ForumsWEPRAsexuality (New intro: Page 12)

192 42436
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Introduction

I was watching something on National Geographic the other day and something about asexuals came up. I was a bit intrigued, but they did not go into as much detail as I wanted. I figured that sense we have a good group of discussioners (just made that word up), then we could all learn something.

What is Asexuality?

Wikipedia says: Asexuality describes individuals who do not experience sexual attraction and is considered by some to be a sexual orientation.[1] Asexuality as a human sexual orientation has only been recognized and defined in a few academic studies since the late 1970s, and a community of self-identified asexuals has only coalesced since the start of the 21st century, aided by the widening popularity of online communities.[1] One commonly cited study placed the incidence rate of asexuality at 1%.[2] Asexuality is not the same as celibacy, which is the deliberate abstention from sexual activity; many asexuals do have sex,[3] and most celibates are not asexual.

How does this fit into the Kinsey Sexuality Scale?

Alfred Kinsey was aware of an asexual element in the population but did little to investigate it. His Kinsey scale of sexual orientation consisted of a single axis lying between heterosexuality and homosexuality with bisexuality in between, and thus left no place for asexuality. In the Kinsey Reports of 1948 and 1953, subjects were scaled from 0 (completely heterosexual) to 6 (completely homosexual), but a separate category of X was created for those with "no socio-sexual contacts or reactions".[4][5] He labeled 1.5% of the adult male population as "X"

Questions

1. Is asexuality even real? I am skeptical. I don't see how one could be asexual given the hormones we all have.

2. Do you think it is purely sexual or does it involve romantic notions?

3. Given that it is real and does exist, could it be a result of a trauma?

4. Would you classify this as a mental disorder given the fact that their body has the right hormones, etc?

• 192 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Well, skipping all the junk from this page...

Strop, you brought up a point in the previous page that caught my attention. You said something about humans not HAVING to have sex. You are right. It isn't a survival mechanism (in the sense of non-reproductive intercourse), it is a pleasure. Is it going to far to say that it is just like any other pleasure? Some enjoy some pleasures, some don't. Could sex be the same?

I suppose I am hell-bent on this hormonal issue. It isn't hormones that allow me to love the taste of cheesecake, but it is hormonal that allows me to love kissing someone.

Another interesting point is the castration. I suppose that humans can adapt to a lot of things. I think it is hard for me to see asexuality because I come from a line of sexual people and it has always been open in my little sub-culture of a world.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Humans and monkeys are the only 2 species in the world that have sex for pleasure apparently. Although we do have to have sex to survive i mean the human race needs to continue although i agree that in this day and age people 'mate' because they want a baby not to continue the human race.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Dolphins...don't forget the dolphins!

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I thought i heard about that but i wasnt 100% sure so i left it out. I actually once watched a program called the dark side of dolphins and showed them having sex. Probably the funniest thing i have ever seen. One got hard and his dick kwent bright red, it was so jokes.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I saw that, too! Funny!

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

o well i guess we both have a kinda weird sense of humour

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh god, another thread with dolphins in them (see Squalick's line of posts in "Life"...and it was him, not me making the double-entendres about blowholes!!!)

I think interspecies mating can (not necessarily is, but can) be a sign of sex existing 'outside' of purely reproductive terms.

I am not going to post any references to YouTube that may evidence that not just monkeys, humans, and dolphins have 'sex for pleasure'...you'll have to look them up yourself c.c

I will tell you though that giraffes and sea elephants (manatees? Dugongs? I'm not sure which one...maybe Carlie can help out heh) do the whole mutual masturbation (am I allowed to say that on these forums?) thing too.

The whole 'animals do sex as a function' is really a byproduct of the arcane and, I'll add, rather inaccurate Descartean outlook on animal behavior...because the man thought only humans had a soul, so too could they be the only ones to possess emotive processing.

Bah!

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I am not saying that animals dont feel emotions but i am saying that not all animals have sex for pleasure and that it is not that many altho youtube sounds good lol

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yeah, wasn't commenting about yours. Just a post for 'general' (PG-rated) edification!

I want in on these jokes, too :P

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Strop you always manage to censor well!

*goes straight to youtube*

What is that word again... zoophilia?

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

O_o that wasn't exactly the cue I was dropping but anyway, I guess so!

I'm pleasantly surprised you used that word instead of 'bestiality'. Not that you'd find examples of either on YouTube...that would most likely be against policy.

On which note, I think it's funny how some of those clips have the most obscene titles (involving, say, Paris Hilton) and then they're about...I dunno. Bunnies or something.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Ohhh... Another topic of this kind... *pounces it* Must write something to bump it with so I can read it thoroughly later...

1. Is asexuality even real? I am skeptical. I don't see how one could be asexual given the hormones we all have.

The hormonal balances vary a lot from person to person. Some just don't feel the urges...

2. Do you think it is purely sexual or does it involve romantic notions?
Asexuality? Well... As a sexuality, it is mainly focused on the sexual side, but I suppose it has a meaning when it revolves around "romantic" feelings too.

3. Given that it is real and does exist, could it be a result of a trauma?
It could be. Psychological factors are many and complex, and having a bad experience of some sort could probably make the desire for another being lesser...
4. Would you classify this as a mental disorder given the fact that their body has the right hormones, etc?
I tend to avoid classifying sexual deviations as disorders.

Off topic, I miss Asherlee... And shall return to this thread later, to read...
kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Way to go Zoph, you just revived a few-month-old thread >_>

If they were seriously talking about banning asexuality, I would believe that they have gone too far. (page 1) The asexual people aren't doing any harm to ANYONE, even those with religious beliefs. Just because a male doesn't like girls doesn't mean that he is homosexual, because he doesn't like boys either. They are just people that don't wish to be married or be affiliated with any part of romance or love in general. Sure, they have friends, but it's not like they want to marry them.

stonester
stonester
120 posts
Nomad

this is a ocward postishin i will move on

Showing 31-45 of 192