ForumsPopular MediaCrossing the Line

10 4498
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Hmmmm....should I put this thread in the Popular Media section of the Tavern.
*Hours of thinking*
Eh, I guess the Popular Media thread is better for it. Plus it is in more need of new threads then the Tavern is.

O, you actually want to know what this thread is about and not just hear me ramble about what section I should put it in. Fine, don't worry about the struggles of my life. Just skip this and read on.

The Internet. What a great place. All the people talking and chatting because of social media. Learning things, looking at memes, etc. There are also celebrities of the Internet too! You can talk with them which you would probably never be able to do without the Internet.

Yet, you begin talking to celebrity A, but how do you know when you have gone to far? Should you actually send them a message in the first place when you don't even know them? What if you really want to talk to a certain one. What would be the best way of contacting them without crossing the line?

So pretty much for you people to lazy to read all of that above, how do you talk to a celebrity on the Internet without acting like a stalker?

• 10 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I haven't ever come across a celebrity online, but I've met several in real life. I remember when I first talked to Mitt Romney I was so nervous I couldn't stand. xD

I know I'd be a bit more collective on the internet, but I'd still say something along the lines of, "OMGILOVEUSOMUCHURAWESOME."

It's just my way of saying I like them. If they think I'm weird, then it's their business.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

how do you talk to a celebrity on the Internet without acting like a stalker?

Ummm... the same way you'd communicate with anyone else that you barely know, maybe a bit more professionally depending on the person. Don't press them for personal stuff. The occasional general 'what are your hobbies?' questions are usually fine. Take it slow. Don't be obsessive ("Hi. I noticed that you haven't responded to any of the 47 messages I've left you in the past hour. Why not?&quot. And above all, don't post anything you wouldn't want the rest of the world to see.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

You'd have to find a place to talk to them where they're incognito... if the celebrity makes him/herself obvious, that celebrity is going to be receiving hundreds of messages every day! At that rate, your message will never get noticed, so you'd have to find a site that's lesser-known to crazy internet fanatics.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

It would depend on who the celebrity is.
I've seen a few celebrities and haven't been "starstruck" as many people say they've been.
I rarely obsess over celebrities, they're people.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

It's just my way of saying I like them. If they think I'm weird, then it's their business.

I think your weird if it means anything...
But I would just say hello n stuff. Like normal. You know how to talk normally right?
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Don't be obsessive ("Hi. I noticed that you haven't responded to any of the 47 messages I've left you in the past hour. Why not?&quot

Hrm...I might have an issue then. haha, no. I would never do that.
"OMGILOVEUSOMUCHURAWESOME."

Pretty much how I would feel on the inside. I would be more calm on the outside.
At that rate, your message will never get noticed

So how would you be able to get your message noticed without finding some incognito site?
I rarely obsess over celebrities, they're people.

What???? I thought they were robots from other planets. I don't obsess over most celebrities, just a few.
You know how to talk normally right?

What is this word you speak of called normal? I think my normal around friends would get me a restraining order.
Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

one word....... Twiter

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

When meeting people it's good not to be too excited...

But don't be too casual.

"SUP Obama"

Or too excited...

"OMGILOVEUSOMUCHURAWESOME."

Spamming twitter doesn't help either

"Hi"
"Hi"
"Hi"
"Hey"
"R u dead?"
"U thar?"
"OMG YOU'RE DEAD"

There isn't really a right way to talk to someone. I guess it's best to be normal though.

"Hey, sorry to take up your time but could you please..."

Than again, don't be too nice...

"Is that dirt on your shoe? Let me get that. *polishes shoe* Oh, you've got something in your teeth. Don't worry, I brang floss.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

one word....... Twiter

Lol, you didn't even spell it correctly.
There isn't really a right way to talk to someone. I guess it's best to be normal though.

Wow, almost exactly I was going to phrase my first sentence.
Spamming twitter doesn't help either

I don't even like Twitter. The character limit would drive me insane.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

So pretty much for you people to lazy to read all of that above, how do you talk to a celebrity on the Internet without acting like a stalker?

Thank you Daleks, I am in a lazy mood today.

I haven't actually talked to any celebrities at all, not on the internet nor in real life. I guess that makes me like everyone else in a way. But if I were talking to a celebrity I would just act casual and talk to them like they are a human being, which they are! I don't see why people freak out when they see a celebrity; to me, I just see another human being who is being harassed 24/7. Plus acting like a stalker would be somewhat inevitable seeing as when a person becomes a celebrity all there private information just winds up on the internet, so technically, everyone who is a fan of some "celebrity" would be a stalker. I would just talk to them about a subject and not go into deep personal details about the person. That is all I'd do. Simple and effective.
Showing 1-10 of 10