Forums

ForumsFlash Games

Distance Games

Posted Dec 1, '12 at 10:33pm

JackMinnow

JackMinnow

28 posts

A phrase I've coined, a "distance" game is where the object is to throw or get a person or thing as far as possible. Examples: Flight, Burrito Bison, Polar Bear Sports, Kitten Cannon, etc. Though the concept has been around for ages, it died eons ago for me. Anyone know of a good twist or perhaps an idea that could bring much needed freshness to the genre?

Posted Dec 1, '12 at 11:33pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,471 posts

You've coined a phrase for something which already has a term for it. They are called launch games.

Anyways, there isn't all that much to them. The good ones have a decent amount of skill involved along with the upgrades you currently have. There's not much of a twist that can add anything to them as the end goal is just go far...so at most you can add different levels or obstacles.

Into Space 2 is a fairly good one though, since there's missions and things to do also.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 5:06am

JackMinnow

JackMinnow

28 posts

Ah, never heard that term. True, not much else to say on the topic. I'll check Into Space 2 out.

Posted Dec 2, '12 at 5:40am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,020 posts

I *smashed head into keyboard* hate *smashes head again* these *once more* games *final time*

To me..they are all the same game
Launch, do poorly
Upgrade
Do poorly again
Upgrade
Start to do somewhat better
Upgrade
*repeat a few times*
Random interval where you surprisingly do really well
Upgrade much more with more money from random better run
Do pretty good
Upgrade
Pretty good
Upgrade
*repeat*
Do really well...like time before...except achieve "victory"

Congratulations...you just did the same exact thing over and over and over and over and over again until one of those times made you go far enough to be "victorious"

Posted Dec 3, '12 at 2:14am

JackMinnow

JackMinnow

28 posts

*Hands Pang some Advil* Here ya go.

Posted Dec 3, '12 at 3:14am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,020 posts

*smashes advil into face* Thanks...couldn't use keyboard anymore after breaking it haha also..please keep my name lowercase..thank you!

And just played Into Space 2...missions was a very very very very very nice touch...other than that it was still the same annoying game

Posted Dec 8, '12 at 8:58am

JackMinnow

JackMinnow

28 posts

Hooray for it holding my attention for longer than 30 minutes!

Posted Dec 8, '12 at 1:13pm

EagleOfFire2

EagleOfFire2

131 posts

Congratulations...you just did the same exact thing over and over and over and over and over again until one of those times made you go far enough to be "victorious"

That's pretty much the definition of every single game...

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 1:44am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,020 posts

No...I mean literally the same thing over and over again. Other games may have the same idea/concept when playing it..but at least have some changes in the gameplay...this, you literally upgrade, launch, then either move left or right a tiny bit while the computer does most of the work

Posted Dec 9, '12 at 6:01am

JackMinnow

JackMinnow

28 posts

Lolwut?

Good games typically have you do lots of different things to accomplish a goal.

Reply to Distance Games

You must be logged in to post a reply!