Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Atheists and Homosexuals

Posted Nov 3, '12 at 11:46am

Bananas2

Bananas2

4 posts

I really depends on your community. I was raised without religion and I live in a rather irreligious country.

Posted Nov 4, '12 at 6:45am

Getoffmydangle

Getoffmydangle

148 posts

Re the original question: Who has it worse depends on circumstances.  I would guess that typically the LGBTs have it worse than atheists.  Its probably easier to hide being an atheist.  But for both groups, discrimination should not be tolerated.  To (loosely) quote Austin Powers' father: "the only thing I cannot tolerate is people who are intolerant of other people's culture, and the dutch!"

Posted Nov 4, '12 at 7:49am

djme

djme

80 posts

VonHeisenbourg

THANK YOU!!!

I am in the US, where both groups are treated like crap

cbreezy623, you may be treated like crap here, but get over it in middle-eastern countries you would be stoned if you were caught being homosexual or denying that Mohammed wasn’t real *time change* in England if you admitted that you were a protestant and would not deny you belief you would probably be burned at the stake :P

Posted Nov 4, '12 at 7:52am

djme

djme

80 posts

*saying* that Mohammed wasn’t real

Posted Nov 4, '12 at 9:01am

handlerfan

handlerfan

192 posts

I think that in England we accept atheists as much as we do Christians and Jews and Muslims. There is more prejudice against homosexuals. I have heard little prejudice against atheists in the USA.
I think that the USA was not a product of religeon but of a desire to be independant of a monarch imposing his or her religeon on the people.
I think that we think little of the Queen being the Queen of Canada as well. I tend to think of Canada as being to a great extent independent of us.

Posted Nov 4, '12 at 1:54pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,667 posts

Knight

you may be treated like crap here, but get over it in middle-eastern countries you would be stoned if you were caught being homosexual or denying that Mohammed wasn’t real *time change* in England if you admitted that you were a protestant and would not deny you belief you would probably be burned at the stake :P

Just because someone may have it worse than you doesn't mean that the bad situation you're is something  you should "just get over". A worse situation doesn't lessen the bad situation you're in.

I have heard little prejudice against atheists in the USA.

Some polls have indicated that atheists were/are the least trusted minority in the US. At least from 2007. That means given the choice between trusting that pedophile r@pist or that atheist, most Americans would truth the pedophile r@pist more.

Posted Nov 4, '12 at 4:16pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,090 posts

Some polls have indicated that atheists were/are the least trusted minority in the US. At least from 2007. That means given the choice between trusting that pedophile r@pist or that atheist, most Americans would truth the pedophile r@pist more.

must but a poll in churches. under the people that work there.
prety often they **** a child themself.

on a more serious note: they are crazy.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 8:36am

Nerdsoft

Nerdsoft

1,009 posts

you would be stoned

Dear god, have you even been to Turkey!? Do you know anything about the Middle East!? I've been to Egypt, Lebanon, Israel (that's right, I got into Israel with Lebanese stamps), Palestine and Jordan and most of the people I met were as open-minded as the average Christian, Jew, Hindu or atheist. Just because the ME is simmering from the Arab Spring doesn't mean that's the face of Islam.
May I remind you that the ME is where we got the basis for most of our technology? Something that is often left out, even in the UK.

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 9:00pm

samiel

samiel

334 posts

as a religous person and somewhat conservative person I catch more flack from atheists calling me stupid and bisexuals and homosexuals calling me intollerant which is weird because I live in Alabama and support gays anyway I would say homos cus athiests have more legal rights

Posted Jan 30, '13 at 9:14pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,570 posts

as a religous person and somewhat conservative person I catch more flack from atheists calling me stupid and bisexuals and homosexuals calling me intollerant

Probably a bias in that view, as you're more likely to pay attention to/remember every time someone calls you something, as opposed to being present for and remembering every time it happens to someone else for the gay/atheist bashing.

In most parts of the world, homosexuality is more discriminated against than atheism, but I think atheism is, in general, viewed as the more "evil" of the two. Homosexuality doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's stance on a god, while Atheism is viewed as a direct threat to religion by many groups of people.

Reply to Atheists and Homosexuals

You must be logged in to post a reply!