ForumsThe TavernWhat makes you hate the internet?

46 7193
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Everyone loves the internet but sometimes you just want to rant. I'm in that sort of mood now and I'm sure other people are sometimes too. I've cooled off now (I'm righting this after I wrote the rant) but I just need to post it.

If there's one thing I hate about the internet is arguing. It's the most mindless sort of talk that happens everywhere and most of the time it is completely pointless and unnecessary. Before you start an argument you have to know one thing. No matter what you say, even if you completely destroy their argument, even if you make them look like a fool... they will never say my username. Sure that happens in real life too, but on the internet it seems that there is an invisible barrier where you can be as stupid as you want and make the most strange accusations without anyone saying, "Wait a minute, I didn't even talk at all about the argument". It frustrates me how both people go out of an argument thinking that they've won the argument and the only way they will admit they were wrong is by making some stupid excuse. ("LOL YOU GOT TROLLED!", "U MAD BRO!&quot even when they were being serious when trying to win the argument.

That's another thing; winning an argument. How do you win an argument on the internet? The same way you win a rap battle; insults. The more you insult, the more you win, (Eg. "Look, I hate tolerating mindless idiots like you but to be honest, I just can't help point out your stupidity). BAM! That guy thinks he has one the argument immediately. No matter what he says after that, unless you come up with a better insult (That makes you lose dignity) you feel like you are somewhat lower than the person you are talking to.

And then there is people that avoid questions that are in the post and instead focus on something minor and insignificant.

Person 1: " Im pretty sure Obama has not killed 6 billion people. I don't even think there is 6 billion people on this earth"

Person 2: "YOU CAN'T EVEN type I'M. If you can't use punctuation than you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Also, there is 6000000001 people on earth so I'm right."

Person 1: "So you're saying 5 years ago there was 12 billion people on earth and that Obama killed half of them? You didn't answer my question.

Person 2: "ACTUALLY 6 YEARS. LOL. I WIN"

Person 1 messed up a couple of facts and figures but person 2 has completely avoided the area which he was wrong and yet he still thinks he's won. It makes no sense!

ARGHHHGHGHGHGHGHG! *rage internetz quitz*

But seriously, I've been meaning to post this for a while. It's half the reason I have my username.

What makes you hate the internet? I would like to know. It doesn't have to be a rant like mine.

• 46 Replies
Aradesh2
Aradesh2
6 posts
Scribe

Heh... Nothing makes me hate it. Just time-killing.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

One of the secondary jobs of the mods here on AG is to ensure a certain standard of debate, especially in the WEPR. Not because that's explicitly written into the site policy, but because we care about encouraging a culture of proper argumentation. And given what I've seen of other forums, it's far from perfect but we have it pretty good over here, considering this isn't a forum that purports to be focused on intellectual debate.

The internet is a double-edged sword, insofar as it allows rapid exposure to a huge diversity of material that reflects every state and aspect of our wants and needs. That's the good part. The downside is that it's just as good a vehicle for hatred. The observation of justice in a court can be completely ruined by a trial by Facebook at the mere mention in the news that one has been arrested on suspicion of a crime. Bullying suddenly comes in express form and the targets are even more vulnerable and isolated than ever, as complete strangers turn into rabid mindless idiots eager to destroy something, anything.

Gotta watch out, it's like a jungle out there.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I hate it when idiotic people can't type properly.
It isn't that hard, if you think about it, especially on a forum you should at least try to do it coherently and not look like an idiot.
Only place I find there's an exception is if you're not a native English speaker, but, even at that them people try to type to the best of their ability.

I hate it when people talk about something they don't know, for example someone trying to explain what something is when they actually have no idea what they're talking about.

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

When native Americans/ Brits write worse english than others.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

There's nothing I hate about the Internet.
I love Internet!

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Eh not really much at all. The Internet is fine, it is just sometimes the people on it that bug me.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I really enjoy the internet. It provides an increase in knowledge, entertainment, and Armor Games.

I really hate the internet. It insults your intelligence, spreads false rumors that cause people to panic, and it also has Facebook. I get so tired of seeing that "F" all over the place. Dum Dum wrappers, Grocery Stores, Porta-Pottys, pencil sharpeners...

Other then that, I like the internet. It's always nice to me.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

There is a certain site, that is the visible line of the Darkness of the Internet. That site just represents what we can find even deeper in that maze of eternal evil. I would not say the name of the site, because someone can go and look and lose his mind. Many of you may know it. Ok here is a hunt. It starts with a number.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

What makes me hate the internet? The fact that I can't get away from it.

There is a certain site, that is the visible line of the Darkness of the Internet. That site just represents what we can find even deeper in that maze of eternal evil. I would not say the name of the site, because someone can go and look and lose his mind. Many of you may know it. Ok here is a hunt. It starts with a number.

"Hey dude, I just hit this guy with my gold club! I screamed 'FORE' before I hit him, but he didn't move and now he's knocked out! I think his name was 'Chan' or something..."
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

I hate it when i'm playing games and then...

U MAD BROOOO????
**** YOU ******

All that stuff... And btw been called a ******. I'm chinese and german :P

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ok here is a hunt. It starts with a number.

Pfft, 4chan may be considered a &quotortal to darkness" (also consider somethingawful back in the day). But if you couldn't be bothered with all that namby-pamby threshold politics where people there seem to pretend that they're being all edgy and warped and have funny ideas about whom they should discriminate against, you might as well head over to 7chan, because in 7chan, anything goes. You've been warned.
zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

^ Or it may be 9GAG.

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

^ Or it may be 9GAG.

That's the portal to beating dead horses, but it's certainly not a dark one, I assure you.

Also, the only reason 4chan is that popular is because people keep making a bigger deal out of it than it is:

Case in point. I mean really, if 4chan represents some sort of "internet darkness", than I'd say there isn't all that much to worry about.
colony101
colony101
44 posts
Shepherd

well, of course, ads. every video and 15 minutes there is an ad on youtube
not just on youtube though.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

9GAG is literally that, a site for gags. And certain lowbrow memes, in particular those funny face memes.

Some would unfavourably compare 9GAG to reddit (I don't see much for comparison). Reddit is supposed to be the "highbrow internet reader" haunt. Maybe high(er)brow is more like it.

Case in point. I mean really, if 4chan represents some sort of "internet darkness", than I'd say there isn't all that much to worry about.

Either that, or you're part of the hopelessly corrupt youth from the Internet generations :P

Something else I'd like to point out: all those sites that advertise themselves as being content-restriction free (and therefore where you're more likely to see a whole lot of stuff that should be illegal in your country), tend to fall prey to lawyers once they get large enough to attract attention from the authorities. Unless their server happens to be hosted in a country where everything is legal, or else they use some very tricky tricks (which I shall not discuss here) to essentially hide the location of their server, but that's pretty darn expensive.
Showing 1-15 of 46