Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Merits, Reviews, and AP: Issues and Suggesstions

Posted Dec 12, '12 at 12:25am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,585 posts

I also think you should make armor points simply by playing the games and thus spending time on Armor games.

Already discussed in other threads

but even 0.1 points per play could add a sufficient bonus just to say hey, thanks for playing

Open...get points..refresh..get points..refresh..get points..refresh...get points

It would also be cool if you got +10 AP for successfully reporting spam/advertising commments, again just to say thanks for caring.

You'd have a lot more of a chance with ad comments..but if you properly report 'em to Ferret then there is a chance for a merit

Posted Dec 13, '12 at 3:23am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

[b]

I easily can write a thorough comment about a game (albeit, not merit worthy..but a fairly sizable comment nonetheless) in a couple of minutes

I can do that in like 30 seconds.

Then chances are it's probably not that great of a comment.

I also think you should make armor points simply by playing the games and thus spending time on Armor games.

For completing the games, maybe you should get AP.
Not simply for playing it, that just would encourage people to AP farm even more.

Just type up and random words and bypass lol...

If you're aiming for more AP, that's usually a stupid thing to do since it'll eventually get deleted.
Whereas; if you rate games they're not going to remove them points.

It would also be cool if you got +10 AP for successfully reporting spam/advertising commments, again just to say thanks for caring.

5 AP, maybe.
10 is a bit meh, reporting something is quite easy, and shouldn't be worth 40% of a merit which takes a lot of time and effort.

if you properly report 'em to Ferret then there is a chance for a merit

I still don't think half of the things on his page should have been merited, but that's my opinion.
I mean, people who still do get merits nowadays spent plenty of time writing reviews for games and maybe 1 in 10 of their reviews will get merited and yet someone can get a merit simply for posting a link to a necro'd thread.

People should want to report to help the community, not in the hope of receiving a merit.

Posted Dec 13, '12 at 5:58am

letsgome_gome

letsgome_gome

697 posts

I can do that in like 30 seconds.

well it takes me atleast 10 min.

Posted Dec 13, '12 at 7:30am

nichodemus

nichodemus

12,042 posts

Knight

You're not doing it right if you measure in seconds, not minutes.

Posted Dec 13, '12 at 11:27am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

801 posts

Failed quote, meant to quote 'I can do that in like 30 seconds as well'.

Posted Dec 13, '12 at 5:26pm

bTRAIN

bTRAIN

23 posts

but even 0.1 points per play could add a sufficient bonus just to say hey, thanks for playing

Open...get points..refresh..get points..refresh..get points..refresh...get points

@pangtongshu I love how you just skipped right over the opening line of
"It would have to have some kind of spam control (in the same way comments cant be spammed) "

Can you just keep writing spam comments to get points? I'll explain further to make this more clear. There is a 30 second time limit before you can comment again to prevent people from point farming. At least to deter it. So take the same code and set it to, 5 minutes. Even 10 minutes if you think that's fair, per play. So, one has to sit down on and play a game for 10 minutes to get .1 AP. Then people are rewarded for site activity and the exploit factor is gone.

Don't allow it to be farmed, and it's a great addition.

Posted Dec 14, '12 at 2:28pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

So, one has to sit down on and play a game for 10 minutes to get .1 AP. Then people are rewarded for site activity and the exploit factor is gone.

Open a bunch of games in a browser and leave them on for hours. I don't know how they would track you actually playing, sounds like a difficult thing to implement, and a waste of time when there are other more plausible ideas for armor points.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 5:50pm

bTRAIN

bTRAIN

23 posts

So, one has to sit down on and play a game for 10 minutes to get .1 AP. Then people are rewarded for site activity and the exploit factor is gone.

Open a bunch of games in a browser and leave them on for hours. I don't know how they would track you actually playing, sounds like a difficult thing to implement, and a waste of time when there are other more plausible ideas for armor points.

Yay again, another negative naysayer. But sure, I'll counter your dumb argument too because I feel strongly about my point.

The points would not be received EVERY 10 minutes for sitting with a game open. You get your .1 AP once for the play, it just would take 10 minutes to reward it. Not continuous point flow and not on multiple games at the same time. They almost have the same code right now for the 30 second comment lock out.

I know some of you sad saps go to great lengths to farm AP points which literally do nothing but give access to some icons. But I'll be here to say, there is always a way to prevent point farming in the right system.

Posted Dec 16, '12 at 6:16pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,692 posts

Knight

Yay again, another negative naysayer. But sure, I'll counter your dumb argument too because I feel strongly about my point.

Yay, another person easily offended by opposing views.

You get your .1 AP once for the play, it just would take 10 minutes to reward it. Not continuous point flow and not on multiple games at the same time.

1 whole armor point or .1 armor point, as in it'd take 100 of those to get 1 whole armor point?

It still sounds like an absurd idea. Opening 1 game and having to have it open for 10 minutes to get 1 or .1 AP? Yeah, good luck finding supporters for that. The point system is supposed to keep players engaged, nobody is going to like a point system that requires grinding.

Look at the popular and widely supported points idea; achievements. Games having specific goals to achieve so you get points, the points varying based on the achievements difficulties. Look at Kongregate for example.

You want to reduce spam? Cool, but an idea that requires for you to spend an hour to get 6 points is truly ridiculous, and I don't see anybody besides you liking that idea.

Anyway, achievements is already set in stone the last time we heard from an admin. It'll be the main way to get armor points, then there will *probably* be ratings. As for reputation aka points from community involvement, those will be rewarded through up voting in the forum and in game comments, similar to Imgur.

Posted Dec 19, '12 at 1:38pm

TheRed555

TheRed555

89 posts

There should be some rewards for correctly flagging spammy and abusive reviews such as whistle points,and some bad ones for those who are flagging comments wrongly.I like the idea of the reputation system and of course the achievments :)

Reply to Merits, Reviews, and AP: Issues and Suggesstions

You must be logged in to post a reply!