property related crime on alcohol.

America isn't doing well financially it keeps afloat only through the loans of other nations such as Japan and China. Amongst the OECD nations, America ranks near the top for homicide rates; you make the decision.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,250 posts
Regent

Around here, it seems like every crime is do to alcohol. Guy rob a liquor store? He was probably drunk. Neighbor stab a guy? They where both drunk. Someone crash a car? Drunk. If you search news for Montana crime, you will find that most criminals where drunk.

Sounds like there ain't much to do in Montana 'xcept to drink

The bad of Switzerland? The endless bureaucracy. The many bourgeois people. A dire case of urban sprawl. Obligatory military service for men, serving an army oversized compared to it's actual functions. A national anthem that sounds as if it came directly out of the bible (search for "Swiss Psalm&quot.

Still it's nice living here, for there are also many more advantages. I really can't complain.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

America ranks near the top for homicide rates; you make the decision.

5.0 per 100.000 citizens.
only estonia whit 5.2 and mexico whit a massive 18.1 are higher.
Anethiel
Anethiel
14 posts
Peasant

Finland is a pretty good place to live in, but we have also more than a few problems.

Our economy is short of taking a nose dive into the gutter, but we keep pouring money to the indebted European countries. We hand out millions of euros that we will never get back, since Greece will probably start a WW3 rather than pay up. We could use that money to advance and keep up our schools and health care, but we keep racking up more and more bills to pay because we want to be seen as the good guys. Don't get me wrong, it's an important cause, but the main thing in this whole mess is to stabilize the countries, not drag more of them into debt by giving out way too much money that is blown with totally wrong choices. And yet, the people in charge over here do not understand it.

And the other bad thing in here is, that while this economic state is gnawing at out ankles and causes our services to slowly dry up, the people will rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend that it's still the golden 80's when everything was good rather than making things better. I can't even remember how many times I've heard the phrase "Well, it isn't the best as it could be, but there's a ton of worse countries to live in, so consider yourself fortunate." It is not a justification! We, as the people of a nation, should constantly strife to make our lives better. Of course, helping others is important, but how can we extend any help if our own situation is getting worse because our people are becoming more passive and apathetic? If we keep hiding behind excuses and won't start making things better, we might just become that 'worse place to live' in a few decades.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

@ Anethiel

you can say all that also about the netherlands. same **** going on.
so i agree on that except for the very last sentence.
africa will stay the worst for atleast another 100 year.

Showing 16-30 of 58