Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[dup]Arguments for God

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 2:33pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,939 posts

Knight

@Blackbeltr0

Apart from what Kasic said (what about your claim being false) you are looking at it from the wrong end. You take our current state as granted and say how amazing it is that we are here at this exact location. I say it is perfectly normal we are here, as we came to be here because of this location. No argument for god whatsoever.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 2:48pm

StDrake

StDrake

190 posts

Logical analysis. The Bible tells us that God is all loving, all powerful, and all knowing. We can clearly find instances where these contradict, as well as directly refute claims/events. Internal consistencies and the fact that the Bible is really piecemeal Hebrew writings with original works and it just doesn't come out well.

Logical analysis based on interpretation with incomplete data. The term "loving" is already inconsistent on its own. Add to that the all-knowing part and recall that it doesn't apply to us. Now take the fact that ancient writings are riddled with symbolism that is not quite easy to understand in our times.
After that we might ask ourselves a question - are these really contradictions, or just our interpretation biased towards contradiction due to not wanting, or even anti-wanting to believe. Of course that works both ways.
Give me examples on events that can be directly refuted. To all my knowledge most of those loudest "miracles" have actually seen attempts at scientific proof. Of course it turned out they weren't miracles at all since being perfectly scientifically correct, but at least they turned out plausible. The only such even that I haven't heard any scientific explanation of yet was the resurrection of Lazarus. I can only assume some combination of leprousness + lethargy.
I have to admit however that the Bible being a mix of various things found and added on the topic doesn't help at all.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 3:21pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,564 posts

Logical analysis based on interpretation with incomplete data

Doesn't really matter if it's incomplete if you look at the complete parts.

The term "loving" is already inconsistent on its own.

It's ambiguous to some degree depending on how it's used, true. You can't reconcile arbitrary killings for petty infractions with love though, no matter what definition you use.

Now take the fact that ancient writings are riddled with symbolism that is not quite easy to understand in our times.

Symbolism still gets across fairly clear points.

Give me examples on events that can be directly refuted.

List of contradictions.

This is just the first thing I found on google and skimmed through it real quick but there's a few good ones in there.

The only such even that I haven't heard any scientific explanation of yet was the resurrection of Lazarus.

Don't forget walking on water and multiplying fish/bread, water to wine and self resurrection and other such things...

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 3:51pm

DSM

DSM

795 posts

Which does not however lead to "god did it".

But it doesn't denies it.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 4:01pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

4,970 posts

Science doesn't deny a floating invisible pink elephant that phases through matter either. Doesn't mean it's there.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 4:19pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

4,939 posts

Knight

In lack of anything supporting, you don't usually affirm either of the possibilities. Thus coming back to my question: why call it god? Nothing supports it, and the lack of counter-argument is not an argument in favor of it.

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 6:32pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

i said why is the world not 1 foot further or 1 foot closer to the sun so that we would not be here?????

if the habitable zone is is a few millions miles wide, then it doesn't matter we are 1 foot further or closer to the sun.
we could be 500.000 miles closer or further from the sun and still we would exist.

(just check the simulator i posted ;) )

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 6:58pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

it doesn't deny care bears living in the clouds...
i knew i was right, that they live there and are real. =D

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 8:08pm

hersheykissxoxo

hersheykissxoxo

6 posts

hey, I do believe in the Christian God but I am not as smart as you guys and haven't done nearly enough scientific research to prove to you that he exists, so all i can say is be patient and you'll find out, most likely after you die, if there's a greater being involved in our lives (:

Posted Oct 19, '12 at 8:14pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,087 posts

all i can say is be patient and you'll find out,

do some research and you'll find out.
google is your best friend ;)

or hang around on this forum for a while and you can learn allot from it. people here are mostly well informed. (unlike most other forums wich has mostly just spammmm noobs)