ForumsWEPRAlcohol

41 8157
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

The drinking age in Britain is 18. Politicians are trying to raise it to 21. I think this is a bad idea. Britain does have a culture where people drink heavily which isnt a good thing, but raising the law will just give the police something else to worry about. Most people in Britain first get drunk when they are 14, and so to raise the age to 21 is hypocritical. They should try and eliminate underage drinking in very young teens first before they try and stop 18 year olds from drinking. I wouldnt like England to be like America where u can get married fight and die for your country but cant get a drink. What do you think. Is it a good idea to raise the drinking age or is it a bad one?

• 41 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I know in America when the drinking age was raised to 21, there were a LOT less drunk driving accidents among 16-20 year olds. But you are right when you say alcohol is viewed differently in Europe than in America. When people are exposed to it young, they are much less likely to binge drink. But for someone like me who didn't drink until 21, I can say I enjoy getting smashed every week or so.

Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

I think that it would be good for Britian to do that. Just like thelistman said, it will put an end to many things.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I think it will be a good diea to raise it. Sirstly, because it will at least put a small indent on drunk driving, but of course there will be problems. Once people get caught by the cops once or twice, I think they will at least refrain even if it is just a little step.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

i say there's no different.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

I never understand these arguments for higher drinking ages. It's like telling someone "You can vote, you can sign contracts, you can join the military and shoot people, but NOOOOOOOOOOO that devil's brew is too much for you". There's a disconnect there somewhere.

I would be surprised if anything but a tiny minority of drinkers ever drink and drive (statistics would be welcome). Punishing everyone for the failures of a few doesn't seem fair to me, or most people I would think. If politicians want to stop drunk driving, there's two simple ideas that would solve it, and not punish other people.

1) You drink and drive, you lose your license for a year. Do it a second time, and it's 5 years. Third strike, you lose your drivers license for life. You've proven you can't be trusted behind the wheel.

2) Take the ID people use, and if they get caught drunk driving, put a stamp or something on it that says "NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ALCOHOL". Since bars are supposed to check ID, this people won't be able to purchase alcohol. I'd put the time limit on this as the same for above: 1 year for first offense, 5 for second, 3rd is life.

I know the counterargument to this is "But dude, people will just drive without a license, get someone else to buy their booze, or bars don't check ID". That is probably true, but now you have a whole slew of charges against this person to put them in the lockup (or rehab, which would be preferable actually).

You can abide by the rules and not hurt other people? Drink all you want. You can't abide by those rules, you lose that privilege. You try to get around that, you get removed from society for your own good. Simple as that, and responsible 18 year olds can drink.

Of course, I'm a wacky libertarian, and I think the drinking age should be 18, and your parents can let you drink whenever they think you're ready before that.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

@Wittman i think you are completely wrong i mean there are lots of issues with drink but at least by the time we are 18 we can handle it. I say this as a pilot who can only drink like once a year because i have to stay completely sober for my flying so i know how annoying it is not to be able to drink. But at least i am sober for a reason. I cant imagine what it would be like for other 18 year olds if u could not drink. What would be the point in going to the pub? A classic British pastime would be ruined for loads of people. i mean i started drinking when i was 14 but that didnt turn me into a raging alcoholic.

FunkyMonkey
FunkyMonkey
22 posts
Nomad

Woody, I'm afraid life doesn't revolve around drinking. I know many people who were happy with not being able to drink at eighteen. That doesn't mean that on their twenty-first they didn't go to a bar and drink, but nobody cared much about the drinking restrictions.

Drinking is dangerous. Not just drinking and driving, but just plain drinking as well. You need to know how to handle it. I think twenty-one is a good age to start drinking.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@FunkyMonkey: Of course life doesn't go around drinking. And it's also true that not everyone wants to drink at 18. But lets apply that reasoning to something else and see why it doesn't hold up.

I don't have the TV hooked up in my house. I can get along without it and have a happy life, so if I can do it, maybe nobody else should have a TV and we should shut down the networks.

My roommate didn't drive a car until he was 30. He got along just fine without it, so nobody should have the right to drive until they're 30 also.

See, just because some people don't want to do it, doesn't mean nobody should be allowed to do it. Drinking is the same as above.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Given the arguments for and against here are presented in relatively complete form (at least, collectively speaking), I'll just note that the illegal factor can be a thing among the young'ins.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Strop: the point here is that I think we should lower the drinking age to that it isn't illegal anymore.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

@kanethebrain

"You can vote, you can sign contracts, you can join the military and shoot people, but NOOOOOOOOOOO that devil's brew is too much for you". There's a disconnect there somewhere.

Well, I don't think there is much wrong with that statement because voting, signing contracts, and most of all joining the military to shoot people while under the influence are all really bad ideas. I understand your postiton on alcohol; I just want you to realize the irony in your argument.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

@funkymonkey

I am not saying that life revolves around drinking as i said before i never drink anymore because i am a pilot. However i still think i should have the right to drink.In europe especially Britain which this thread is supposed to be about young people when they go out go to a pub where they have a few drinks. I think 18 year olds are mature enought o handle this especially in a country where most people start drinking when they are 14 and upwards.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Ninjacube: Wow, talk about a Strawman fallacy. Did I say anywhere that people should drink and vote, drink and sign contracts (this isn't legal, because being drunk legally removes your ability to consent), or have drunken rampages through a warzone? In fact, I didn't, and that's a ridiculous argument to make.

If someone is responsible enough to vote, responsible enough to enter binding contracts, and responsible enough to die for their country, they are responsible enough to drink alcohol. Zero irony.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I think that it should be lowered to age 0. I think that people should be able to drink whenever they want to, it is not life threatening on a short term, it would take years upon years upon years to kill a person (suicide does not count). So if people want to go and kill there brain cells and get drunk let them.

BTW: You still should not drink it is bad for you, juuuuuuuust not in a lethal way

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I totally agree with kanethebrain on his argument. I've been saying it for years! The right to vote, serve in the military, an marry has NOTHING to do with being able to drink. There is no correlation between these actions. It's a stupid argument to say, "someone can fight for their country, but can't have a beer." There is nothing in the constitution that guarantees a beer (or any alcoholic drink) to someone in the military.

Showing 1-15 of 41