ForumsWEPRAtheists and Homosexuals

48 18704
cbreezy623
cbreezy623
60 posts
Nomad

As an atheist I am a victim of prejudice. (Nothing too serious it's more of an annoyance. Things like people telling me I'm going to hell, go to church, bla bla bla.) I was wondering who you guys think has it harder when it comes to prejudice and hate, gays or atheists? (I am in the US, where both groups are treated like crap.)

• 48 Replies
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

When people claim that God and religion were what America was built on, and cite the anthem, they haven't actually acknowledged that such a change is very recent if we consider the whole span of American history.

I don't consider that relevant, what I do think that is that if you disagree and don't support your modern day anthem you probably shouldn't run for or be allowed to run for office.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

disagree and don't support your modern day anthem you probably shouldn't run for or be allowed to run for office.

So do all of your Canadian officials really believe in swearing an oath to the Queen of England? To quote the Oath of Allegiance:
I, [name], do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.

Not just the sodding Queen, but a god as well! Even if you a nonreligious, they have one for you as well.
I, [name], do solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare the taking of an oath is according to my religious belief unlawful, and I do also solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

So either way, they are pledging allegiance to a Queen that has had no power in your country nor hers for an awful long while.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I don't consider that relevant, what I do think that is that if you disagree and don't support your modern day anthem you probably shouldn't run for or be allowed to run for office.

When such beliefs include confirmation of a higher being even though the very basis of the constitution of that State separates religion from the State? Hopskotch.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

@devoidless

I hope this isn't considered spam, but my comment to your last post is: touché

he very basis of the constitution of that State separates religion from the State?

Also a good point, one that I hasn't thought of previously (even though it was mentioned

Not that this'll mean much, but I now rescind my previous statements of having to support an anthem to be allowed to enter office.

I now understand why the laws are in place, but disagree with them. I know this doesn't mean much/anything but that is just my two cents
AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

Gays, man. I tell people I'm an atheist and they don't give a care in the world, or ask me some general questions that I rather enjoy and can lead to some interesting conversations.

Gays? They get lynched and murdered. I'd say that they have it worse.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Please don't say that this is part of America's anthem, because it really isn't.

Well, it is, but it's in the end of the 4th stanza when most Americans barely know/recite the 1st, and the SSB wasn't adopted as the anthem until the 1930s. But between the 1830s and 1930s, My Country 'Tis of Thee was the anthem, whose 4th stanza is heavily religious, but again, most Americans only know/recite the 1st.

This was imprinted on coins the 1800s I believe after Reconstruction.

It was officially permitted by Congress in 1873 and has been on all US coins since 1938. It was first on Union money during the Civil War, for political purposes.

Union Two-Cent:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1865-U-S-2-CENT-PIECE-BETTER-DATE-CIVIL-WAR-ERA-ES-/00/$(KGrHqV,!jME4oeRu9YiBOVq-LQFi!~~48_35.JPG

Back to OP topic
Gays? They get lynched and murdered. I'd say that they have it worse

The same thing happens to atheists sometimes.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

But also in the Bill of rights it says we have freedom of religion, and frankly if you don't believe in a Supreme Being and that's your religion, fine with me.

Just going to answer the statement with a video.
Why Atheism is Not a Religion (A Ham-fisted Explanation)

Here are a couple of pod cast on atheists coming out and how it can compare to to gays coming out.
Coming Out, Again
"Coming Out" as an atheist - The Thinking Atheist Podcast #5
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

say how coming out as an atheist was harder

coming out as a atheist? =S
that is really a coming out thing?
it's even worse then i thought.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

it's even worse then i thought.

I suppose that could sound rather strange to some depending on the country you live in. But just imagine you're in a family who all are hardcore Christians. One day you say to your mom "I don't think I believe in God anymore". She looks at you very concerned, holding back the fear but it shows clearly in her eyes and she says to you "It's okay if you don't believe in God, as long as you're not an atheist."

Worse yet imagine living in a Middle Easter country where expressing that you're an atheist is illegal and can get you killed.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

For people saying things like

it's even worse then i thought

Here's a website describing the history of prejudice against atheists: [url=http://www.atheist-community.org/library/articles/read.php?id=675]
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

hmmm i remember a youtube video where a guy put a hidden camera and came out as an atheist to his mother and she freaked out. i remember her saying stupid things like:

"so what? theres always been a god and suddenly no god?"
and
"well if you dont believe in god then there are no presents on christmas"

it was funny and sad at the same time

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

hmmm i remember a youtube video where a guy put a hidden camera and came out as an atheist to his mother and she freaked out. i remember her saying stupid things like:

This one? and NSFW due to language.
Coming out as an atheist
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

This one?

yes.... wow... its much worse then i remembered. watching it again i cant say its funny at all. the way she got so close to his face and said that stupid thing about christmas... poor guy. people can be really horibble when they face people with different opinions
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

"It's okay if you don't believe in God, as long as you're not an atheist."

hahaha lol, that really made my day. xD

Worse yet imagine living in a Middle Easter country where expressing that you're an atheist is illegal and can get you killed.

i guess so if you look like someone from the middle east or if you are surrounded by the wrong people. but i never had problems whit it. just respect their believes. and rules if needed. but mostly it doesn't come to topic even.
but ic how it could be problematic for some people.

Here's a website describing the history of prejudice against atheists

yea thats history. we live in a modern world now right?
1 afternoon on wikipedia will give you enough info. why close their minds for the info and reallity? =S

This one?

i c again. =)
it was funny and sad at the same time

true that.
Bananas2
Bananas2
4 posts
Peasant

I really depends on your community. I was raised without religion and I live in a rather irreligious country.

Showing 16-30 of 48