ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWorking Title - It's a Salvidious Game

202 69722
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Welcome folks.

This weekend I was fortunate enough to meet up with a couple long-time friends. For months I've been trying to get a hold of them, and now that I have we'll start on our first flash game for AG. Before we actually start making the game, we'll need to learn some fancy flash code stuff so we know what we're doing. I know bits and pieces, but not enough to make a half-decent game. We have 9 months to get the game's blueprints done, but we'll have to balance school as well. Production will take a month, or maybe two.

Anyway, I'll be doing general bug testing and graphic work, while the other guys will be doing the other stuff. Sounds like we have everything covered, right? No. We need a story. I want to include some interesting characters from the site, but we need help. I'll be popping in every once in a while to write bits and pieces because the main story will most likely fall into my lap.

The guys liked my username so much we're naming our baby production Salvidious Games. Do me proud, and be in a game.

So, to start things off, I'll need a setting. Throw your ideas out there; I need places, times, the whole shabang. I also need an exciting plot. In the plot, we need characters. Nominate yourself as a character, give some traits. Write a book.

Get going folks!

• 202 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

@pickpocket - with that idea...the downside would be with people like me (colourblind)

Not really. It would work the same. You match the colors. It doesnt matter what they are.
So pang would be a samuri and SP his undead slave. He needs to be all bones, but have the little pilot hat and goggles, you know what im sayin? Ernie should be a clown. Wouldnt he be perfect for it? Or maybe a penguin.... I dunno why. Daleks is a dino. And I need a little robber mask. The one that only covers your eyes. And either a orange jump suit or horizontal striped shirt. Or a cape. Ah, as long as I dont look stupid ill be happy.
Perhaps these should be bonus characters. Some more erh... normal ones are needed. Maybe they will work. I dunno.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

We need a bad guy, and I don't know what Ernie should be yet. I thought of a janitor, but I didn't like it after thinking it over. So, maybe he should be our bad guy? Evil robot with a brain! *Gasp* That's just a sketch, so I'll need to make him more ghost-looking or add some limbs.

Otherwise, yeah. Daleks is a dino. pang is a samurai/ninja. Skele is a skeleton pilot (obviously :P). Lastly, pickpocket is some kind of jailbird. Maybe you could be the guy that breaks into stuff and, I don't know, hacks the robots or something?

I did want Skele to have a bigger role because him being a slave is kind of small for such a dynamic person. I mean, he's a ****** skeleton AND a pilot? Maybe he could do transport in the story? Y'know, fly the team to their destinations?

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

We need a bad guy, and I don't know what Ernie should be yet. I thought of a janitor, but I didn't like it after thinking it over. So, maybe he should be our bad guy?

Yeah! Though, I think he should have more of a human look to him. We could make him one of those lovable villains. And it would make it more entertaining too. Make the entire thing seem lighter with humorous verbal attacks from the villain and humorous enemies. Like that thing from "give up". I forget its name right now....
OH I have another good idea. We have one character that you start as, maybe salvy? Then, you are attacked by robots to which you show the controls. Then you run around a bit and find a plane. Then you find a dead pilot. He is skeleton pilot. He gets up and you are both attacked by robots. He is AI controlled for now. Then, once they are all dead, you and SP fly to the major city to take out Ernie. At this point, you unlock SP as a play able character. Then, you continue to advance through the city. You hear rumors of a rebellion being planned in a Chinese restaurant. You ask the manager about it and he pretends he doesnt know. You then tell him you would like to help him, and he explains. He is the owner of the restaurant, and a samuri master named pangtongshu. He cannot take the robots anymore and joins you. Now you can play as salvy, pang, or sp. Then, pang brings up another person. He says this person could be very helpful to us in our efforts. He explains that this person is very good at hiding, and hasent been seen in years. He is a bit like a robin hood, stealing from the robots and helping people. You head through downtown in search of this person, only to be ambushed by robots. When you think all hope is lost, someone shows up on scene in the nick of time to save the group. That someone is me, the mighty pickpocket. I realize that I too could help the group, and so I am now a playable character. Then, we hear about the robots capturing animals from all times (this is the future, yes there is time travel) and performing tests on them. So we all decide to attack one of there facilities. We are fighting and decide to open up a few cages. Fortunately, we find another useful addition to our team, Daleks the dinosaur (T-rex to b exact). He was dragged from his mother and brought here. He now can talk do to the tests. He also has larger arms and thumbs, how convenient. We continue through various other quests for a while. Then we go attack Ernie. We destroy Ernie and there is a parade for the heros going on during the credits. Then, after the credits are over, you see the destroyed Ernie machine. Then, it follows a pipe underground were we see the true Ernie, who is actually a human, wake up from a long sleep. This leaves possibility for a sequel and is a fairly good ending.
Thoughts?
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

How long do you expect this game to go for and once you finish it do you plan to have a mode that can keep you entertained for a little while longer?

Sorry I didn't contribute anything just yet but I just want to get a little feel for the game first.

So it is a RPG, Action (?), Platformer and puzzle game? Once I know how long it is I'll try and start right away.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

So am i in ? Im curious...

So now we are on robots?

The_Gentlemen
The_Gentlemen
177 posts
Peasant

Well, if there are flying lazer robots, samurais, and skeleton pilots, why not a gentleman?

Y'know, we need someone that throws jokes that no one understands and calls the skeleton "Skinny".

I kinda have a place in the story for him. And lotsa bios ready.

So, robots created by some mad doctor took over the world. Some rebels remained and fighted, while others fortified their lands.

The mad scientist retreated somewhere and created a cyborg to stop the robots. He gave him the power of various ancient Chinese gods. Because, y'know, he was Chinese. Who else than a Chinese would build a robot army?
He named the cyborg Pangtongush. He's going to be the warrior guy, and have special abilities that I will explain later.

And then we have Pickpocket, a thief that lived his life day to day, until he got a special dagger used by none other than the Robot King. The weapon throwed some sort of robotic virus in him, so now Pickpocket has to kill the robot leader to survive. He's going to be the thief guy (DUH), the one that assassinates enemies and breaks locks.

Zerro Furrbone is a werewolf cyborg created by the robots during an experiment to empower robots with super speed, agility and strenght.
Unfortunately, a wolf fell on the human test subject while the experimental "robotizing" laser hitted him. The result was Zerro Furrbone. He's going to have berserker abilities. The one with highest attack and lowest health.

Erni was one of the rebels. The best fighter in their armies. When the robots killed his wife and family, he started an one-man assault to destroy the Robot King. He's the archer guy, with the only difference that he uses guns instead of arrows.

The Skeleton Pilot was a courageous pilot that tried to launch a nuke right into the Robot King's ***. Oh wait, did I say *** ? I mean head. Unfortunately, he failed. The samurai Pangtongush revived him because he needed a way to get into one of the robot flagballons. He's going to bring the squad into all places. I was thinking about some bullet hell style missions with him, but I don't know if these can be programmed.

The Gentleman was the secret agent of Britain, one of the few nations that resisted the robotic assault. After the nation's scientists found that steam powered weapons highy damaged robots, and after they watched lots of
007 movies, they sended the Gentleman, armed with various gadgets and gizmos, to definitely stop and destroy the robot army. He's the Mage guy, with a steam bar instead of mana.

Daleks is a dino once frozen in Antarctica, found by the robots and brought to one of their flagballons. The dino escaped and is now rampaging in the world. Did I say that due to robotic enhancements he can talk? He's the...uh...I can't really find a role...super behemoth? DUH.

Is everyone happy with my ideas? Do I need to make some changes?
Did I forget someone?

I also know how to use Gimp, so I may do some art too.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Ok, I'll respond to comments about story soon. I ran this stuff by the guys and, well, it's going to be a platformer. So far each character will be able to fit in somewhere, but we're still perfecting the bios. I need a heapload of details for each character; what they look like, rich backstory, relation to other guys, everything. I has to be super in-depth. You don't have to make a backstory for yourself but you can.

How long do you expect this game to go for and once you finish it do you plan to have a mode that can keep you entertained for a little while longer?

There'll be some sort of minigame mode, but I don't know what type yet. I haven't decided if I want the ability to build stuff in the main game or in a minigame mode.

Otherwise, yeah, xerox and Gentleman are both in. I'll start on some more character boards right now.
The_Gentlemen
The_Gentlemen
177 posts
Peasant

Otherwise, yeah, xerox and Gentleman are both in. I'll start on some more character boards right now.

Thanks.

I actually was working on the character bios too. Not exactly now (it's 11 pm here...), but later.

I suggested a minigame up there. Bullet hell anyone?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Actually, xerox's werewolf character might not make the cut. I'm willing to change it, but we voted it out. By "we," I mean everyone but me. :P

I suggested a minigame up there. Bullet hell anyone?

Maybe.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Oh, I forgot xero entirely. But im sure you could squeeze him in, but maybe not as a werewolf...
I shall back story my own genius character. I have two different options for me as a character.
Option 1-No one knows much about him (me). Rumors were that he was just a normal child at one time. The robots came and killed his family and everything he has ever know. Now, he constantly seeks revenge on the robots for what they did to him. At one point, he worked with pangtongshu and SP- but before he was SP. SP was just P. Then the robots killed him. I was determined not to lose another friend, so i broke in and stole in and stole high tech robot equipment. Pang hit some buttons, and skeleton pilot was born. Since I attacked the base alone, the rbots would come to look for me, but no one else. I run away from the team and go into hiding, becoming more of a myth than a person. Mean while, Pang hears of a new rebel (sal) and sends skeleton pilot to pick him up while pang stays and looks over the Chinese restaurant.

This character I imagine more of an assassin and stealth based. For a design, a black/purple cape with a hood would do.

Option 2
In this version, he (still me) was raised by his family till the age of twelve. This is when the robots take over. He is split from his parents. He is then found by a rebel group, almost like a gang. Though still young, he was an asset to the group. He was small, quick and smart. He was an expert thief. He most talented as a pickpocket. The group soon refered to him only as pickpocket. Then, the un thinkable happened. Robots found the rebels. In a fierce fight, the gang leader pushes pickpocket up to the roofs and tell him to run. He runs and runs an runs. He finally stops downtown, were the robots have gotten worse. People are being pushed around. Women and children killed. Pickpocket returns to the old gang base and find the a case belonging to the leader. There is a note on it that says &quotickpocket". He opens it up and finds a mask and a pistol. Now he returns to the downtown area and uses all his skills to defeat many of the robots. When the robots leave, the people cheer and look for there savior, but he is no where to be seen. Pickpocket secretly continues to protect the people. He functions as a robin hood character for many years. That is, until a group of well trained rebels come in search of the mythical man. Their mission, destroy the robots once and for all.
This character I would imagine having either just the eye covering mask or a full face mask. A black hoodie and black pants would go well. I prefer the ideas of a full faced mask either white or black, but thats your choice. This character would have a mouth like spiderman. He would be less stealthy than the previous one, but still pretty good. A bonus for this character would be the ability to earn 10% more cash from killing enemies (if you include money)

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Ah... the cute werewolf is always the one, everyone hates....

So the Talking dinosaur, the somehow alive skeleton, and the Ninja Cyborg are in? Yes, this game is sooooo realistic!

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, this game is sooooo realistic!

games are supposed to be realistic? Since when?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Both options are good, but the gang one sounds more appealing because it hints at some more backstory and I'm not in the game. I'll do a character board for you tonight, probably.

Anyway, here is a basic CB for pang.
pang flying
pang standing
I thought it would be interesting if he didn't have a face, but could still make noise. It adds to the ninja idea, but considering pickpocket is a similar character we might have to make some changes.

Oh, and here's The Gentleman's super rough draft. I can't draw suits. :X

royalguy
royalguy
148 posts
Nomad

this sounds interesting

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

Anyway here is the real bio of my char:

A wolf raised by wolves in the forest. He lives happily, until he hurts his foot, then falls on the street and is hit by a truck. The waaambulance comes to the rescue and sends him to the hospital. 5 hours the doctors try to save him, but the chances are too low.. The doctor looks at its clock and says The time of D.. BOOOM And bunch of robots come in the room, and kill everyone. The city is attacked by the robots, and they are everywhere killing peoples. One malfunctioning robot, looks at the dieing wolf and feels something deep inside. He takes it and uses his robotic skills to bring him back to life, with his own parts. The wolf is alive once more, and he joins the robots, killing the humans. The mad scientist who made the robots gets mad, because the wolf is not a robot and makes everyone hunt it down and destroy it... The wolf is scared and goes to hide to his former friend, the robot that rescued him is Reprogramed and now is after the wolf too. When is so close to strike him, he starts to cry with oil tears. Then he selfdestructs letting the wolf go wild. Now the wolf is MAD and wants to destroy that evil scientist by any means necessary. He starts to learn to talk so he can learn to curse. Now he joined some group of weirdos....

Showing 16-30 of 202