ForumsWEPRCauses of Crime

55 18163
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I was wondering what you the gamers of AG think the cause of crime is?

• 55 Replies
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

No father means no role model and no one to be an example. If the person doesn't grow up in a Christian household, than sin is all they know. Also, without a father, there is need. No single cause creates crime. If just one of these are there though, there is a good chance of it.

Are you saying that since I didn't grow up in a christian household, everything that I do is a sin. Well, obviously we do some of the same things. (Eat, drink. breath) but since I don't believe in your religion those are sins?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I feel as though most crime comes from three things.
1. no father
2. sin
3. need
No father means no role model and no one to be an example. If the person doesn't grow up in a Christian household, than sin is all they know. Also, without a father, there is need. No single cause creates crime. If just one of these are there though, there is a good chance of it.

The father is a helpful figure, but you can draw inspiration from your grandparents, your parents' friends, your relatives, your teachers, anything. Many have lost their fathers, even both their parents. What they do from then on is in their hands.
As for the sin, if I saw someone shoot someone in the head, without provocation, warning, or a batted eyelid, I would consider it wrong. Very wrong. Yet here's the catch: I am not a devoutly religious person.

In fact, your statement is self-destructive, because even with a devout religious family where "Thou shalt not kill" or the equivalent is taught daily, the Crusades, among many other big, bloody wars still broke out. Both sides believed they had a right and the backing of their god to help them. But, I highly doubt that either god was helping considering blood was being spilt over texts that said in bold "Do not kill"

Crime is fully dependent on the person. Some people are violent or at least unstable, and the lack of something or the kindling of anger will set them off. Others may be poor and surrounded by wealth, and are obliged to steal. Some people may be overt hoarders, willing to nick small items without causing much damage, a minor crime.

There is no set list of causes of crime, merely the analysis of a psychologist.
SwordmasterQ
SwordmasterQ
29 posts
Nomad

You guys are overthinking it. Crime is not a complicated matter of religion and upbringing. It is simple human nature. Wether you think humans were created from an act of God or evolved, I think we can all agree that in both of those situations, people initially lived in small, family groups. There would be little or no crime there, you can compare small communities with larger ones to prove that. The crime happens when a sh**load of people have to live in close proximity.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Indeed I heard of an experiment where they put mice in an environment where they have everything they want (not like small families where everyone has to help), and the mice became increasingly psychotic. This could at least be one more factor.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I feel as though most crime comes from three things.
1. no father
2. sin
3. need
It is widely believed that having an abusive father can cause children to be abusive as well.

2: Read my previous post about religion in these sorts of debates (page 2 of this thread)

3: need for what, I don't think needing love is going to make me commit crimes.

~~~Darth Caedus
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Time to use Logic to determine why crime happens.
1: Crime is defined as going against Human Law.
2: Human law is a rule set down by the people in order to further a specific purpose, such as protecting the people, or in some cases, suppressing them (That applies for dictators/Hitlerites).
3: Religion and law interact when the "Good" virtues of religion coincide with laws protecting against "Bad" acts such as murder, theft, etc.
4: People have many different inherent personalities augmented by life experiences.
5: Negative life experiences and/or inherent personalities will cause a person to commit negative acts, whetheras positive experiences and/or personalities will cause someone to commit positive acts.
6: Depending on the nature of the law, different acts, positive OR negative, will go against it.
7: THEREFORE, it is our life experiences combined in some way with our inherent personality that causes us to break the law/commit crime, and different combinations will break different laws depending on the nature of the laws.
The above logic proof is, while vague, Sound, Convincing, and Valid. This thead just got Logic'd. I just coined that, Logic'd. No one steal it!

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

3: Religion and law interact when the "Good" virtues of religion coincide with laws protecting against "Bad" acts such as murder, theft, etc.

but religion shouldn't be used in any way to create a law.
then your suppressing the freedom of those whit a different believe.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

5: Negative life experiences and/or inherent personalities will cause a person to commit negative acts, whetheras positive experiences and/or personalities will cause someone to commit positive acts.

doesn't have to.

just think of the storys where some kid whit rich parents turns into a criminal even tho he had everything he wanted as a kid.
or those people that always have been unlucky and have a hars life. but despite it all, they like to help other people in any way they can.
letsgome_gome
letsgome_gome
752 posts
Nomad

because criminals are angry at someone or just plain bad.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Nah. Replace "will" with "might" and you might have gotten something. Just because you had some bad experiences doesn't mean you certainly will do something bad. It just lowers the threshold in some way.

or just plain bad.

This certainly applies to a small minority of psychotic cases only. "Just plain bad" sounds more like an excuse when you don't know what else to find.
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

You don't have to be brought up in a Christian household to become a law-abiding citizen. I believe that many of those brought up in Bhuddist, or Muslim, atheist or Jewish households are law abiding too. Ignorance of the Christian faith is not a cause of crime.
I imagine that in some lifes bringing up a child strictly in the Christian faith might be a cause of crime in later life when the child is strong enough to stand up to the parents.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Nah. Replace "will" with "might" and you might have gotten something. Just because you had some bad experiences doesn't mean you certainly will do something bad.

Sometimes it even works the other way. On 20/20, I think, two sons of an alcoholic, abusive father were interviewed. The first, an abusive, unemployed, and unmarried drunk, cited his father for his position in life, as he was his role model. The second, a successful, married, and kindhearted businessman, also cited his father for his position in life, because he wanted to be nothing like him.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

because criminals are angry at someone or just plain bad.

And what about those that steal, let's say bread for their family, because they are too poor to be able to pay for it?
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The above logic proof is, while vague, Sound, Convincing, and Valid. This thead just got Logic'd. I just coined that, Logic'd. No one steal it!

You're not pompous at all. Right?
http://www.gabe-e.com/rushes/analysis/barbossa1.jpg

As I said before, crime is fully dependent on the person him/herself.
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Ahoy there Barbossa! I try to be confidant, not pompous. Sorry.
I'll just replace "will" with "might" and call it a Logic'd. I dont see any other bits getting picked at, so...yay.

Showing 31-45 of 55