ForumsArt, Music, and WritingLimited - How Much Art Will You Make?

9 5151
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I like to do photo manipulation in GIMP (It's basically a poor man's version of Photoshop). Sometimes, when I'm looking at an image I've finished, I realise how long it has taken me to finish it. Usually it takes me an entire day for small projects and for larger projects maybe 2 or 3 days (about 20 to 30 hours). Then I realise that I'm only going to be able to make a very limited number of pieces.in my lifetime. The thought is kind of depressing.

I did a little number crunching with van Gogh and the number of artworks he did in his 37 year life. (Taken the numbers from wikipedia)

Van Gogh finished (around) 2100 pieces of artwork his whole entire life.
That's around 57 pieces a year.
About 4 to 5 pieces a month.
And 1 piece a week.

I want to make lots of artwork, but I also want it to be quality work and not rushed. 2100 pieces is a lot of artwork and had van Gogh lived longer it would have been more, but one piece a week that seems rather slow. Plus, I have other things to do than just make art all day, so for me it's probably like one piece a month or so.

Just a thought though, but I was wondering how anyone else here feels about the limit to the amount of art they can make.

• 9 Replies
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

It is sorta depressing, but I'm not to worried about it. As long as I can get to the point where I can make art pieces that I'm happy with, I'll be content. In other words, reaching excellence is my goal. Creating many excellent pieces would just be the cherry on top.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Plus, I have other things to do than just make art all day, so for me it's probably like one piece a month or so.

Yep, I have to accept the reality that either I throw away my career, or I wait several years before I can even get down to drawing properly on a regular basis, if even that.

This means that some of the projects I'd love to do, I'll never get around to doing. And some of the other works I want to complete, I'll need to have other people do a lot of the drawing for me. Art in general, creative works are time-consuming, and also all-consuming. You can't just do it "on the side" and expect to put out a significant body of quality work.

The good news is that as you get better, you also get faster and you gain the ability to do new things. Things that didn't seem possible before suddenly become achievable, and with persistence, even realistic. I'm comforted by the fact that I have predecessors who have been able to juggle both a job and being a professional artist and their output is staggering.
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I make it for fun, nothing else. I don't care how much I make over my lifetime because this is something I love to do and art is a way I can just do what I want. I do not plan for this to be a job, so I think that contributes to my thinking on this. I do about 1-2 paintings a week but I do probably 3-4 drawings a week. I also write a lot so I do some of that a week. So... I guess my thoughts on it are that I do not care; at all. I do this for the enjoyment of the process and the outcome art brings, not the amount I can produce.

khaiduong
khaiduong
22 posts
Peasant

art i do fun make u less stress

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I suppose, being a poet, that I am able to work faster than a traditional artist. Incidentally, 57 was the number of poems I submitted to DA last year. This year has been more fruitful, with 97 submitted so far. On average I'd say I am approaching 2 poems a week, but there are dry spells where I am not inspired to write. My hope is that this will be something that I carry on and refine through my life...

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Well, Confucius once said "choose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life".

Usually, I myself do art for fun and leisure and manage to improve from crap to ok standard. Its because I am interested in anime and mecha stuff that makes me wanna draw and draw.

So take it easy on yourself and do the things that you like, bro and after all, being a professional like Strop or Cenere is not that easy unless you take passion into it.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

but one piece a week that seems rather slow.

I wouldn't say that pace is slow at all...especially considering the attention to details, his anxiety, and his depression
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

being a professional like Strop or Cenere

Pft. Strop's a doctor with no time to draw, I am getting a degree in information science and only draw sporadically. We are not professional.
Even if I am considering a degree in animation. It's in the future.

I often do think I should be drawing more, but I rarely have the time or motivation, and if I do sit down to draw it doesn't end up to be well done pieces of art.
Then again, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that I don't draw as often as I should. To keep in practice and all. Sketches and doodles are not really art, but they are important to the well being of an artist, just like writing down snippets is important to a writer.

Anyway, a limit. I guess it only matters to your children and grandchildren, since the majority of artists only get real famous when they die.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Pft

Haha, its a complement lol.

Anyways, its nice to be proficient in many talents lol.
Showing 1-9 of 9